Yanks Welcome?

Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yanks Welcome?

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I just didnt have you down as a Scot- thought you were a posh southerner- Its not a bad thing!

Just to do a bit of fatty defending, some people say they are happy being fat and beautiful, happy in their own skin etc most however are not, having done various weightloss programmes (and having had my weight yoyo throughout adulthood)I just feel I need to do a bit of fat defense.

When you start to gain weight you stop looking in the mirror- and I mean really looking in the mirror, its easy to look at yourself at the best angles and you do eventually get to the point that you just don't look at all as you don't actually want to see just how bad you look. It's kind of denial because to look at yourself is depressing and you avoid it, but you're still fed up and eating is your comfort- vicious circle. Generalisation

If you're an alcoholic you would get professional help to quit, you're never an alcoholic because you like the taste of booze too much, you're an alcoholic because you drink to escape your problems, Not always true its the same with eating. Saying you have a problem is as hard as an alcoholic admitting it, its bloody hard and is a lifelong battle for most people. How many alcoholics stop drinking altogether to stay off the booze? A lot How many alcoholics can have just one drink- very few, but when your problem is food you have to eat so you are constantly battling with your problem.
Dismissing fat people by saying they just have to eat better and exercise is simplfing the issue, most (some) people overeat for comfort because of whatever issues they have, Most Some obese people are not fat because they just eat too much they are fat because they find comfort in food and have never addressed the underlying issues, as a thin and healthy person Not all thin people are healthy and not all thin people are happy or don't have issues! stupid statement darling
you probably find it hard to understand how anyone can let themselves get fat or obese but you'd be amazed at how easy it is. You get to the point where you don't really like your reflection so you stop looking, and before you know it the weight has piled on even further and you feel like its never going to end.
The feelings of self loathing, worthlessness etc stop you from helping yourself if you don't like yourself let alone love yourself then you don't help yourself either. This can apply to a lot of people darling, Fat people do not have the monopoly on self loathing or worthlessness. All of the things you have mentioned so far are extreme. I work with fat people and mostly they just need some guidance and help to understand the principles of healthy eating.

It's all very depressing, and I could go on and on about how complex it all is but basically its a little bit more complicated than just go to the gym and eating less. If it was that easy don't you think there would be no fat people!

I admit I'm fat to myself and anyone else, which is like an alcoholic admitting it, I'm working on it but having struggled for a very long time and inevitably will struggle with it for the rest of my life, so I say give the fattys a break!

Kitty
Please don't think that I am making light of what you are saying Kitty, I do understand but as I said a lot of it is extreme cases.
Starting a healthy eating plan and sticking to it is as hard as stopping smoking or any other addiction for some people, but not all.

I have worked very successfully with people who have lots of different eating problems from morbid obesity/anorexia/bulimia and reward and punishment issues with food going back to childhood and helping these people overcome their problems and more importantly stopping them from passing on these issues to their children is not only very rewarding but life changing for them.

But having said that I have also met a lot of fat people who just can't be bothered doing anything about it and just eat because they are greedy and lazy and they expect an easy option.
I know some people who decided to have lipo instead of working to lose the inches or who considered a gastric band instead of making an effort to control their eating. Before you shout back darling, I also know people who needed the help and by having a gastric band fitted were able to get to a point where they could then continue on their own.

No two people are the same. But don't put all fat people into the "we can't help it and you don't know what it is like..woe is me etc etc " bracket.

Off for that much needed drink now

Last edited by Patsy Stoned; Aug 7th 2010 at 11:27 am.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Patsy I completely agree with you, obviously I am generalizing in the same way Commander said all fat people need to do is eat less and exercise, again maybe for some but not all. And of course other people have problems and we all cope differently with them, some people turn to food, anyway I can't be bothered to go round and round, you all know what I'm trying to say anyway whether you agree or not!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

ccmail321 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK OK - the only thing I want to say is that I do not eat McDonalds! ;-) I was poking fun at the fact that they deliver it in Doha, other than that I don't have time to look through all of the posts on here to "keep the banter going". I read the first few and assume they're all the same. Also, I don't frequent Aldershot, I only mentioned it as a jab since it is known as a military town...and yes I was on other threads hmmm, god forbid I actually came to this site looking to exchange real info. SO, I'm back on today for info and I don't think I'll get it on this thread. I am a bit concerned about the freakish amount of hostility on the computer...I don't really know people that would get so "aggro" at the keyboard, I feel genuinely sorry for those and I hope that I don't find myself so bored abroad that I'm driven to it...I'm trying to peaceful here and not upset anyone because I really, really do want information about our upcoming move.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

what info are you after ccmail? we're all just grumpy as its soo bloody hot!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I'll tell you why Americans as a nation are not well received- in my view anyway. (all very tongue in cheek so don't take too seriously).

As a british person when I have travelled to the States I hate it when I get told I have a quaint accent, and do I know that persons Auntie who lives in London (along with 7 million other people), the answer would be NO and no I don't know Prince William and I don't live in a thatched cottage.

You didn't win the war- we did ( or so my dad still says and gets very frustrated/angry at blockbuster movies that have a creative take on history). I won't tell you how he refers to americans!

The fact they always seem so happy and cheery and high on life- in case you hadn't noticed the English like to see irony in life which means often looking at the darker side of life. Bubbly is fine in small doses, ongoing it requires dousing. Also the whole 'I need closure'-I mean really? Brush yourself down and just get on with it!

The sue culture and PC culture- I hate what the Uk has become with the whole over the top PC ness and the fear of getting sued at the drop of a hat. My godmother is a dinnerlady at a primary school and has been for over 30 years, if a kid falls over and crys shes no longer allowed to pick up the kid and give it a cuddle...as it is physical contact. A pack of nuts having 'this product may contain nuts' printed on the outside just incase someone is dumb enough not to realise! I could go on but you know what I mean. For this we blame america!

Your silly pronounciation of things HERBS- it has an H at the beginning its not spelt erb..

Americans rule the world attitude, I was once asked by an America if the Uk was joined to Norway? WTF -it is an island! This conversation went on for quite a while as I was astonished at his lack of knowledge on geography outside of the states.

Any country that would vote George Bush as president you have to question the peoples credibility.

Amercians are portrayed in pretty much four or five stereoptypes ways-
*Overpriviliged college kids who are all airheads and shallow and too submerged in their own vanity to care about whats going on in the rest of the world,
*hillybillies that own guns and when in isolated areas become serial killers and inbreed (The Hills Have Eyes type films- don't actually believe it to that extent though),
*LA darlings- plastic fantastic culture- silicon, false everythings, bleach, can't laugh as I might get a wrinkle type attitude,
* Racist Texans that also own guns and enjoy shooting things, wear cowboy boots and hats and breed cattle- have never been outside of Texas and have no intention of ever doing so.
*New Yorkers- they are Ok

The lack of History yet the attitude you do. Now teh English have proper history!

The mall culture- its killed our British High Street.

Friendlier = annoying- especially in London- I don't really want to talk to a stranger on the tube yet americans talk to strangers all the time- its just not the done thing.

I guess its all in all that kind of new money attitude, we're here we're gonna sing and dance about what we have whereas the UK is more like old money- we are subtle and understated and more classy and turn our noses up at new money.

Ok don't take it all too seriously- I'm only teasing- I like some americans.

No worries ;-) I agree with a lot of your points - hey I moved here didn't I??

I do always wonder why the Brits LOVE going to America when they say they can't stand us :-) Like, why fly 8 hours to Orlando to go to WDW when you can be in Paris in a few hrs.

Only 2 generalisations I'll make just to be funny -

1 - the Brits have definitely taken over the title for the MOST Fake Tan
and
2- why do Brits get sooooo sunburned?? I mean, not the scientific reason but why let it happen, it is almost a status symbol as to say "look at me, I can afford a foreign holiday"

Ok, other than that, I love England ;-) I love my British husband and his lovely accent! I love it especially when he says the word "purple" ! I don't know, it just sounds so cute! I love the rainy, miserable weather we are having right now! I love using public transport here - in the USA I had a new car every 2.5 years - I love the windy roads where I actually have to go less than the speed limit to be safe and all the green trees and the flowers we have right now.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ccmail321
OK OK - the only thing I want to say is that I do not eat McDonalds! ;-) I was poking fun at the fact that they deliver it in Doha, other than that I don't have time to look through all of the posts on here to "keep the banter going". I read the first few and assume they're all the same. Also, I don't frequent Aldershot, I only mentioned it as a jab since it is known as a military town...and yes I was on other threads hmmm, god forbid I actually came to this site looking to exchange real info. SO, I'm back on today for info and I don't think I'll get it on this thread. I am a bit concerned about the freakish amount of hostility on the computer...I don't really know people that would get so "aggro" at the keyboard, I feel genuinely sorry for those and I hope that I don't find myself so bored abroad that I'm driven to it...I'm trying to peaceful here and not upset anyone because I really, really do want information about our upcoming move.
What information do you want or need? FYI I had nil support from anyone when I moved out to AD (employers were crap). if it wasn't for this board I would likely have gone home a long time ago. There are some very supportive members that are a mine of information. But we do get bored - especially at this time of the year.

Once you have lived out here a while you will understand why people sometimes react a little differently to back home. Just go with the flow and ask whatever Q's you want. It is a big upheaval moving countires, especially to the Middle East. But it is good once you settle. Even for Americans - of which there are a number in AD and across the region, often with 10 gallon hats.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

its the same as Paris, fantastic city shame about the Parisians!

I love New York, but they arent REAL americans!

Ok the fake tan is true- ish, the sane as all americans are trailer trash.... however I avoid fake tan like the plague, I like natural colour not orange! Personally I thought David Dickinson went a step too far!

why do we burn so much-I am very very guilty of this- because we never see any sun so we go mad when we do! simple really! nothing to do with status all to do with being pasty and white
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weescot
What information do you want or need? FYI I had nil support from anyone when I moved out to AD (employers were crap). if it wasn't for this board I would likely have gone home a long time ago. There are some very supportive members that are a mine of information. But we do get bored - especially at this time of the year.

Once you have lived out here a while you will understand why people sometimes react a little differently to back home. Just go with the flow and ask whatever Q's you want. It is a big upheaval moving countires, especially to the Middle East. But it is good once you settle. Even for Americans - of which there are a number in AD and across the region, often with 10 gallon hats.
Headed for Doha...

as for info - i just started another thread because I have a dog so any info about that???

Also, I guess I am most worried about what to bring as far as insignificant things. Because we won't be jet setting back and forth like we can UK-US...we only moved to the UK last year from the US and we have spent so much money on "little things" that I hate to pay to ship them and I hate to pay to buy them new so I am not sure what to bring, what to ship and what to give away!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a Doha poster can advise on what is best to buy out here. If it is like the UAE, you can get furniture and white goods fairly inexpensively. In UAE most global brands are available, and I am sure you can get American stuff in Doha too. Not sure if IKEA is in Doha, but there will be similar if not. Unless on a full reloation package, most expats buy what they need out here then sell it when they leave.

Personally, I would take what you can least live without. All your fav stuff and essential things for everyday living. I wish I had shipped out my pictures and art. I did take out some nice carpets/rugs - only to find you can get them here quite cheaply.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'll be gentle to start with.

You're not even here yet. You have so far averaged 11.38 posts per day. You seem to have opened your own gob for no apparent reason--at least nothing intelligible has dribbled out of it and through your fingers to your keyboard.

So if the median earning in Dundee is 1.7 percentage points lower than the Scottish median, and yet there's a very high percentage who are in poverty, try doing some simple maths and make the equation balance. If its beyond you, then you'll know (as we suspect) that you're talking bollocks.

How can a bar/pub go away? (You'll have to think about that one.)

Spite should really have some venom or bite to it--that's just backchat. Stay around and learn. But remember you've two ears and one mouth, and its not a bad idea to use them in that ratio.

There, that wasn't too painful, was it?
No time for bickering, need to go take my British Pork Shoulder Joint out of the oven! HA!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
And that's going easy on you...
oh my - way too stressed about making 2nd international move in 13 mths to worry about this!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:54 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your back. And good luck with the move. Hope it all works out for y'all.

Ps where is home in US?

Please tell me TX
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weescot
Maybe a Doha poster can advise on what is best to buy out here. If it is like the UAE, you can get furniture and white goods fairly inexpensively. In UAE most global brands are available, and I am sure you can get American stuff in Doha too. Not sure if IKEA is in Doha, but there will be similar if not. Unless on a full reloation package, most expats buy what they need out here then sell it when they leave.

Personally, I would take what you can least live without. All your fav stuff and essential things for everyday living. I wish I had shipped out my pictures and art. I did take out some nice carpets/rugs - only to find you can get them here quite cheaply.
thanks, I don't see may Doha posters - maybe they have a better social life over there... just kidding :-)
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ccmail321
thanks, I don't see may Doha posters - maybe they have a better social life over there... just kidding :-)
To be honest, not many form Doha post on BE. However, you might like to try this forum:

http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/index.php?showforum=230

We all have pretty active social lives - but you will find the summer here is the opposite to the West - it is like winter as we stay in so much. Pus we are now into Ranadan.

Good luck!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:47 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think she wants to be my friend..

Upsetting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.