Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Crikey! Reeth! Richmond! Darlo!!

I went to school in Richmond, hiked all over Reeth/Gunnerside and surroundings, dad lives in Darlington & we used to help run DoE field trips for local schools out Reeth (and Teesdale) way I wonder if the accomodation we used in Reeth was Yorkieabroad's miners' cottages?
The ones we went to were a bit down the valley from Reeth - actually above Low Row, and I think the group of 3 or 4 buildings had its own hamlet name - Blades. I'd need to dig out my old OS maps to be sure. The ones we were in were at the very top of a zig-zag track, with the right hand one being the kitchen with a massive old aga, the middle one was the lounge, and the left hand one was the firewood store/stable with the obligatory ghost of a horse and his handler who hung himself on the hook that is still there in the beam. Allegedly. Upstairs was all converted to bunkbeds. It was in need of some work, and sadly, the college that owned it (Prior Pursglove in Guisborough) couldn't afford to bring it up to code for school use, so they sold it, or so the story goes.....We were devastated when we found out - if they had sent out a begging letter to former students, I reckon they could have raised quite a bit towards repairs, rather than just giving up on it....
Old Apr 26th 2015, 12:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
.... - if they had sent out a begging letter to former students, I reckon they could have raised quite a bit towards repairs, rather than just giving up on it. ....
You've been living in America too long.
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkshire folk, if you haven't already heard of or read these books, check them out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fred-Butler/e/B0034OKFSG
Old May 17th 2015, 9:08 am
Just Joined

ammurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just moved in April to Jersey shore area - love it - from Holmfirth which is a lovely place, but spent all my life traveling to London for work - much easier commute now and lots of new things to experience.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ammurphy
Just moved in April to Jersey shore area - love it - from Holmfirth which is a lovely place, but spent all my life traveling to London for work - much easier commute now and lots of new things to experience.
I'm still watching re-runs of your little village every week on PBS, It sometimes bring tears to my eyes when I hear the theme play.

I love the chippy on Hollowgate, Lovely Fish n Chips.

Good Luck with your move to Jersey Shore.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; May 18th 2015 at 12:05 am.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:26 am
Just Joined

nug nugs is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to go to Holmfirth every week. I used to work at the C O Commerce in Huddersfield and loved going there. I also spent a fair few Friday nights many years ago in Holmfirth. Lovely village.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

We have some visitors coming over from Texas next week, whilst they are up in Gods Own Country we have recommended they go to Holmfirth (as much as it pains a NORTH Yorkshire girl to say that!)
Old May 18th 2015, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

ammurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TopSec
We have some visitors coming over from Texas next week, whilst they are up in Gods Own Country we have recommended they go to Holmfirth (as much as it pains a NORTH Yorkshire girl to say that!)
Funny - I took my friends from New Jersey for a holiday in North Yorkshire - we hired a farm house near Pateley Bridge in the Nidderdale Valley and had days out - Settle to Appleby on the steam train, Ullswater, York, Harrogate, Skipton, Whitby - we were lucky though we managed to pick the one week that was in the mid 80s and not a cloud in sight - they loved it.

Though Yorkshire straight talking was a bit of a shock we walked into a pub with 4 adults and 5 kids and it was packed - landlord said - "if tha's lookin' for food for thee an' bairns - it'll tek too long 'ere - do yer sen a favour and go somewhere else" - I had to explain that he was being helpful not rude.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ammurphy
I lived in Holmfirth for 10 years, absolutely loved living there (until we had a kid, and then it became a bit of a drag). You never tire of the view, I used to commute to Wakefield, and no matter how crap the day had been, I used to come around the corner at the Midlothian and smile at that view. Used to love walking the dog in the fields and looking down on the town, also had some great little restaurants there, and some weird little pubs.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:34 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I lived in Holmfirth for 10 years, absolutely loved living there (until we had a kid, and then it became a bit of a drag). You never tire of the view, I used to commute to Wakefield, and no matter how crap the day had been, I used to come around the corner at the Midlothian and smile at that view. Used to love walking the dog in the fields and looking down on the town, also had some great little restaurants there, and some weird little pubs.
I'm the kind of girl that you might have seen in those weird little pubs
Old May 18th 2015, 5:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm the kind of girl that you might have seen in those weird little pubs
Me too. Did you ever go to the Nook? With the old landlord, who was always so pissed, he used to spin the optics and knock himself out with them? Apparently, it's turned into a tapas place now, so not quite the same.
Old May 25th 2015, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

YarmLass is an unknown quantity at this point

Yarm Stockton on tees
Old May 25th 2015, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Roberrrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YarmLass
Yarm Stockton on tees
Ah!

We're just watching benefits street right now.
Old May 26th 2015, 12:32 am
Just Joined

YarmLass is an unknown quantity at this point

Never seen benefits street but must see if it's online-- but yep Stockton is (was) a dump - however Yarm (my real home) on the other hand is one of the nicest places in North Yorkshire. 😎 them again I left 20 years ago so what would I know. 😏
Old May 26th 2015, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Roberrrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YarmLass
Never seen benefits street but must see if it's online-- but yep Stockton is (was) a dump - however Yarm (my real home) on the other hand is one of the nicest places in North Yorkshire. 😎 them again I left 20 years ago so what would I know. 😏
It's pretty good. You can catch it on 4od.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.