Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Moving to Austin Texas

Moving to Austin Texas

Old Dec 10th 2015, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Talahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really nice
Default Moving to Austin Texas

Hi

About to move to Austin from the UK for my husbands work his company is based there. Bringing our two children aged 11 and 13. Anyone around in that area who has made that move?
Old Dec 14th 2015, 8:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Austin Texas

Originally Posted by Talahouse
Hi

About to move to Austin from the UK for my husbands work his company is based there. Bringing our two children aged 11 and 13. Anyone around in that area who has made that move?
You might want to repost this exact thread in the main US forum (if you want "serious" info), or the Trailer Park (if you want to reach out for a casual chat), as there isn't a lot of traffic in the meet-ups sub-forum.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 9:02 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Just moved (sort of) to San Antonio, just down the road
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Talahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really nice

Hi What made you move? And how are you finding it? � ����
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:54 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Hi What made you move? And how are you finding it? ������
Took a new job there and the place just seems more vibrant than where we were in SC (and it is). Also seems to be a lot more tolerant (like Austin I believe) of different 'types' of people. Liking it so far but the real acid test will be when we finally make permanent roots here.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

We felt that in Austin - open people and what appears to be an exciting cultural life.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:00 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

HI, I'm in Austin with kids a bit older than yours... Did you already move?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Hi

Not yet - the plan is to move start of March. But there still seems to be so much to do! Struggling to find a rental in our preferred area of Dripping Springs. Plenty of houses to buy! We have thought of Lakeway but didn't look when we came over and reluctant to commit to a school district when we haven't seen the school. Where are you?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 3:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't the best place for this thread. Maybe the mods would move it to the main forum?

In regards to finding housing, do you have an agent looking for you? They have access to the MLS database and can send you anything that comes up. It's way too early for you to choose something but you will at least be getting an idea of what you will get for your money.

Lakeway has excellent schools - Lake Travis High is really good and lakeway in general is a really nice place to live. Be careful of any commute that your OH or you needs to make if it is in the city centre direction. Commuting generally at peak time is horrible in Austin but Lakeway/Dripping Springs particularly so.

We are in NW Austin just off 183 and Anderson Mill. We chose this area for the schools which are excellent from elementary to high school, it's ended up being a great fit for us since the area is very international - something that I would be more careful about in Dripping Springs....

Pm if you like and need more in-depth help
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There probably are but they're stuck in traffic.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Funny! Currently weighing up traffic versus outside space and countryside in terms of where to live in Austin. Not sure where people compare Austin traffic to. I commute into Cardiff along the M4 motorway in the UK and that can be stop start for 10 or twenty minutes average speed 20 miles an hour.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Funny! Currently weighing up traffic versus outside space and countryside in terms of where to live in Austin. Not sure where people compare Austin traffic to. I commute into Cardiff along the M4 motorway in the UK and that can be stop start for 10 or twenty minutes average speed 20 miles an hour.
Right. But Austin's population is growing enormously and traffic will get worse and not better. They are trying to improve the main roads but there's no real public transport, no proper bike lanes and no plans to improve either. It can take 1 hour to go a few miles on I35 or Mopac or 360 during busy times. Sitting in a car when it's over 100F is no fun.

BTW I discovered a useful extra on google maps. When you put in your starting point and destination and ask for itinerary there is an option to choose what day and what time you will be travelling. Very useful for real commute times.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jan 14th 2016 at 2:40 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you are travelling from to get to Cardiff but this was reported in the local paper last year- I-35 in downtown Austin ranks as 10th worst bottleneck in U.S. | All Ablog Austin

A lot depends on where your work place is situated. If you are working in South Austin, Dripping Springs is not a bad location but a bit rural.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:03 pm
Austin. TX.

I have to take my son to the orthodontist in Bee Caves for an 8.00am appointment. It's 18 miles for me and it takes me 55 mins absolute minimum. AND that is going in the opposite direction to the rush hour traffic. I pass miles and miles of cars sitting on 620 or Bee Caves Road heading towards the city center. Son and I have decided to leave even earlier now and get breakfast nr the orthodontist's.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Not yet - the plan is to move start of March. But there still seems to be so much to do! Struggling to find a rental in our preferred area of Dripping Springs. Plenty of houses to buy! We have thought of Lakeway but didn't look when we came over and reluctant to commit to a school district when we haven't seen the school. Where are you?
Hi! I live in Driftwood which is the next town over from dripping springs. Myself and my Wife LOVE the area and wouldn't change our decision having moved from Boston. I'm very fortunate in that I work from home but my wife commuted to downtown Austin and in peak rush hour will take 45 minutes.

If you have any questions about the area please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.