Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Madison, WI Brits?

Any Madison, WI Brits?

Old May 11th 2013, 4:41 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Madison, WI Brits?

Originally Posted by Dotty15
Hi, we are an English family relocating to Brookfield, Wisconsin in July. I would be really interested to speak to anyone who can give me any advice. Having spent a couple of weeks there over Easter, I get the feeling people in Wisconsin don't hear too many English accents! Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful
Ooh, I used to work in Brookfield! We live about 40 mins south of there, between Milwaukee and Chicago. You're right about there not being many English accents, but people are very friendly and curious. I don't get any negative comments, although people make fun of me a lot in friendly, ribbing ways. It's okay though, because I make fun of their Wisconsin drawl right back!

Are you relocating for work or family? What brings you to the glorious land of cheese and beer?
Old May 11th 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Dotty15 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is working in Franklin so we chose Brookfield as we loved the Academy for our daughter and it seems like a nice, safe place. I also family in Geneva IL so wanted easy access there as well. A bit worried about those winters though!
Old May 12th 2013, 4:29 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is working in Franklin so we chose Brookfield as we loved the Academy for our daughter and it seems like a nice, safe place. I also family in Geneva IL so wanted easy access there as well. A bit worried about those winters though!
Yeah, the winters can suck royally, but you get used to them. After a while you just get more annoyed than scared.
Old May 14th 2013, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

EnglishSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gingerert
I'm a Wisconsin Brit. (That feels like some sort of weird confession!)

I'm right on the WI/IL border, off of I-94. Don't get to Madison much, but we're in Milwaukee practically every week.

Is this thread dead? Maybe no-one loves WI Brits anymore...
I visit that area a couple of times a year. I'm from Harrogate. My daughter lives in Antioch, used to live in Pleasant Prairie. Are you near there?
Old May 14th 2013, 3:44 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by EnglishSue
I visit that area a couple of times a year. I'm from Harrogate. My daughter lives in Antioch, used to live in Pleasant Prairie. Are you near there?
Yup! My husband works in Pleasant Prairie!

Well, this world just keeps getting smaller and smaller, doesn't it...?
Old May 14th 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Any Madison, WI Brits?

Is that where the Prairie Outlets are? Loved Restoration Hardware!
Old May 14th 2013, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EnglishSue
Where do you live now?
Old May 14th 2013, 3:57 pm
Ginger Monkey

Is that where the Prairie Outlets are? Loved Restoration Hardware!
Yes ma'am! God, I love that place. My husband works LITERALLY across the road from there, in that huge log cabin office building, and every Monday when the weather doesn't suck we go to the outlet mall for lunch and shopping. The money I've spent there...
Old May 14th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gingerert
Yes ma'am! God, I love that place. My husband works LITERALLY across the road from there, in that huge log cabin office building, and every Monday when the weather doesn't suck we go to the outlet mall for lunch and shopping. The money I've spent there...
I can imagine! Lots of ideas for our new place! We had lunch there a couple of weeks ago on our way to Chicago.
Old May 14th 2013, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Where do you live now?
I'm in Martinez, next to Augusta, GA.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsamullis
We are getting used to Madison but I sort of miss Dallas - we've been here for 2 years now, seems crazy we've been here that long already.

We would love to get together this summer for a American/British get together!! Once you are settled with your new little one maybe we could plan something
For some reason, I stopped getting emails saying someone had replied to this thread, so I gave up! I thought everyone else had stopped replying! Goes to show you -- never rely on email! I should have just checked this site!

I would still love to get together if anyone/everyone is interested! It's only mid-July. There's time for summer get-together yet, yes?

I'm actually on here to let people know that I've just started a Meetup group aimed at organizing the British community in Madison. I started it just yesterday and it hasn't actually been approved by the Meetup folks yet, so it's not even advertised yet. But I thought I'd provide the link here if any of you are interested!

Even if you don't want to join the Meetup group, I'd love to get together with anyone here who is interested in that! Just give me a holler. I promise to check back here, this time for messages.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Argh. Is two months post-birth too late to blame "pregnancy brain"? Here is the link to the Meetup group I meant to put in the last message: http://www.meetup.com/Brits-And-Those-Who-Love-Them/
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Where do you live now?
Sorry for delay in replying. I too, forget to check the site and don't receive any emails that people have posted something. I live in Martinez, GA, right next to Augusta, GA. I work in Aiken, SC about 20 miles from Martinez. Actually my daughter just moved to Antioch from Pleasant Prairie. We've not visited yet, but it sounds nice. She lives right on the lake.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KMO1986
Hello, anyone still around?

I'm British too, from Leicester, living in Middleton. My wife is originally from Madison and we've been here since June 2012.
Welcome to Wisconsin! Did you move to Middleton straight from England? One year into your Madison life, what do you think of the area? You survived winter, and a long one at that. Congrats!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Just an FYI: I started a Meetup.com group for Madison-area Brits and friends of Brits. It's called "Brits and Those Who Love Them." I'll post the link here. As of this posting, we're planning our first meet-up. Twenty-one members so far, so I'm hopeful that the group takes off! Join in if you're interested! http://www.meetup.com/Brits-And-Those-Who-Love-Them/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.