Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:50 am
Just Joined

expat93021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Sometimes we got a hot water bottle if we pleaded with our mother for them (sometimes she gave in). It was a cold day in hell when we did get them. I froze my xxx off many many nights. These days I like snow on Christmas cards only.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those ugly metal council house windows although I didnt live in a council house, I remember the tin bath infront of the fire too, that used to be me as a small child.

In the 60s we lived in an end terraced house, 2 up 2 down and our front room was a corner shop, we didnt have a bath or toilet in the house, we'd have to go up someones back yard about 3-4 doors away where there was a row of toilets, I had a few aunties live close by, we would go always go there for a bath.

The Hot Water bottle, ahhhhhhh I loved it, what about waiting for the kettle to boil, then the bottle was too hot to pick up... youd burn your feet... lol.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
It's interesting, that even though we're all from Yorkshire, how different it sounds. Mine was North and was brought up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, no coal mines, back to back houses etc. Though I very well remember the ice on the inside of the windows!! I remember having a bath and having to keep rolling/turning over to warm up the cold bits that were sticking out of the warm water. ....
Yes, so many different experiences. I had ice on the inside of my windows, and that was in the early 70's! I also remember trying to keep warm by moving around in the bath.

My father worked in one of the steel mills, not sure which one, but he was "white collar" and commuted from the leafy suburbs of SW Sheffield. His mother lived on Rural Lane a few miles north. It always amuses me when I hear Joe Elliot of Def Leppard try to play-up the "gritty northen roots" of the band, when I used to live just a half a mile or so from Def Leppard's drummer Rick Allen's parents, also deep in the leafy suburbs.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, so many different experiences. I had ice on the inside of my windows, and that was in the early 70's! I also remember trying to keep warm by moving around in the bath.

My father worked in one of the steel mills, not sure which one, but he was "white collar" and commuted from the leafy suburbs of SW Sheffield. His mother lived on Rural Lane a few miles north. It always amuses me when I hear Joe Elliot of Def Leppard try to play-up the "gritty northen roots" of the band, when I used to live just a half a mile or so from Def Leppard's drummer Rick Allen's parents, also deep in the leafy suburbs.
I remember so well when I left home at the ripe old age of 27 to live in my own house, on my own, Lord, that caused a family rumpus!! Anyway, one of the exciting things for me was that my house had central heating!! No running from kitchen to living room to keep warm!

I guess my upbringing was a bit more James Herriott style (he was in fact the vet for both my parents families) Lambs being kept warm in the bottom oven of the Aga etc. Helping out on the farm, feeding animals that were bigger than me that would knock you over and my Father just telling me to get up and not mess about

We moved farms when I was 10 and I remember walking the cattle the 12 miles from one farm to the other, had to set off after milking in the morning and get them to the new one before evening milking. If we had been rich, we would have been able to afford a cattle trailer to move them!! We moved the furniture on the back of a tractor and trailer, us kids sitting on the settee on the trailer waving at traffic. We would be had up for doing that these days

Happy times
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:00 am
Just Joined

expat93021 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a couple of movies that remind me of home. The first is How Green is My Valley and the second, The Full Monty. So different but yet bringing back familiar memories of England. Any time How Green is My Valley plays on TCM, I make sure to watch it.

Anyone else have the same recollections?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember so well when I left home at the ripe old age of 27 to live in my own house, on my own, Lord, that caused a family rumpus!! Anyway, one of the exciting things for me was that my house had central heating!! No running from kitchen to living room to keep warm!

I guess my upbringing was a bit more James Herriott style (he was in fact the vet for both my parents families) Lambs being kept warm in the bottom oven of the Aga etc. Helping out on the farm, feeding animals that were bigger than me that would knock you over and my Father just telling me to get up and not mess about

We moved farms when I was 10 and I remember walking the cattle the 12 miles from one farm to the other, had to set off after milking in the morning and get them to the new one before evening milking. If we had been rich, we would have been able to afford a cattle trailer to move them!! We moved the furniture on the back of a tractor and trailer, us kids sitting on the settee on the trailer waving at traffic. We would be had up for doing that these days

Happy times
Great stories, On the Herriot note I just want to say Linda Bellingham passed away on Sunday, she played Herriots 2nd wife, what a wonderful woman she was, Ive seen her in many things over the years, she came across as a genuine and nice lady to me.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by expat93021
There are a couple of movies that remind me of home. The first is How Green is My Valley and the second, The Full Monty. So different but yet bringing back familiar memories of England. Any time How Green is My Valley plays on TCM, I make sure to watch it.

I love the Full Monty, it really hits the mark for me with the language I left behind and the places I used to know, you should check out Among Giants.

There are plenty of Sheffield videos on You Tube, Life in a Northern City is one, Im sure other cities have videos on there too.

The Last of the Summer Wine series really hits home for me as does All Creatures Great n Small, and I love the theme music of both.

Brassed Off has to be one of the best movies for that want to be home feeling.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy times
Started to hear the hovis music playing as I read this
Old Oct 21st 2014, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat93021

I can't recall all the details properly but that scene where the lead character (Robert ?? God my memory is bad!) is stood on an upturned boat or something in the middle of the canal, two guys walk along the path and they just nod at each other and say "now then" or "eh-up" as if it was a normal occurrence had me dying with laughter I had to explain to my London chums how true to life that was
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:44 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I can't recall all the details properly but that scene where the lead character (Robert ?? God my memory is bad!) is stood on an upturned boat or something in the middle of the canal, two guys walk along the path and they just nod at each other and say "now then" or "eh-up" as if it was a normal occurrence had me dying with laughter I had to explain to my London chums how true to life that was
One of my favorite movies ever.

I love Robert Carlyle. That scene is great (he's called Gaz,) the entire movie is just so Yorkshire.

Just watched the trailer for it, might have to watch the movie again in the next few weeks.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:39 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
One of my favorite movies ever.

I love Robert Carlyle. That scene is great (he's called Gaz,) the entire movie is just so Yorkshire.

Just watched the trailer for it, might have to watch the movie again in the next few weeks.
When The Full Monty was big and all over Italian cinemas (dubbed of course) I had hundreds of friends asking me what happened in the scene at the funeral. I didn't know why until I watched that bit in Italian. What Italian? The dubbers didn't know how to translate the scene where they hold hands and the others comment "there's nowt as queer as folk". That bit never got translated and the awake Italian knew they were saying something but didn't know what. Admittedly, it is hard to translate something so colloquial but a good translator could have come up with somethig instead of leaving a whole scene blank and without a voice. That was bad.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
.... The dubbers didn't know how to translate the scene where they hold hands and the others comment "there's nowt as queer as folk". That bit never got translated .....
Don't the Italians have an expression for "people are strange"?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

57 Reasons Living in Yorkshire Ruins You For Life

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton...like-it#2tcu72

Some of these photos are stunning, Yorkshire really is magnificent.

The dry stone walls make me homesick for walking my dog in Holmfirth, and her constantly jumping back and forwards over the walls.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
57 Reasons Living in Yorkshire Ruins You For Life

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton...like-it#2tcu72

Some of these photos are stunning, Yorkshire really is magnificent.

The dry stone walls make me homesick for walking my dog in Holmfirth, and her constantly jumping back and forwards over the walls.
Great pictures. Wonder if I'll ever have a Longley Farm yoghurt again?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Henderson's Relish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.