Cleveland Ohio

Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleveland Ohio

My memory was failing me slightly (either that or my girlfriend has upped our budget ), we've been looking at $140k & below.

We're not looking for anything too impressive - we're currently living in 3 bed semi worth about £125k in the East Midlands. We've been impressed with what we can get for a similar amount or less.

Here are 4 houses that get my girlfriend's initial seal of approval. We won't be moving for another 18 months or so, so these aren't, in all likelihood, the actual houses we'll be interested in, just representative of the type of thing we're looking at. The first two are in Avon Lake, perhaps you could comment on the area or anything else pertinent.

http://www.remax.com/realestatehomes...142689081.html

http://www.remax.com/realestatehomes...?lid=145804933

http://www.century21.com/property/49...N007196852?g=0

http://www.century21.com/property/30...0-REN007246466
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The first two are pretty close to the high school and the library. It's an OK area but one of the lesser desirable ones in the city so resale might be annoying. Don't look at Sheffield Village, that's about all I have to say about the third. The last is right round the corner from me. It's a nice area but it does back up to train tracks. I believe that's also a condo area so you may have a couple of hundred dollars a month, give or take, in fees. The taxes are also going to be a lot more.

If I were you I would look at Westlake rentals before thinking of buying. There are a number of very nice ones in the area that are fairly reasonably priced. Village at the Park, Remington, Sturbridge Square, Hunters Chase and Crossings Village for instance. Also realize that Avon Lake is the first city in Lorain county, Westlake is in Cuyahoga county which has much higher taxes. For the most part not a huge deal with renting but buying will mean you pay a lot more in property taxes and certain taxes that are based on where you live (like buying a car) will be higher.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:56 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alrescha
Wow never realized there were so many Brits in Cleveland - I've been in Cleveland heights for 3 years and just moved to Macedonia.

My hair dresser at Crazy Mullets on Coventry used to tell me there was another English bloke in Cleveland Hgts. I wonder if hes on here? Can't be many of us
Think there must be loads of us (I work with 2 other Brits) plus know a handful of others scattered around the Cleveland area
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The first two are pretty close to the high school and the library. It's an OK area but one of the lesser desirable ones in the city so resale might be annoying
Coming from good council-house stock myself, so long as I'm not risking life & limb, the area should be okay for me. Can't vouch for the other half though

Don't look at Sheffield Village, that's about all I have to say about the third.
Could I ask you to elaborate please?

The last is right round the corner from me.
Oh, so you're in Bay Village not Avon?

It's a nice area but it does back up to train tracks. I believe that's also a condo area so you may have a couple of hundred dollars a month, give or take, in fees. The taxes are also going to be a lot more.
Ah yeah. We missed the train line and the fact it was a condominium. In our defence, I'll say it's because we're not looking in earnest yet. My girlfriend's tried but could I ask you, as a Brit, to explain what a condominium is please?

If I were you I would look at Westlake rentals before thinking of buying. There are a number of very nice ones in the area that are fairly reasonably priced. Village at the Park, Remington, Sturbridge Square, Hunters Chase and Crossings Village for instance.
We'll be staying with my gf's mum when we first land. I suspect renting will follow before we're in a position to buy.

Also realize that Avon Lake is the first city in Lorain county, Westlake is in Cuyahoga county which has much higher taxes. For the most part not a huge deal with renting but buying will mean you pay a lot more in property taxes and certain taxes that are based on where you live (like buying a car) will be higher.
Yes, that's one of the main reasons we're looking at Avon Lake because of the reduced taxes in comparison to Cuyahoga county. How much would the difference be per month do you reckon on houses of the sort we're looking at?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Coming from good council-house stock myself, so long as I'm not risking life & limb, the area should be okay for me. Can't vouch for the other half though

Could I ask you to elaborate please?

Oh, so you're in Bay Village not Avon?

Ah yeah. We missed the train line and the fact it was a condominium. In our defence, I'll say it's because we're not looking in earnest yet. My girlfriend's tried but could I ask you, as a Brit, to explain what a condominium is please?

We'll be staying with my gf's mum when we first land. I suspect renting will follow before we're in a position to buy.

Yes, that's one of the main reasons we're looking at Avon Lake because of the reduced taxes in comparison to Cuyahoga county. How much would the difference be per month do you reckon on houses of the sort we're looking at?
Don't want to be a bummer - but this is the "meet-ups" thread. If you have so many questions, perhaps you and Duncan should pm each other. Just a thought....................
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

That thought occurred to me too. Perhaps a mod could separate my questions out into a new thread.

Apologies. I'll post here again with invites to a house-warming
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
That thought occurred to me too. Perhaps a mod could separate my questions out into a new thread.

Apologies. I'll post here again with invites to a house-warming
You don't need to apologize and maybe I've opened my mouth and put my foot in it - but sometimes when someone has specific questions and someone on the thread can answer them they pm each other. I live in the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland (there is a distinct East/West divide which you'll discover when you move here) so I don't know anything about the areas that you are questioning. All the best to you for your move here.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

General comment on Cleveland area meet ups..

I have been here over in the independence area for over 10 years now. I have contact with some Brits every now and again, but I've heard from several of our hosts that there are many of us out there.

Would be interested to hear of any "meet ups"

Stay warm, just popping to clear the driveway ........
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

frankig is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi glemo and anyone else who may not know. I came across a meetup group known as BBC British Buddies Cleveland. They're meeting at the new Pub at Beachwood on March 6th at 7pm. I met them a couple of weeks ago and they're a great bunch. So nice to see so many Brits around. Hope you can make it.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

Frankig,
Many thx , pretty good timing. Hopefully I ll see you there.

Cheers

Glenn
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glemo
General comment on Cleveland area meet ups..

I have been here over in the independence area for over 10 years now. I have contact with some Brits every now and again, but I've heard from several of our hosts that there are many of us out there.

Would be interested to hear of any "meet ups"

Stay warm, just popping to clear the driveway ........
Originally Posted by frankig
Hi glemo and anyone else who may not know. I came across a meetup group known as BBC British Buddies Cleveland. They're meeting at the new Pub at Beachwood on March 6th at 7pm. I met them a couple of weeks ago and they're a great bunch. So nice to see so many Brits around. Hope you can make it.
I know the Independence area as my daughter lives in nearby Seven Hills. I'm in the eastern suburbs and not too far from Beachwood. Where is the new Pub? Is it in Beachwood Place itself? Will definitely try to make it (unless we have another blizzard or polar vortex)! Sick of this weather..............
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Just googled the Pub - see that it is actually inside Beachwood Place. I guess I need to get out more
Will definitely try to make it.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I know the Independence area as my daughter lives in nearby Seven Hills. I'm in the eastern suburbs and not too far from Beachwood. Where is the new Pub? Is it in Beachwood Place itself? Will definitely try to make it (unless we have another blizzard or polar vortex)! Sick of this weather..............
Yes it's in beachwood place on cedar. Also I looked into the BBC, they have a very user friendly and well organized website. Which I joined and RSVPed for the Marc 6th, presently they have 53 members. The BBC was apparently founded circa Jan 2013 and have regular meet ups.
All is posted on their website.
Hopefully see you at the pub.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

frankig is an unknown quantity at this point

The Pub is in Beachwood but you can get in without actually going into the mall. It's by Maggianos and Saks. Very nice place with a wall of beer where you can pull your own pint. See you there.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glemo
The BBC was apparently founded circa Jan 2013 and have regular meet ups.
It's been around for a lot longer than that, at least 10 years. Maybe not quite the same incarnation but back when meetup.com was pretty new there was the same group (I recognize a few people). I was a member but never went to anything because all the meetings were East side. Then meetup went weird and you had to start paying and the group seemed to die. Maybe I'll rejoin and pass it on to some other Brits I know.

Side note, buy Griffin Cider. English style cider made in Ohio by an Englishman!