Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits in Studio City, CA?

Brits in Studio City, CA?

Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

JulieGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits in Studio City, CA?

Just moved here. In between jobs and although I have a car I am unable to drive it due to absurd CA law and my failure to pass my test today! I know I know it's supposed to be easy but apparently my deceleration is not quite good enough for Hollywood! So I am on foot until my husband can be available to let me practice and resit! Anyone up for a coffee, or a pint?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Studio City, CA?

Julie

I drove here on my UK licence for years before I got a USA one.

I'm up in Lancaster, north of Los Angeles. Have you heard of it?
It's called the High Desert.

Cheers
Alan
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:04 am
Just Joined

JulieGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Alan,

Had not heard of Lancaster, CA but found it on google!

I was told as a permanent resident I needed to get a CA license. I have managed to get a temp. full license out of them for a couple of months so I can drive - yeah!!

How are you enjoying California living?

Julie
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Mark_25_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Me and the wife are in West Hollywood - I moved here at the beginning of Jan this year - happy to reach out to you / meet up and share experiences. the wife has been here 5 years so not everthing was new to me.

passed driving test at 2nd attempt in Van Nuys!

Last edited by Mark_25_UK; Feb 24th 2012 at 5:54 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Mark_25_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

your right in what you say.

As a PR you need a CA drivers licence within 10 days of you first being here or you cannot drive. (apparently)

seems a very strange law, as you could be here on a visa waiver for 90 days and drive on UK license!

having experienced the DMV - 10 days is not a lot of time, although you can take the theory test and register for you drivers permit on the day, scheduling and passing a practical within 10 days is harsh!

not sure what would happen if you were to drive and get stopped, you would probably show them your UK license and say your on holiday for 6 weeks, if he asked to see your passport and saw a PR visa you could be screwed!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Why limit the Brit to Studio City? Go west on Ventura and you are in Sherman Oaks. Go north on Laurel Canyon and you are in North Hollywood.

BTW -- under my current and prior screen name, I've been on this board for 10 years now. The consensus has been that the California driving exam was a piece of cake compared to that in the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I'm up in Lancaster, north of Los Angeles. Have you heard of it?
It's called the High Desert.

Cheers
Alan
When I was in practice, several of my immigration clients were processed through the facility in Lancaster -- aka "Mira Loma" located at 45100 N. 60th West. None of my clients liked that facility at all.

BTW, let us know when the poppies are in bloom.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just along the road in Woodland Hills.

Robin Hood pub in Sherman Oaks/Studio City is probably your best bet for a pint, although I quite like Laurel Canyon Tavern.

My ex lives near you though so I need to be careful poking my head around your neck of the woods.