Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Freestaters? (NH)

Freestaters? (NH)

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future
Default Freestaters? (NH)

I've just moved to the Free State of New Hampshire with my husband who is actually from here. If you don't count my OH's friends, I have no friends here and we live in the middle of No Where which doesn't help. I kid you not, the town is North Weare, shortened to No Weare and it happens to be rather rural, to the point where I can throw stuff and hit our neighbours' land but not their house. Assuming it's an especially good throw and that I'm standing fairly close to the edge of our land.

I'm half-heartedly into Libertarianism, ice-skating and horses, I'm wholeheartedly into yoga, Dr Who and food.

AAAAND living in the middle of nowhere and not really having a clue where to go and being socially inept means meeting new people is pretty much impossible.

Someone please be my friend so we can drink tea and talk about the weather?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freestaters? (NH)

Though you're not in Maine, I'd look on facebook at the Brits in Maine group as a few of them on there live right over the border from NH.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You're an hour from Boston. There's a Boston Brits group that go on a piss up every first Thursday of the month in various bars in Boston and usually have other various meet ups for Halloween, Christmas, whatever if that's your thing.

They're on FB...and probably one for Portsmouth NH I'd have thought, seems like a lot of Brits are out that way, Hampton, Dover etc.

The Metrowest Boston group had a meet up out in Portsmouth at a pub a couple of months back I think it was, so worth a browse there too as there's someone else who joined that's out in NH, though I think a bit south of you towards Exeter somewhere.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
You're an hour from Boston. There's a Boston Brits group that go on a piss up every first Thursday of the month in various bars in Boston and usually have other various meet ups for Halloween, Christmas, whatever if that's your thing.

They're on FB...and probably one for Portsmouth NH I'd have thought, seems like a lot of Brits are out that way, Hampton, Dover etc.

The Metrowest Boston group had a meet up out in Portsmouth at a pub a couple of months back I think it was, so worth a browse there too as there's someone else who joined that's out in NH, though I think a bit south of you towards Exeter somewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't drink and pretty much any groups I've found so far have been pub/bar meetings, even so Boston is a bit far for me - thanks though.

Exeter is only about half an hour though so I might have to look into that and my OH's friends mostly live in and around Portsmouth but any time I want to be sociable with his friends, he comes along so it's hard to branch out on my own. I'm going to have a look for a Portsmouth group next though since it's an area I semi-know already and not too far.

I have made one friend who's local and considering taking me on to tutor her daughter so that should be a good way to meet people through her, she' actually suggested a yoga class run by her friend which is women only so that's hopefully going to get me out and about a bit more which means more chances to meet people.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get used to 1-2 hours not being far. You'd go that far for a dinner
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

It's not the distance as much as the time it would take - there's car-sharing going on right now between me and my OH anyway but also the household (usually 4 drivers and 3 cars) are a car down because of maintenence (OH's engine fell apart) so disappearing with a car for several hours is going to leave everyone stuck in the house while my FIL is at work.

I've made a lot of progress socially though - signed up for the yoga class starting tomorrow and my MIL has introduced me to a nice lady my age she met though church who's new here/has kids my daughter's age as well as the one friend I made already through the freestate forum so I'm forced to take back at least part of calling myself socially inept.

I think it was just a bit daunting knowing I'd be starting again from square one with not knowing anyone. Tiny steps though!