Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Virginia???

Any Brits in Virginia???

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:08 pm
David

Huddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Virginia???

forgot to say im in colonial Heights ....very quiet ....no pubs ..i had to goto the one in richmond ...which was great because england played the usa ....good day ....
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Huddie
Hi all ..Moved to Virginia about 5 months ago from Just outside London ....got married here about 3months ago .... so sitting and waiting for the interview in norfolk so i can get my work permit ..and drivers licence ..
Hi Huddie, welcome to VA. were abouts are you? I am in Chesterfield
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

forgot to say im in colonial Heights ....very quiet ....no pubs ..i had to goto the one in richmond ...which was great because england played the usa ....good day ....
Got to have been Penny Lane?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:23 pm
David

Yeah it was penny lane ive been there a couple times since.....great pub .. just a little far out for me tho ..but they have an English pub about 10 minutes away from me in petersburg butnever really went much on it ...other than that ive just sat in the air condtion house...
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah it was penny lane ive been there a couple times since.....great pub .. just a little far out for me tho ..but they have an English pub about 10 minutes away from me in petersburg butnever really went much on it ...other than that ive just sat in the air condtion house...
well it's sure been a very hot first summer for you here. I'll start to cool soon honest. lol i never feel that any pub over here is like ours at at home.Don't know Petersburg very well i tend to stay southside Richmond.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Kathryn R is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to VA too I guess! I moved here in June this year after finally receiving my CR1! I live in the South Hampton Roads, so it would be great to meet people who are in a similar position to me! I've been finding it pretty tough to make friends, even with having recently started a job. So if there's anyone out there in the Norfolk/VA Beach/Chesapeake area perhaps we can get something going!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:18 pm
David

HI Kathryn

Well i got here in may ....and have struggled too.... i came once before but left because i just could not get used to it here..... My wife is American but i am still waiting for my work permit

but how to survive here in my opinion...
get your penny talk card ..so you can call the uk very cheap
shop at Krougers if you have one there they sell some english food ..like salad cream and few others items....
Try and find a place you like to eat or have a drink and go there to let the stress off .....and dont end up staying...
there is away you can watch bbc programs on the internet here ...
there is a british pub in richmond were i have been a few times great place to go ....and british people do go there who live here ....its called penny lane ....
If you start to get depressed don't ignore it .....like i did ..found myself going stir crazy the first time here...
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

HI Kathryn

Well i got here in may ....and have struggled too.... i came once before but left because i just could not get used to it here..... My wife is American but i am still waiting for my work permit

but how to survive here in my opinion...
get your penny talk card ..so you can call the uk very cheap
shop at Krougers if you have one there they sell some english food ..like salad cream and few others items....
Try and find a place you like to eat or have a drink and go there to let the stress off .....and dont end up staying...
there is away you can watch bbc programs on the internet here ...
there is a british pub in richmond were i have been a few times great place to go ....and british people do go there who live here ....its called penny lane ....
If you start to get depressed don't ignore it .....like i did ..found myself going stir crazy the first time here...
Hi Hoodie and Kathryn,
I live southside of Richmond and have been here since 91. Still miss home like crazy good advice there Hoodie ,but i suggest you both get on with the phone service Vonage, works through your internet and all calls to England are free. can't beat that.Cell phones cost more to call to.Pernny Lane is a good place to hang out and meet more Brits.
good luck to you both
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the USA since July and just arrived back "home" to Virginia earlier this week. Things are a bit chaotic with all our stuff arriving and the process of converting a bachelor pad in to a married couples home lol. But I'm up for a meeting - not working at the moment but aiming to volunteer somewhere in the near future.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Cal 74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the Richmond area too. There are quite a few Brits in the area and most seem to know Penny Lane, but there is also Rosie's down by the farmer's market which feels more authentic:

http://www.rosieconnollys.com/
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Mighty Moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've joined up as it's always nice to know there's people out there who can relate to the various fun & games as we settle in.

My name's James, I moved over in August 09, since then I've got married to Jessica (reason for me coming over anyway) and we had our son Ryan in May 2010. I'm currently a house husband as I've picked precisely the wrong time to come here searching for a job it appears.

Originally from Fleet in Hampshire, I'm 36 and enjoying VA, specifically Falls Church where we're settled in. Had plenty of fun & games in the snow back at the beginning of the year, and have managed to survive the summer without getting too much sunburn ! Found the driving test a doddle ! Next stop is waiting to become "permanent".... watch this space.

Looking forward to keeping active and seeing if I've missed out on anything,
James
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:19 pm
David

Hey James ....i came over this year ....im from Basingstoke in Hampshire im also not working yet im still waiting for my social security number ....
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Hey James ....i came over this year ....im from Basingstoke in Hampshire im also not working yet im still waiting for my social security number ....
Hi there,

Home of the roundabouts... that place would cause mass confusion amongst the Americans

I can't recall having to wait that long to get my SSC, took me longer to get the bank accounts etc set up along with the gas bill in my name so I could apply for a license. I suppose I was applying for work from November through till April... when I decided that being a stay at home dad was my future short-term. Just always seemed to be about "degree this & degree that" rather than "can you actually do the job?".

I was helped by the fact that my girl was incredibly anal about everything (she had enough time waiting for me) and had been in contact with others who were bringing over fiance/fiancees etc.
James
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mighty Moose
Hi all,

I've joined up as it's always nice to know there's people out there who can relate to the various fun & games as we settle in.

My name's James, I moved over in August 09, since then I've got married to Jessica (reason for me coming over anyway) and we had our son Ryan in May 2010. I'm currently a house husband as I've picked precisely the wrong time to come here searching for a job it appears.

Originally from Fleet in Hampshire, I'm 36 and enjoying VA, specifically Falls Church where we're settled in. Had plenty of fun & games in the snow back at the beginning of the year, and have managed to survive the summer without getting too much sunburn ! Found the driving test a doddle ! Next stop is waiting to become "permanent".... watch this space.

Looking forward to keeping active and seeing if I've missed out on anything,
James
Hi James - I live just up the road from you in Dunn Loring! You are lucky to live in Falls Church - lots of good bars/restaurants and easy access to the city. I came over here in July 2009 - and intended to get a part time job as well - but as you say it's all about what degrees you have and not the experience! Keep plugging away ..... We got our Green cards quite quickly - it took about 2 months in all. The worst bit was all the medicals and jabs you have to get. Hope you settle in - you never know I may bump into you in one of the bars sometime!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Hi James - I live just up the road from you in Dunn Loring! You are lucky to live in Falls Church - lots of good bars/restaurants and easy access to the city. I came over here in July 2009 - and intended to get a part time job as well - but as you say it's all about what degrees you have and not the experience! Keep plugging away ..... We got our Green cards quite quickly - it took about 2 months in all. The worst bit was all the medicals and jabs you have to get. Hope you settle in - you never know I may bump into you in one of the bars sometime!
Hi Katybluewater,

I know a little bit about Vienna.... we bank at the NFCU there. I'm just about familiar with the general layout.... it's been over a year since I got here of course, but driving around when I can has helped a lot.

I think my jabs are all up to date, had about 100 of them prior to getting US Embassy clearance to come over.

Not sure about a bar, far more likely to see me scooting round Tysons Mall with my son keeping the wife from going insane !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.