Reload this Page >

Any Brits on Long Island, NY?

Any Brits on Long Island, NY?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

ronkagirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits on Long Island, NY?

Hi there,
I moved from London to Suffolk County, Long Island, NY in August 2008 with my husband and two children (a son, 15 and daughter, 12).

I am unable to work here on my husband's current work visa but I was a teacher back home. During the week I have a lot of free time which I spend by volunteering regularly. This helps me feel like I am contributing to society and, more importantly, enables me to avoid doing dull housework!

Although I am making some lovely new American friends State-side I often feel homesick and long for contact with fellow British ex-pats here on Long Island.

Drop me a line if you are interested in friendship!
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

pranger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits on Long Island, NY?

Hi!

I know you posted your message a while ago but only just found it! My husband and 20 month old moved to New York about two months ago and have been living in Midtown since we arrived. Funnily enough, I was also a teacher back in the UK.
The reason I'm posting is that we are moving to Garden City at the end of the week, which I know is in Long Island but still may be miles away from you!
Have you met any expats nearby? I've met a lovely bunch here but I've heard that Brits are few and far between on Long Island...

Louise
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

PhilN is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread..... But I moved from the uk this year to marry my us citizen wife, we got married at the beach club in lake ronkonkoma, living in Huntington!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

usanewlife is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhilN
I know this is an old thread..... But I moved from the uk this year to marry my us citizen wife, we got married at the beach club in lake ronkonkoma, living in Huntington!
Hello fellow Brits. We are in Syosset. I came across the pond in September and staying with my British/American daughter and her family. Have you also joined the NYC Brit Expat group. Gloria
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Chasley B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I moved here from London in January for my American wife and I'm loving NY. I havent met any people outside my wife's family and friends and I'm looking to make some friend of my own. We live in Elmont in Nassau County and I work in Manhattan. How have you guys found adjusting to American way of life?
Chas
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rose of the Shires will become famous soon enough

Hello!
It's been a while since this thread was started, but I just noticed it. I'm in Northport, on the north shore of Suffolk County. We have been here for 10 years, after my husband was offered a transfer to the States. He's a Lancashire lad and I'm from Northamptonshire-I still miss both, although it's nice to live close to the sea!
It would be great to hear from other folks on LI...there are quite a few Brits in and around Northport/Huntington Maybe a meet-up in the New Year?
Rose
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Very familiar with Northport / Huntington, although I live in Nassau County.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

charisma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I moved from the UK to Long Island in December 2008 (Garden City). My husband is American and we have a 19 month old. Always interested in meeting anybody who lives locally.

Thanks,
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

There are 8 of us now on this thread and it would be great for all of us to meet up. I think we are all within a commutable distance of each other. I am happy to arrange a meet-up somewhere in the middle of our respective locations. If you are interested, please give me some dates that would be good for you and I will do the rest. Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:46 am
Just Joined

charisma is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I would be interested. We live in Garden City, not far from Syosset.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charisma
Yes, I would be interested. We live in Garden City, not far from Syosset.
Hi, hopefully we can get a group meet-up. If not, we can get together for a coffee morning. My daughter has 3 children, a boy aged 6 yrs 8 months, a girl who will be 5 in 2 weeks and a 15th month old boy. Let me know if you would like to come along for coffee.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:33 am
Just Joined

HertfordshiretoLongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I am 29 and I have been living in Long Island for a few years now. I moved here to be with my American husband and I love it here! We currently live in Great Neck, but will be moving to Huntington next month. I would certainly be interested in a meet up, how about Canterbury Ales in Huntington??!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HertfordshiretoLongIsland
Hi all, I am 29 and I have been living in Long Island for a few years now. I moved here to be with my American husband and I love it here! We currently live in Great Neck, but will be moving to Huntington next month. I would certainly be interested in a meet up, how about Canterbury Ales in Huntington??!

Hello, that would be great. My daughter and I are also from Hertfordshire. Hemel Hempstead, Watford and Welwyn Garden City. Where in Hertfordshire did you live?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

longislandtaffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!! I only just found this site despite being in the USA for almost 3 years! I was born in North Wales, but moved to Manchester, England when I was only 18 months old and grew up there in Rochdale.

fast forward to the present, I've been married to my wife Marian (who was born in Manhattan) for 7 years. We have 2 beautiful children Olivia Katherine (almost 4) and Aiden Clark (6 weeks)

We recently moved to Port Jefferson and though about seeing if there was a way to find fellow Brits on Long Island and stumbled upon this site. The funny thing is my American wife, would move back to North Wales in a heartbeat, so it's kind of her idea to find British people to talk to on here, but I agree it's fun to meet fellow Brits who are in the same kind of situation to us. Feel free to write us back or add me on Facebook (facebook.com/nick.duckworth) I'd love to hear from anyone who lives close by!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

rodvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have lived in Suffolk, NY for over 6 years ( smithtown area ) - did you ever meet for a beer ? Would be great to arrange a meet-up ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.