Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

fedupwithmoving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Originally Posted by alex_and_Lilly
I didn't realize there were so many places that sold UK items. In Saratoga we will only Celtic Treasures and the Putnam Market - all of which are pretty expensive. We will have to check out the Troy area!
Thanks!!!!
Hi, i am in albany and have posted where you can get a bunch of stuff. Hope it helps. Clare
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

fedupwithmoving is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Climbingfishgirl
Couldn't agree more. Been trying to think of where & when, any ideas? The pub got really loud and was not that good for chatting with everyone.
Hey you , i finally joined!!
We should have asked them to turn the volume down!!
See you soon
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sergeyvo
Yeah, they are not in the dodgy Albany city centre + no parking problems - an extra "bonus" for us.

I've got some positive feedback from Indian colleagues on these:

www.phoeniciansofalbany.com/
http://www.karavallilatham.com/

Sitar is not good.

Any other ideas?
Visited the Lebanese one last weekend and didn't like it: no room and the meal was not great.

www.karavallilatham.com then - I will try them in a couple of weeks. According to the menu and photos it should be ok.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:24 am
Just Joined

lostinjersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Guy's I'M from Ireland and live up in West Fulton about 10 miles from Cobleskill.
Great historic Inn in Schoharie Village with 21 ales and lagers on tap owned by a Corkman great spot, also for rashers and bangers as well as puddings head to the Irish store in East durham about 40 mins south of Albany great supply of the jams bicky's and all foods plus any of the pubs there have great guinness on tap . There are quite a few british and Scottish ex pats living in the area of greene and schoharie counties.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Climbingfishgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally, a date for our next gathering:
Thursday 28th Feb (7pm ish?) @ http://www.karavallilatham.com/
It is very popular hence we will book a large table. Let us know here if you can make it. Hope to see you there.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Stcloud25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my wife is British and we live in the area. May we invite ourselves to this get together?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

I am a native new Yorker and my wife is a Brit. I would live to bring her and our son to this get together. She misses the UK and I know it would make her day to socialize with other Brits. Please let me know I'd we can attend.

Trevor
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

More the merrier Trevor, look forward to meeting you and your family on the 28th.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:30 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Fingers crossed we'll be there too.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

I just wanted to add a place Im not sure if it was mentioned before we drive to Brits R Us in Pittsfield MA has lots of goodies from home and is reasonably priced. http://www.britsrus.com/storepage689994.aspx I don't think I can make Friday but I would like to meet up any other time with other Brits in the area or at the next group meeting.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Is all still on for tomorrow? just checking in. The wife and I are excited? How many people are coming?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Yes, definately on for tomorrow at Karavalli, Latham. We have 10 definates and five or so 'possibly, maybe, subject to ....' who may be able to make it.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

susiethebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Great evening at Karavali's! Thought I'd better join you on this forum to see who else is in the area. I have a few other British friends who'd probably like to come to the next meet-up.

I'm originally from Bucks and now live in East Greenbush, NY, (having moved from NYC to Columbia County and then here). Love the fact I've really met several of you locally via the YMCA, children's gymnastics, even the local coffee shop. And one because she was wearing Union Jack socks. After 16 years in NY it hadn't really occurred to me to look up a British ex-pat site...

I think most places have been mentioned now for finding British foods locally. Certainly the newish British food shop in Pittsfield, MA, Stop and Shop in Pittsfield (great selection), the International Price Chopper on Central Ave in Albany, NY, The Grainery in Chatham, NY, the Celtic Store in Saratoga Springs (over-priced), and...drumroll...amazon.com, e,g, $6 Ready Brek and $22 for a case of Heinz baked beans. Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Big Lots very often have a random selection of British foods from lemon curd to cheese crackers. They also sell Christmas crackers...now if we can just find somewhere selling real Easter eggs. I order mine online. britishgoods.com
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Darn it I missed this posting before. Hopefully I'll be able to make it one day...
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by susiethebrit
Great evening at Karavali's! Thought I'd better join you on this forum to see who else is in the area. I have a few other British friends who'd probably like to come to the next meet-up.

I'm originally from Bucks and now live in East Greenbush, NY, (having moved from NYC to Columbia County and then here). Love the fact I've really met several of you locally via the YMCA, children's gymnastics, even the local coffee shop. And one because she was wearing Union Jack socks. After 16 years in NY it hadn't really occurred to me to look up a British ex-pat site...

I think most places have been mentioned now for finding British foods locally. Certainly the newish British food shop in Pittsfield, MA, Stop and Shop in Pittsfield (great selection), the International Price Chopper on Central Ave in Albany, NY, The Grainery in Chatham, NY, the Celtic Store in Saratoga Springs (over-priced), and...drumroll...amazon.com, e,g, $6 Ready Brek and $22 for a case of Heinz baked beans. Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Big Lots very often have a random selection of British foods from lemon curd to cheese crackers. They also sell Christmas crackers...now if we can just find somewhere selling real Easter eggs. I order mine online. britishgoods.com

I have found Easter Eggs last year at Lennons Irish shop in Schenectady and Brits R Us in Pittsfield tells me he will be getting them in