Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Dec 30th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, made an even bigger mess of it than it was before. And thats saying something! And whats with the "vertical pier" bollocks....?

Good turnout for the boxing day dip this year (didn't see you, by the way)- something to do with the incredibly mild weather perhaps.....bet they got a shock when they found the sea was still total brass monkeys
We never got there boxing day - Hemsley instead. The weather was so mild!!!! We also went to the 16th century church - St Cuthberts in Ormesby and walked thro to Ormesby Hall
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

We ate at the Park Hotel in Redcar - carvery - certainly different than lunch the day before!! Apparently the vertical pier isn't too popular with the locals, they voted against it but it still went through. The wall being built is for sea defence, they need to hold it back! There is £74million being spent on the regeneration so hopefully it can become a nice seaside town instead of the dive it has descended too.

We've got to head to Northallerton soon as we are doing our family trees and need to view lots of the records at County Hall.

Houston weather seems quite appealing at the moment, it is pouring down here and has been grey and damp pretty much all Christmas
Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
We ate at the Park Hotel in Redcar - carvery - certainly different than lunch the day before!! Apparently the vertical pier isn't too popular with the locals, they voted against it but it still went through. The wall being built is for sea defence, they need to hold it back! There is £74million being spent on the regeneration so hopefully it can become a nice seaside town instead of the dive it has descended too.

We've got to head to Northallerton soon as we are doing our family trees and need to view lots of the records at County Hall.

Houston weather seems quite appealing at the moment, it is pouring down here and has been grey and damp pretty much all Christmas
The Park was posh in its day - i need to read up on the vertical pier not sure what the heck that is!!! 74m!!!! it should be nice in the end - i come back often (only been in US since March) as my mum is poorly so next time i come in the spring il pop to redcar!!
Im having a trip to london to go to my opticians (lived there for 20 years) wed - first time there since march so that will be a bit odd. Weather in the boro is exactly the same as where i live in Eureka northern CA but there wont be snow in eureka so its home from home for me!!! booo
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Helmsley in October when I had my last visit home. I stopped by at the bakers at the back of Secrets and Surprises. They make the most amazing ginger loaf and ginger biscuits and all the other goodies that are so yummy. We ate lunch at the Fish and Chip restraunt on Borogate absolutely awesome.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KrisL1
I was in Helmsley in October when I had my last visit home. I stopped by at the bakers at the back of Secrets and Surprises. They make the most amazing ginger loaf and ginger biscuits and all the other goodies that are so yummy. We ate lunch at the Fish and Chip restraunt on Borogate absolutely awesome.
When in Oct? Did you get a chance to travel further down the A170 to Pickering for the NYMR's "Wartime on the Railway"?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
When in Oct? Did you get a chance to travel further down the A170 to Pickering for the NYMR's "Wartime on the Railway"?
I was in the area around Oct 15th - Oct 23rd. My parents love going to see the exhibits and the renactments. We actually went the day I arrived, I was so tired by the end of the day. I love the way everyone dresses up in the old uniforms Bristish, American and German, also the locals and folks that visit from afar just dressing up in suits and skirts dresses etc. Was so amazing to be able to visit and talk to a few folks about the whole weekend. The vehicles are cool too. My hobby is reading books and collecting a few items here and there of WW2. Also been to Normandy France a couple of times and Holland, Belgium on tours of the battelfields.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

I was back in Scarborough that same period also, landed @ LHR on the 15th, went with my Brother & his family to the NYMR on Sunday.

We drove down to London on the 22nd, and went to Wembley for the Buccs/Bears game on the 23rd.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

texasjan is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Redcar ! Used to be a lovely little town, but it seems to be dying.......not sure if even all the money they are spending can save it
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is indicative of lots of towns, especially seaside ones these days

We spent a morning in Northallerton when I was up there after Christmas, spent time there with my gran years ago, can't imagine it has changed that much! Lovely place.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:16 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..... Had no idea there were that many yorkies on here!

I'm originally from Leeds (grew up in Alwoodley, then moved to Morley when I married mistake #1 who was a Yeadon lad) ..... Went to high school in Harrogate and Moved to Weaverthorpe just outside of Malton with with mistake #2.... was there about 2 years then we moved to Driffield

Now i'm living in the greater Cincinnati area and have no intention (famous last words right?) of ever going back there to live...... Not that I hate it, far from it, but there is nothing there for me now.......
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Wow; Weaverthorpe and now Cincinnati!! Bit of a difference there! It was a bit like me moving from a farm near Malton to Los Angeles years ago - talk about extremes!!

Welcome to the Yorkie thread, it's surprising how many pop up - there's loads here in Houston
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:58 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
Wow; Weaverthorpe and now Cincinnati!! Bit of a difference there! It was a bit like me moving from a farm near Malton to Los Angeles years ago - talk about extremes!!

Welcome to the Yorkie thread, it's surprising how many pop up - there's loads here in Houston
Oh yeah.... Weaverthorpe is certainly .... ummmm..... Yeah.

Great pub there though, amazing food!

To be honest, having grown up in Leeds, then moving to Weaverthorpe was more of a culture shock than the UK-US move! I was amazed at how everyone in the village knew how many sugars I took in my coffee after a week and only having had coffee with one neighbour! ...... oh, and the amount of in-breeding in that place made Kentucky look normal! (and I live in NKY now so I can say that )
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

My husband is a Sheffield lad, born and bred. He grew up in Shiregreen, we lived in Deepcar then moved to a tiny village outside Harrogate. We now live in the PNW and miss Yorkshire very much, will probably move back someday. We're both Blades, that's how we met.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeks
My husband is a Sheffield lad, born and bred. He grew up in Shiregreen, we lived in Deepcar then moved to a tiny village outside Harrogate. We now live in the PNW and miss Yorkshire very much, will probably move back someday. We're both Blades, that's how we met.
I lived in Shiregreen...moved there when I was 11. I thought everyone from that side of Sheffield were Owls fans.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

I think he just wanted to be different. And difficult.
He doesn't even speak the word "Wednesday". Even here in the states his co-workers have adjusted to his "the day after Tuesday" phrase.

How I would love a steak pie and some sticky toffee pudding from The Blue Ball in Wharncliffe Side. Or a pork sarnie from Lily's in Hillsborough. Even a pastie from Greggs would be a treat.

Living near Harrogate we would hop on the train, ride through Knaresborough over the bridge and by the castle on our way to a day in York. ~sigh~ Gosh we miss Yorkshire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.