Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

What would be a good salary to ask/look for?

What would be a good salary to ask/look for?

Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

oxfordcouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would be a good salary to ask/look for?

Hi all,

We are looking at moving to the middle east next year and want to know what salary we should be asking for.

I am a Cardiac Physiologist and I currently earning £28,000 plus on call and overtime (close to £33,000) and my partner works in the energy sector but has a masters in international business management. She is currently earning £25,000 (plus bonuses). So a combined income of around £55,000 - £60,000.

When I have looked for jobs they all seem to want me to ask for a salary rather than offer one, and my partner doesn't know what type of job she wants to take yet. It may be a case of me working and her being a lady of leisure.

Our purpose for working in the middle east is obviously the experience but we would also like to top up our savings. In order to live comfortably and have a good amount left at the end of each month what should I be looking at salary wise?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:31 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be a good salary to ask/look for?

1. Get married (assuming you are male - if you're female, then both of you will need to work)

2. Google what salaries are on offer, and then base your answer on that - if you price yourself out of the market, you won't get any job. However, be aware that the healthcare services generally are filled by (SE)Asians who will accept lower salaries than Brits. I'd frankly be amazed if you would be offered 55k GBP net basic for being a physio (28,000 AED/month). But you can try.

3. Ask for medical insurance, school fees, accommodation, and flights home for all once per year, on top of your basic salary
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check payscale.com to see what salary data they have for your profession in the Middle East. I expect it may be quite a large range because different nationalities in the same industry are willing to accept hugely different wages.

Also i suggest to post your CV on GulfTalent.com to court a few job offers.

I don't know your industry so can't really advise what salary you could expect.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

oxfordcouple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
1. Get married (assuming you are male - if you're female, then both of you will need to work)

2. Google what salaries are on offer, and then base your answer on that - if you price yourself out of the market, you won't get any job. However, be aware that the healthcare services generally are filled by (SE)Asians who will accept lower salaries than Brits. I'd frankly be amazed if you would be offered 55k GBP net basic for being a physio (28,000 AED/month). But you can try.

3. Ask for medical insurance, school fees, accommodation, and flights home for all once per year, on top of your basic salary
Thank you both for your help.

I have googled the job but I always find that the salary is elusive and whenever I have seen jobs advertised there is no salary given so hence why I was looking for advice. I will keep looking though.
We are looking at getting married before we move out there also.

So if I was to have a salary similar to what I am earning now would I be better off seeing as there is low taxation and accommodation costs wold be covered by my employer? Or would I be pretty much the same? I have looked at the cost of living which seems less than here in Oxford so I am thinking it seems like a good move so far.

Thanks Benny I will definitely look at those two sites.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

No tax, but employer-paid accomodation is getting increasingly rare.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:23 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine

Yup this womble is right, your proffesion is adequately filled, from other regions
Peoples that accept lower wages, but more than, they get back in their homeland.

A challenging and experiencing gathering, but not financial rewarding, is the
Misereor, and Medicins sans frontiers organisations .A stab in the dark maybe the oil companies, and rigging areas, onshore and offshore.
GULFTALENT.com is another site.

Just suggestions and ideas, it depends on your next stage in life wishes, and priorities.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree accommodation can be the killer because it is expensive here in Qatar. A bit less so in Dubai and Abu Dhabi but still not cheap.

Personally i see the tax free environment here as a mixed bag. Its good because you get more of your salary in your pocket but it also means there are many things missing that are paid for by tax in the UK - eg proper sidewalks, public amenities and services etc.