Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Virginia???

Any Brits in Virginia???

Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:24 am
Just Joined

pompylin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Virginia???

Years, moved when I married. Husband was in the US Airforce. Just my 2 grown kids and I here in VA now. Miss my family and friends back in UK but living here is only option right now. Go back for visits whenever I can.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pompylin
Years, moved when I married. Husband was in the US Airforce. Just my 2 grown kids and I here in VA now. Miss my family and friends back in UK but living here is only option right now. Go back for visits whenever I can.
i came in 91..then husbands job..now he's the EX..so just me and my girls here too. i am hoping to move back some time soon...ish. but it's very scary indeed
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:42 am
Just Joined

pompylin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynfleet
i came in 91..then husbands job..now he's the EX..so just me and my girls here too. i am hoping to move back some time soon...ish. but it's very scary indeed
Yeh, just me and my daughter and son, my ex is in another state. My son still lives with me, my daughter has just got her own place but lives fairly close. Both are in their 20's but it would be very hard to live in UK full time. Hope to spend 6mths out of the year in UK once I retire - which is a way off yet. It's on my 'bucket list'. I'm in NOVA and work in DC. My son would love to live in Uk, he thinks brits are far more easier to get along with but he knows the job situation there is even worse than here.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Yeh, just me and my daughter and son, my ex is in another state. My son still lives with me, my daughter has just got her own place but lives fairly close. Both are in their 20's but it would be very hard to live in UK full time. Hope to spend 6mths out of the year in UK once I retire - which is a way off yet. It's on my 'bucket list'. I'm in NOVA and work in DC. My son would love to live in Uk, he thinks brits are far more easier to get along with but he knows the job situation there is even worse than here.
both mine live with me and are in their early 20's too. the youngest is thinking of going to grad school in the UK the older one, who knows. i hate to think of leaving them but it's time for me. are you naturalized here?.
if you want to you can privat me your facebook name or e-mail would live to chat more.'have to turn in now...night
ps were in NOVA i have lived in chesterfield county since 93 and i have never heard of it before.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

chrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by martian1
If i make it over to Virginia the 1st thing to sort is a pc to keep in contact and hopefully meet up for a beer or 2...lot of people on here in the same boat the biggest issue for us is our son giving up his mates over here..tough and it hurts.
Commute will be from the richmond area to prince george county
We moved here in December & my daughter left a wide circle of friends she's kept up with on facebook etc but has made loads of new friends at her High School (she's 15) - kids do seem much more polite here, well around where I live in Buckingham (The heart of VA)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

chrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of lightchrissy52 is a glorious beacon of light

No, Pompy (Portsmouth/Southsea). Most of my family are there, a few Northerners near Warrington in Cheshire too.
I lived in Southsea for a year - it was a really nice place then but that was 1974/5
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

yea come to chesterfield we could use more Brits and i could introduce you to a lot as well.
Didn't know where Chesterfield was until read this thread, we drive to Richmond about once every 2 weeks but usually go to Northwest, have never been to south side. Are there any expat meetings in Richmond?

Chrissy
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

My impressions, having just come from UK, is that job market is easier in UK, my 21 year old is going back to get a job there instead of trying here, but I suppose it depends a lot on the type of job.

I think 6 months every year in UK is a great idea, I'm sure you know you'd be eligible for all benefits then & assume you'd pick the summer months or what passes for them in UK lol
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what we are doing exactly as my son just enrolled at his college. Due to all the delays it's going to be harder for him to go once he's settled and a lot of his friends are going as well
Did get a call from states to say i should get assignement offer any day. It's going to be tough going it alone but i cannot see any other way of me going. I would only get the same hols i have so thats a couple of full weeks three at the most and xmas together. We are getting a pre-asssignement visit which might change things i don't know.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chrissy52
Didn't know where Chesterfield was until read this thread, we drive to Richmond about once every 2 weeks but usually go to Northwest, have never been to south side. Are there any expat meetings in Richmond?

Chrissy
Hi Crissy,
We round here have our own Brit nights we meet once a month. a lot of fun.
Chesterfield has quite a few Brits
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

HilaryEck is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyone in Hampton Roads? I live 40 mins from the beach. It's nice here, but the locals are not too keen on foreigners/military spouses like me, it seems. I need to get together with people who take longer than 10 minutes to eat their meal, who like talking about work (professional stuff) and who like drinking nice coffees in real cups and who eat cake on plates, not out of bags. Am I being weird? I've lived abroad since 1989 and am cool and fun. I do not wear pink blouses with high collars and ribbons. Zumba and Nordstrom are my thing.......
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hilary, I'm in LA at the moment but heading back to Hampton Roads in a couple of weeks. Should be home by 1 October!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

HilaryEck is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. Let me know when you're back - I'd like to know what you think about living here. We used to live in NM and were there last week - people are so much more friendly there. I noticed it as soon as I got off the plane. How do you find the people in LA?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Crissy,
We round here have our own Brit nights we meet once a month. a lot of fun.
Chesterfield has quite a few Brits
Hi Lyn
I'd love to come sometime could you please email me the details, are teens able to attend?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:04 pm
David

Huddie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all ..Moved to Virginia about 5 months ago from Just outside London ....got married here about 3months ago .... so sitting and waiting for the interview in norfolk so i can get my work permit ..and drivers licence ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.