Reload this Page >

OKC/Tulsa, Oklahoma

OKC/Tulsa, Oklahoma

Old May 22nd 2013, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

blhayes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OKC/Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hiya!

I moved to Lawton OK last December. Although some people think Lawton is fair grim, I did live in Blackburn Lancashire previously and that is just as grim. I'd like to know if anyone is doing any of those meet-ups? A few of the posts on here seem to be from a fair while back. I'm totally struggling fitting in with the locals, and my lancashire accent doesn't help - no one understands a word that I say, even when I put my 'posh telephone voice' on.
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blhayes
Hiya!

I moved to Lawton OK last December. Although some people think Lawton is fair grim, I did live in Blackburn Lancashire previously and that is just as grim. I'd like to know if anyone is doing any of those meet-ups? A few of the posts on here seem to be from a fair while back. I'm totally struggling fitting in with the locals, and my lancashire accent doesn't help - no one understands a word that I say, even when I put my 'posh telephone voice' on.
Good to hear from someone else from Lancashire. We lived in Blackburn/Darwen for ten years! We are in Tulsa and have managed to find a few other British who's been here for a while. Lawton is a bit far. But if you ever fancy driving to Tulsa to meet up, give me a shout!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Hughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! I have just moved to Tulsa with my US wife and would love to meet up with some expats who can help out with my transition to Okie life!

We're actually getting married in El Reno, OK on the 26th of this month too! Very excited

My name is Phil and I'm 25 years old, originally from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Brock is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm still in OKC! I'm met a couple of ex-pats at the local Indian supermarket over the weekend, (getting my fix for all things curry, they also have Curlywurly's!), the first ones I have met since moving to OKC in 2009 and I nearly fell over backwards after hearing their good old Oxfordshire accent, they have been here 18 years and I was one of the few Brits (possibly only one) they have met in all those years! They are a friendly retired couple, I got their phone number and we plan to meet up, they are only 3 or 4 miles from me, they live in Warr Acres OKC, and I live near lake Overholser,OKC.

I'm well an truly settled in OKC now, but do miss home, especially pubs.

We definitely need to meet up sometime.

BTW..married man, (47) to kids of my own 4 & 8, and a step son (15)

Last edited by Brock; Oct 16th 2013 at 8:16 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Hughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I would definitely be up for grabbing a beer and meeting a few of my fellow Brits - it seems we're a little thin on the ground in Oklahoma! You can reach me at (SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Oct 17th 2013 at 11:20 am. Reason: Not a good idea to put your email on a public forum
Old Nov 30th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Britokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: OKC/Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hi...we are another British couple living in OKC! We moved over a couple of months ago due to husband's work...here to stay for the next few years. Still adjusting to life over here and would be very interested in joining your meet-ups if there is one in the foreseeable future? Hope to hear from someone soon!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Brock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Britokie!

The Brits are massing!

What area of OKC are you located?

I moved from Malvern ,Worcestershire, to the OKC in late 2009, I'm now settled here, mortgage, car loan the whole 9 yards.

If you need any help or tips let me know.

Yep, definitely need a meet up, I was in Tulsa the weekend before last, dropping my step-son off to see some grunge band he likes.

Last edited by Brock; Dec 2nd 2013 at 2:22 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

livingforwards is an unknown quantity at this point

This massing of Brits in OKC is only happening because I lived there 16 years without meeting a single Brit and finally moved to Minnesota last summer.

I didn't like much about OK, but one thing I really do miss is the odd 70 degree days in winter. Minnesota winters are ... I don't even have words... One thing I've learned/learnt with moving about is to always tell the locals that they are the most welcoming, friendly, interesting people you've ever met.

Hope you're all enjoying your get togethers Don't forget to watch for those supercells!
Old Jun 28th 2014, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Kirstyleigh89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brit here too. From Wales, looking to meet with some homely people. I miss the valleys!
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstyleigh89
Brit here too. From Wales, looking to meet with some homely people. I miss the valleys!
Welcome!
Just thought I'd give you a heads up - lest you inadvertently insult someone:

homely: definition of homely in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

Careful...we speak the same language - but we don't
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

West Hammer 14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all ! Leaving the UK in a few weeks heading for OKC. I have been there on holiday many times over the years but now finally taking my wife back to her homeland. Be good to hear from any Brits about your adjustments and recent experiences. I did meet a guy in Edmond this past summer who owns a local bar, so that's a start I guess. I know being on holiday and residency are two different things so looking for any pointers ! Thanks in advance
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:28 am
Just Joined

West Hammer 14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks. Been here now 4 months. Still looking to make contact with some fellow Brits. The closest I have come is to watch football at the crack of dawn in a bar in downtown OKC where I met a guy who has been here for 30 years. Looking forward to summer !
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:35 am
Just Joined

srfairclough is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peeps,

I have been living here since Oct 2013. Have met one Brit geezer, would love to meet up with others. Have been to the pub to watch the footy but it was closed........anyhow if anyone fancies chewing the cud sometime and griping about things over here, like the heat, the tornados, and the drivers. I'm retired military, originally from Bolton, and enjoy rock concerts. Drop me a line if you fancy a get-together or pen-pals (my god how old does that sound?)

Steve

Last edited by srfairclough; Mar 26th 2015 at 2:37 am.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I've been in Norman since last August and would enjoy meeting some fellow brits if there are any still around... Any suggestions for meet ups would be great!

E