Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Oct 12th 2015, 4:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

the powerful ones in the family usually get their way.
And in your world, it seems that is always the male of the species?
Old Oct 12th 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And in your world, it seems that is always the male of the species?
In most cases yes but not always, some women can rule the roost too, I've known a few.

I'm sorry if you don't like what I say but its just my opinion, you are certainly entitled to have one too, I'm all ears.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The problem as I see it is more than just an expat/ international problem, it's people who want to retire somewhere different from where they live(d) while they were working. If you decide after x years to move somewhere else and your children have either left home, or are in their mid teens or older, then they have their own life, and aren't going to come. On the other hand you could drag your children to where you intend to settle and/or retire, and they could still decide to up-sticks and move to the far side of the world, ..... as most people here on BE have done!

The chances of me living and working where my parents have lived since the 1970's has always been slim to none, and my parents knew that. In fact my mother actively encouraged me to move away because of the lack of good career opportunities there. When I was a young child my parents looked at emigrating to South Africa, Australia, or NZ, though it didn't work out. So while my parents stayed put for many years, ever since my sister and I were children, I went to London to live before emigrating to the US, and my sister went to Norwich, then London, then France, then the US, before returning to the UK and settling in Cheshire.

My in-laws used to live next door, until little Miss P was about two. Then just around the time she was starting to learn that Granny and Grandpa lived next door, they moved half way across the state. Now they wonder why they don't see their granddaughter very often!

In short, stop trying to manage where your children live and work, it is unlikely to be effective, and will likely lead to frustration, and quite possibly anger and resentment, potentially on both sides.

That's just daft, melodramatic twaddle. You just sound like you're feeling sorry for yourself! Families where the children move away are not "broken", they are successful, with children having their own career and their own family. Isn't that what people raise their children to do - become successful independent adults?
The problem as I see it...and it has happened to several of our members...who moved when the kids were pre teen. The kids go through high school...then uni...the parents wish to return home for whatever reason. The now adult kids have a life/friends/boyfriend in the US and do not wish to move. The parents then feel guilty because they are the ones who decided to move the family away from the U.K. In the first place.

IMO the above is an entirely different situation to that of having stayed in the UK and your kids deciding to move overseas.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 12th 2015 at 11:23 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 12:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
...... IMO the above is an entirely different situation to that of having stayed in the UK and your kids deciding to move overseas.
I agree, but the results are the same even if arrived at by totally different routes.

My point, perhaps badly expressed, was that people shouldn't torture themselves when they end up (retired) in a different country from their children and grandchildren, because even if they had stayed firmly rooted in the UK their children could still easily up and move far away.
Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I see where you are coming from, but its totally different to what I'm actually talking about.

For what its worth I'm not talking about children as adults moving away from their parents, That's perfectly normal and happens all the time.

I'm talking about young families relocating around the world then not being happy and spliting up, some mothers are pushed around or made to feel guilty by their husbands and children, the mothers then put their lives on hold until some promised date, End of school etc, of course the hubby and kids just hope Mum will calm down and come around, but that doesn't always happen, she still expects to go home at that promised point, it leads to a family split and divorce, the kids then have to chose who they want live with and which country.

I've seen this happen on here a few times its not something I dreamed up.

Families move across the world thinking they all will settle, but some arent happy, most never make plans to return if things dont work out for everyone, they don't anticipate that happening, some do agree to move back but change their minds once they are here, the powerful ones in the family usually get their way.
Ah, I see your point now, yes, different from what I had misinterpreted. ..... And there can be the additional complication that the parent who refuses to "go home" can almost always ensure that the child(ren) can't go home either. PetiteFrancaise has cited at least a couple of cases where a divorced ex-wife has been stranded in France where she has the choice to leave but can't take her children with her, and one case where the ex-wife had no choice but to leave the country because she couldn't afford to keep herself (either didn't have a visa to work, or didn't speak enough French to get a job), and had to leave her children behind.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 13th 2015 at 12:42 am.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but the results are the same even if arrived at by totally different routes.

My point, perhaps badly expressed, was that people shouldn't torture themselves when they end up (retired) in a different country from their children and grandchildren, because even if they had stayed firmly rooted in the UK their children could still easily up and move far away.

But parents do torture themselves because it was their decision to move from the UK in the first place...as opposed to the adult child deciding to move overseas.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see your point now, yes, different from what I had misinterpreted. ..... And there can be the additional complication that the parent who refuses to "go home" can almost always ensure that the child(ren) can't go home either. PetiteFrancaise has cited at least a couple of cases where a divorced ex-wife has been stranded in France where she has the choice to leave but can't take her children with her, and one case where the ex-wife had no choice but to leave the country because she couldn't afford to keep herself (either didn't have a visa to work, or didn't speak enough French to get a job), and had to leave her children behind.
Thanks for the acknowledgement, at least we seem to be on the same page, Jerseygirl and I visit some of the same threads, we have seen families break up as the parents couldn't agree as where to live.

The parents split and the kids ping ponged totally confused, in some cases as in your example a parent forbid the child to leave and the other parent had to leave their child behind, most people don't see this coming but it really happens.

There are other issues that can crop up but again this is why I say don't hang around till kids are older, there is absolutely nothing to gain by waiting, in fact leaving sooner may be better for the child and its education.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

But parents do torture themselves because it was their decision to move from the UK in the first place...as opposed to the adult child deciding to move overseas.
Oh So True!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But parents do torture themselves ....
Life happens. There are a thousand worse things could happen to you or your child(ren) than you live in different countries. Seems pretty much like the definition of a first world problem.

Talking of witch which, what ever happened to the angel of doom?
Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Life happens. There are a thousand worse things could happen to you or your child(ren) than you live in different countries. Seems pretty much like the definition of a first world problem.

Talking of witch which, what ever happened to the angel of doom?
Don't roll your eyes at me young man.

You probably won't experience what we are talking about because your wife is American and you both are settled in the US and have no interest in moving to the UK. You didn't move your wife and child to another country...you came to live in their country and seem very happy. I don't expect you to understand how I feel...

I don't get the last para.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 13th 2015 at 2:40 am.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:45 am

Don't roll your eyes at me young man. ....
I can never think bad thoughts of anyone who calls me "young man", unless perhaps they are Dick Emery.
... I don't get the last para.
"Time for a nice therapeutic bubble bath, perhaps." said the campanologist.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so I have not read the 45 pages of this thread (sorry) but in answer to the thread question: "Me!"

Now I'm opening my last box of Yorkshire Tea and it needs to last me 41 days before I can get to Asda which should not be a problem if I stick to squeezing at least two cups outa one bag
Old Nov 9th 2015, 11:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
Ok so I have not read the 45 pages of this thread (sorry) but in answer to the thread question: "Me!"

Now I'm opening my last box of Yorkshire Tea and it needs to last me 41 days before I can get to Asda which should not be a problem if I stick to squeezing at least two cups outa one bag
We are not from Yorkshire (rather from God's Own County to the West of yours ), but still drink tea from the wrong side of the Pennines. Our preferred blend is Yorkshire Gold Loose Tea which we get delivered every 2 months from Amazon.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We are not from Yorkshire (rather from God's Own County to the West of yours ), but still drink tea from the wrong side of the Pennines. Our preferred blend is Yorkshire Gold Loose Tea which we get delivered every 2 months from Amazon.
SNAP! Yorkshire Gold here too. Found a cheaper source than Amazon for emergency supplies! Are you in Georgia? They do online orders apparently - "Taste Of Britain" in Norcross, near Atlanta - I get Yorkshire Puds and proper Cadbury Choc.

Sorry you are from the red rose area. None of us (incl me) are perfec!

Love Lancastrians really
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:03 am
Just Joined

St Spiridon is an unknown quantity at this point

my late father was from Barnsley
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St Spiridon
my late father was from Barnsley
I was born in Barnsley, still live in South Yorkshire, but in the process of a K1 to Charlotte.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.