Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits in New Jersey???

Brits in New Jersey???

Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice
Default Re: Brits in New Jersey???

Originally Posted by AilsWallace
No need for school, phew! We didn't fancy being as close as Jersey City or Hoboken and out here we get the best of both. City life is 30 mins away on the train and the trees and walks and parks of northern NJ are practically on our doorstep. It's not too shabby...especially as we don't need to sweep up the pretty leaves ourselves
You and Hartleyhare are making me jealous with talks of not having to sweep leaves. Doesn't help that our leaf blower just packed in either
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
You and Hartleyhare are making me jealous with talks of not having to sweep leaves. Doesn't help that our leaf blower just packed in either
It's quite liberating being a renter again although I try not to think about what the tenants are getting up to in our house. Hopefully it will be in one piece when we return.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AilsWallace
No need for school, phew! We didn't fancy being as close as Jersey City or Hoboken and out here we get the best of both. City life is 30 mins away on the train and the trees and walks and parks of northern NJ are practically on our doorstep. It's not too shabby...especially as we don't need to sweep up the pretty leaves ourselves
Yeah, I would have liked to have been closer to the city - we're about on hour away. Back in the UK we could just hop on the tube and be in Baker St in 25 mins. We did look in Montclair, but I think there's some iffy areas close to where the school is.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Bigfootmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! We're on our way in the new year... Just signed a lease on a house in Summit. Spent half-term week on a recce in northern NJ and fell in love with Summit. Great town centre (or should I say downtown?) with nice restaurants and shops, not far from NYC on the Transit and great schools. Would love to meet some new faces when we arrive...
Old Nov 10th 2013, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigfootmum
Hello! We're on our way in the new year... Just signed a lease on a house in Summit. Spent half-term week on a recce in northern NJ and fell in love with Summit. Great town centre (or should I say downtown?) with nice restaurants and shops, not far from NYC on the Transit and great schools. Would love to meet some new faces when we arrive...
Hi there,

We moved over in June of this year and we also looked in Summit. As you say, it has a great downtown (high street!) and transport links into NYC. We're further up, in Bergen County. Enjoying it so far!

Is it just you or are you moving with children/pets? If you need any info just ask - these forums were an invaluable help to us for our move and continue to be so.

Good luck with your move!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Hi there,

We moved over in June of this year and we also looked in Summit. As you say, it has a great downtown (high street!) and transport links into NYC. We're further up, in Bergen County. Enjoying it so far!

Is it just you or are you moving with children/pets? If you need any info just ask - these forums were an invaluable help to us for our move and continue to be so.

Good luck with your move!
Aww thanks! So good to hear its going well - a relief to hear from other newbies enjoying it out there. There are four of us on our way: husband (whose job brings us, internal promotion with current company) and two kids, 6-year old daughter who'll be in First Grade and 3-year old son... Oh and a hamster (yes, completely and utterly crazy to bring the blinkin hamster but hey ho!) We're excited and scared in equal measure. Am really hoping that we'll settle in okay and I'll meet a few nice people through the kids and school...

I've been following posts and info on here for a while as the US move has been on the cards for many months but the reality is starting to set in now! Gulp.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bigfootmum
Aww thanks! So good to hear its going well - a relief to hear from other newbies enjoying it out there. There are four of us on our way: husband (whose job brings us, internal promotion with current company) and two kids, 6-year old daughter who'll be in First Grade and 3-year old son... Oh and a hamster (yes, completely and utterly crazy to bring the blinkin hamster but hey ho!) We're excited and scared in equal measure. Am really hoping that we'll settle in okay and I'll meet a few nice people through the kids and school...

I've been following posts and info on here for a while as the US move has been on the cards for many months but the reality is starting to set in now! Gulp.
Congratulations on your upcoming move! We are in Florham Park, about 3 miles from Summit. Summit is a nice town to walk around, the kids used to love the big park by the train station. If you are in need of some British company, I meet with a few of my expat friends for breakfast every now and again. There is another lady on here, (Englishmum?) that runs quite a big expat group in the Maplewood area I think that might help you to settle in. Everyone is fairly friendly in this area and you'll meet lots of people through the kids school. I met some of my closest American friends when my eldest was in Kindergarten, he's now 10! Give any of us a shout if you need anything.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

NewJerseyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck! Enjoy the adventure. Summit is a nice place, one of the more affluent with great restaurants. My children did a lot of classes at the Connection in Summit when they were little. We love the Huntley Tavern in Summit and stop by there when we want a fancy dinner, and always in the run up to Christmas. We are in Maplewood - just a few miles away, and yes there's a lot of British expats here!
You will meet some families through your school and kids activities. Also, ask neighbors about book clubs. Check for a Newcomers group. They might offer playgroups. Also www.momagama.com has a ton of info for moms/mums in the area! http://njexpatguru.blogspot.com has hints for new expats here too. Also Mothers and More is a national organization that has local chapters offering playgroups, coffee mornings, sports, and so much more.
All the best.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks NewJerseyGirl - some great tips there. The Connection looks amazing as our youngest has special needs and they seem to do all sorts of stuff there that might suit him - thanks so much. Have also made a note of the Huntley Tavern - always good to know of good places to eat!!! Cheers.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

AilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Yeah, I would have liked to have been closer to the city - we're about on hour away. Back in the UK we could just hop on the tube and be in Baker St in 25 mins. We did look in Montclair, but I think there's some iffy areas close to where the school is.
Yikes! Must make a mental note not to go near schools ;-)
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

UK-NJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Was wondering if there are any expat mums in central jersey? would love to meet other mums
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

samjwood will become famous soon enoughsamjwood will become famous soon enough

Hi....

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd barge in

I am living in Hanover Township, been here for 2 1/2 years, originally from Liverpool. Came here with husband's job. We have one son, who is 10.

Would love to meet up, chat, gripe etc...
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

FlynSail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jupiteruk
Hi there,
I'm originally from Manchester and live in lower bucks county PA which is around 15 minutes from central Jersey, please feel free to PM would love to meet fellow Brits.

Hi, I am a brit living in Bucks County with my wife and 2 kids..I work in Princeton, NJ (originally from Devon and then London). Would love to meet up with you or any other brits in the area..let me know..PM me!

Last edited by FlynSail; Nov 14th 2013 at 8:50 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samjwood
Hi....

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd barge in

I am living in Hanover Township, been here for 2 1/2 years, originally from Liverpool. Came here with husband's job. We have one son, who is 10.

Would love to meet up, chat, gripe etc...
We are in Florham Park so not far, I have 2 boys aged 9 and 10. I was born in Warrington, but don't hold that against me! Go to Liverpool every summer when we are back, love it there!

Would love to meet up with you are anyone close by.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

samjwood will become famous soon enoughsamjwood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by denzil75
We are in Florham Park so not far, I have 2 boys aged 9 and 10. I was born in Warrington, but don't hold that against me! Go to Liverpool every summer when we are back, love it there!

Would love to meet up with you are anyone close by.
Wow!! You are close.. PM me and we'll arrange something, I go to Trader Joes in Florham Park all the time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.