Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brit expat families living in/around Palm City/West Palm Beach/Hobe Sound, Florida

Brit expat families living in/around Palm City/West Palm Beach/Hobe Sound, Florida

Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:18 am
Just Joined

EssexAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit expat families living in/around Palm City/West Palm Beach/Hobe Sound, Florida

Afternoon all,

I've had a brief look through the aged posts on here and couldn't see many folks living in/around this area in South Florida.

We are a young family hoping to find other similar families who are based in these areas, if there are any!

If anyone knows of any specific expat areas in this area, we welcome the advice.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit expat families living in/around Palm City/West Palm Beach/Hobe Sound, Florid

Originally Posted by EssexAbroad
Afternoon all,

I've had a brief look through the aged posts on here and couldn't see many folks living in/around this area in South Florida.

We are a young family hoping to find other similar families who are based in these areas, if there are any!

If anyone knows of any specific expat areas in this area, we welcome the advice.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
A wee bit west of you, but just wanted to say hello!

Nice username! Particularly like the central capitalisation...wish I'd thought of that! Where you from?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

EssexAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit expat families living in/around Palm City/West Palm Beach/Hobe Sound, Florid

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
A wee bit west of you, but just wanted to say hello!

Nice username! Particularly like the central capitalisation...wish I'd thought of that! Where you from?

Thanks

We are moving over from near Braintree with a work relocation.

Deciding on the 'right' place now to target for renting over there, it will need to be in either of these 3 locations ideally. It's hard identifying the demographics of each place, we are a young family and don't want to be in the middle of OAPs wanting peace & quiet 23 hours of the day, however sweet they may be.

So any advice you can offer is perfect, and welcome.

Have you been living there long?

Leeds United or Bradford City ?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Lol - Boro growing up, then Newcastle, then moved to Bradford, so went to a few of their home games. We were actually on the way to Valley Parade the day of the fire, but stopped in our local for a pint on the way and got too comfortable...could have been a good thing.

Sorry - can't offer any advice on locations - when I said we were a bit west of you, I should have said about 1000+ miles west!!

I worked in London for a period, and commuted in from Essex. Looked at buying a newbuild flat right by the station in Braintree, but got gazumped on it by the builder, so ended up near the Jack and Jenny in Witham - that was when the area between J&J and the A12 was all fields....last time through it was all housing estate Not much call to go to Witham these days, but made a large deviation there a few years back to reacquaint myself with Tommy Tuckers - still the best kebab in the whole world!! That bugger is singlehandedly responsible for my elevated cholesterol, expanded waistline, and probably my first heart attack (when it comes!). But I forgive him! I would highly recommend that as the last meal before moving out here....you will never regret it, and you will definitely miss it!! I haven't lived there for almost 20 years, and I am still drooling in my keyboard with the memory!!!

Anyway, the only other advice would be to maybe post over in the USA forum, rather than meetup, as that tends to be more visited and you may get some answers.

Good luck!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EssexAbroad

Thanks

We are moving over from near Braintree with a work relocation.

Deciding on the 'right' place now to target for renting over there, it will need to be in either of these 3 locations ideally. It's hard identifying the demographics of each place, we are a young family and don't want to be in the middle of OAPs wanting peace & quiet 23 hours of the day, however sweet they may be.

So any advice you can offer is perfect, and welcome.

Have you been living there long?

Leeds United or Bradford City ?

woohoo another ex Braintree person here, but now in Texas! Where in Braintree are you? I still have 2 siblings there.

I left Braintree in 1975 when I married and moved all the way to Halstead We moved to Texas in 1989..

Lol - Boro growing up, then Newcastle, then moved to Bradford, so went to a few of their home games. We were actually on the way to Valley Parade the day of the fire, but stopped in our local for a pint on the way and got too comfortable...could have been a good thing.

Sorry - can't offer any advice on locations - when I said we were a bit west of you, I should have said about 1000+ miles west!!

I worked in London for a period, and commuted in from Essex. Looked at buying a newbuild flat right by the station in Braintree, but got gazumped on it by the builder, so ended up near the Jack and Jenny in Witham - that was when the area between J&J and the A12 was all fields....last time through it was all housing estate Not much call to go to Witham these days, but made a large deviation there a few years back to reacquaint myself with Tommy Tuckers - still the best kebab in the whole world!! That bugger is singlehandedly responsible for my elevated cholesterol, expanded waistline, and probably my first heart attack (when it comes!). But I forgive him! I would highly recommend that as the last meal before moving out here....you will never regret it, and you will definitely miss it!! I haven't lived there for almost 20 years, and I am still drooling in my keyboard with the memory!!!

Anyway, the only other advice would be to maybe post over in the USA forum, rather than meetup, as that tends to be more visited and you may get some answers.

Good luck!
Witham! I remember it back in the 1960's before the London overspill arrived!

I also remember it for the Sunday Market in the 80's. I wonder if that still happens
Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Witham! I remember it back in the 1960's before the London overspill arrived!

I also remember it for the Sunday Market in the 80's. I wonder if that still happens
Oi! I've never been called overspill before! Wanna make sumfink of it then, eh

I remember a market in Witham, but thought it was on Saturdays....but then, the memory isn't what it was......
Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! I've never been called overspill before! Wanna make sumfink of it then, eh

I remember a market in Witham, but thought it was on Saturdays....but then, the memory isn't what it was......
The Sunday market was a little way out of town. Saturday one may have been the town one like Braintree had on Wendsdays and Saturdays.

I really only ever went to Witham when traveling on the train in the days when the Braintree train went no further. It was an "all change" station back in the day