Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Charlottesville, virginia???

Charlottesville, virginia???

Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Claire31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Charlottesville, virginia???

I am originally from uk, near Buxton, Derbyshire, lived in the USA since last February with my husband and my now 2 and a half year old daughter. Have found it not that easy to meet friends in Virginia as its a bit remote and takes some getting used to. Would love to meet up with sme fellow Brits who live near me, especially mums who maybe in a similar situation
Old May 20th 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Jdaffern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Charlottesville, virginia???

I am moving to Charlottesville with my family in the summer from England. Do you still live there? Is there any other British in that area? Do you like living there?
Old May 20th 2013, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I still live here, love the weather and most people are super friendly, it's great for kids. Downside it's a little old fashioned in some respects and people generally don't get dressed up for dinner etc. what bring you here
Old May 20th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Met a few British but none I've really made friends with
Old May 20th 2013, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

My wife got a job here. Come to Charlottesville on Saturday to sort out accommodation, cars, bank account etc. Looking in the Crozet area to get my daughter into western Albermarle school. Any other suggestions of good schools. I'm here for a week and my wife starts work June 3rd. If you have any pointers about living there let us know.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Crozet is a really nice area we live in albermarle county in Charlottesville, crozet is about 25 mins from central Charlottesville. Where will your wife be working. My daughter is only 3 so is not in school yet but most of the schools are really good and have great reputation. Where abouts in the uk are you from
Old May 20th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

You will find very few houses where you can walk to shops, restaurants you pretty much have to drive everywhere. I'd be happy to give you any information you want just ask we've been here 2 and half years now
Old May 20th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

We live in Chichester, west Sussex, I am originally from Coventry, my wife is from Pittsburgh but has lived in uk 24 years now. My wife is going to be executive director of head start program. I am a PE teacher in Uk, but unlikely I will be able to do that over there.
What do you do over there and where are you from?
Old May 21st 2013, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

We are from derby lived here for about 2 and half years, I don't work but my husband works for a medical equipment company and his job is what brought us here, it's hot and sunny at the moment with occasional thunder storms but you get used to them
Old May 21st 2013, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

My family was from derby, as a child I spent my weekends there. I even support derby county because all my family do. My dog is named Darby because she is black and white. My gran was from coton in the elms, south derbyshire and my nanna Allenton in derby.
It's cloudy and cold here, I'm looking forward to some warmer weather.
When you moved how did you find getting rental accommodation, buying a car, getting a bank account?. All things we have to do next week
Old May 21st 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bank account was pretty straight forward. Rental is easy if you can find the right one that suits you, you usually need a letter from an employer confirming your salary to give to rental companies for approval. Getting car finance was not as easy because we had no credit so were limited to who we got a car from. Where abouts is your wife going to be working and how far do you want to be away from there because crozet is beautiful but a good half an hour from charlottesville
Old May 21st 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

We have a dog also he's an english bulldog called London!
Old May 21st 2013, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

She is working all over albermarle, fluvanna, greene etc counties going to different headstart program's. only reason chose crozet is because west albermarle seems to be best high school looking at statistics. Where do you live?
Old May 21st 2013, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

We live in Charlottesville about 6 miles from downtown just off the main road route 29. Yeh crozet is really nice and there's some really nice houses. Be wary of some rental companies though because they are sometimes not very efficient. Some websites for you to check out for rental houses are mycaar.com and have a look on Charlottesville craiglist as well. I would say for purchasi a car you need to stick to a main dealer like ford, BMW, mercedes not american ones because they won't give you credit when you first move here. All the garages are based in the more or less the same area which is Richmond road, charlottesville
Old May 21st 2013, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

We are looking for a cheaper car to start with. Smaller one for my wife as she starts work on June 3rd. Looking for brands we are familiar with. Not sure how expensive insurance is and who to go with, any suggestions.
My children would like to know what there is for them, they are 11 yr old boy who is sporty, 14 year old girl who likes spending my money on clothes, she likes outdoor activities like kayaking, skiing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.