Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Unethical Employer behaviour

Unethical Employer behaviour

Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unethical Employer behaviour

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
For us it's neither a case of the money or for us to be spiteful.
Of course...For you it is an issue of principles...

Originally Posted by girlabouttown
Trouble is despite them claiming they are not in financial trouble (hmmm heard that false claim before!) chances are that they actually are and there just isn't enough money in the pot.

If that is the case being in the right isn't going to make the slightest difference.

I'd chalk it down to a bad experience and put my efforts into the baby.
They are, as a BinHendi group, in good amount of financial problems, it is documented in many media sources, for example:
http://www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=287...cg=4&mset=1011
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Media/10262720.html
The second one is directly about City 7 and it's troubling times, and it was 3 months ago, God knows what state it is in now...
I'm not defending the owners of the station here, but, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of companies in similar situations...

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
then they have broken the law. By Law they have to have all employees end of service gratuities in a separate account.
Wow, they have broken the law...Which puts 99.9% of businesses in Dubai in the same league...How quickly you forgot your man's previous employer's antics...But, you didn't go the legal way, and how swiftly were you vindicated with an even better reward in the guise of a new job...

Originally Posted by girlabouttown
They probably have broken the law. It wouldn't be the first time a company here had disregarded both the legal and ethical standards required of them.

My point is if there is no money there is no money. You can scream and shout, go to court and jump up and down and sadly all you'll get is a great deal of stress and a big bill from your lawyer.
In this case, JD's wife is actually getting paid, not a big-hefty gratuity sum, but, how many years did she work for City 7??? The whole company is not more than 3-4 years old...We don't know her salary, it is not our business to know her salary...But, one should, in difficult times like these, stand back and evaluate the whole picture...

from my understanding to register a case at the labour court it is totally free and the Judges are on the side of the employees.
In an ideal, utopic world, yes...
If that was your understanding, why didn't you and your man go and lodge a complaint on his previous employer if you knew you would win beforehand???

I appreciate what your saying, and as you rightly said, we are putting our efforts into us first and formost.
We do not however intend to to right-it-off as an experience.
To be honest, money isnt the issue here, and im not bothered if we get it or not.
If we allow him to get away with this, he will use the same tactic with other staff within his group of companies, many who are alot more worse off than us.
If at the end of it we dont get any money, but employers have realised they cant break the law like this without people making a stand, then i will be happy
Ok...I see what you're saying and thinking and I agree with it on moral grounds...
But, consider this for a moment; you will file suit, and you will win, excellent news...You'll get something like 50K more + they will pay the legal and attorney fees etc, and you will be happy that you made your stand and won...Perfect scenario for both of you...You'll go home happy...
What next will happen for the other poor souls that are still working there??? People who are not fortunate in their lives as both of you are...If they're not axed, they may start getting less money; even AED1,000 may impact a great deal in people's lives. Or, when the time comes and they are axed, they will get proportionally less gratuity money, etc...And that in turn will impact the livelihood of many families...

Look, I always advocate fairness;the company should pay, by all means...But, in this particular scenario and with bad things going on around us, you are not only punishing the management of said TV station, and you are not punishing the owner's Group; you are indirectly punishing the very people remaining there who are going to work everyday hoping that the company would get out of tough times and they get back to their normal lives...
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

can't be bothered to quote, we got all our dues on the day we were entitled to them, there was a bit of hassle over the car but we got it sorted and we got exactly what we were entitled too, hence we had no cause to register a case at the labour court. There is another poster on here who has a case at the Labour Court but I can't remember their user ID.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:33 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius

Look, I always advocate fairness;the company should pay, by all means...But, in this particular scenario and with bad things going on around us, you are not only punishing the management of said TV station, and you are not punishing the owner's Group; you are indirectly punishing the very people remaining there who are going to work everyday hoping that the company would get out of tough times and they get back to their normal lives...
No one is going to be left there, they are closing, and have/are selling their Media/Broadcsting licence to another party for many many millions of dollars.

So, as a station they have the money, as a group they have the money..
This is about their greed, not mine.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

can't be bothered to quote, we got all our dues on the day we were entitled to them, there was a bit of hassle over the car but we got it sorted and we got exactly what we were entitled too, hence we had no cause to register a case at the labour court. There is another poster on here who has a case at the Labour Court but I can't remember their user ID.
I see...If that was the case, why did I get the impression your man was victinised and treated very badly and they put the cherry on the top with the car mishmash...
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I see...If that was the case, why did I get the impression your man was victinised and treated very badly and they put the cherry on the top with the car mishmash...
we were treated appaulingly but we did get every dirham that we were entitled too though.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No one is going to be left there, they are closing, and have/are selling their Media/Broadcsting licence to another party for many many millions of dollars.

So, as a station they have the money, as a group they have the money..
This is about their greed, not mine.
Like many businesses that have expanded recently, they did all theirs with leveraged finances...
I don't see anyone would openly publicize that their business is in trouble, especially if it is not a public company...
Anyway, you're bent on realizing your intentions, then so be it...
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

we were treated appaulingly but we did get every dirham that we were entitled too though.
Can it be considered as equal to being treated perfectly but not getting all your entitlements???
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:45 am
Concierge

Can it be considered as equal to being treated perfectly but not getting all your entitlements???
the whole situation could have been handled alot better ....
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the whole situation could have been handled alot better ....
Was it the first disappointment in your life, BC???
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:55 am
Concierge

Was it the first disappointment in your life, BC???
of this nature, yes
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:29 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, you're bent on realizing your intentions, then so be it...
Tino, your bent on pushing this issue, and its begining to piss me off.

Please check your PMs
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tino, your bent on pushing this issue, and its begining to piss me off.

Please check your PMs
Easy tiger...
Thanks for the PM...Now I can see your angle bright and clear...
Good luck...
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:41 pm
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Of course...For you it is an issue of principles...

They are, as a BinHendi group, in good amount of financial problems, it is documented in many media sources, for example:
http://www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=287...cg=4&mset=1011
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Media/10262720.html
The second one is directly about City 7 and it's troubling times, and it was 3 months ago, God knows what state it is in now...
I'm not defending the owners of the station here, but, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of companies in similar situations...

Wow, they have broken the law...Which puts 99.9% of businesses in Dubai in the same league...How quickly you forgot your man's previous employer's antics...But, you didn't go the legal way, and how swiftly were you vindicated with an even better reward in the guise of a new job...

In this case, JD's wife is actually getting paid, not a big-hefty gratuity sum, but, how many years did she work for City 7??? The whole company is not more than 3-4 years old...We don't know her salary, it is not our business to know her salary...But, one should, in difficult times like these, stand back and evaluate the whole picture...

In an ideal, utopic world, yes...
If that was your understanding, why didn't you and your man go and lodge a complaint on his previous employer if you knew you would win beforehand???

Ok...I see what you're saying and thinking and I agree with it on moral grounds...
But, consider this for a moment; you will file suit, and you will win, excellent news...You'll get something like 50K more + they will pay the legal and attorney fees etc, and you will be happy that you made your stand and won...Perfect scenario for both of you...You'll go home happy...
What next will happen for the other poor souls that are still working there??? People who are not fortunate in their lives as both of you are...If they're not axed, they may start getting less money; even AED1,000 may impact a great deal in people's lives. Or, when the time comes and they are axed, they will get proportionally less gratuity money, etc...And that in turn will impact the livelihood of many families...

Fucius, it would just *good* to see them selling all their mercedes, all of their villas, blings and stuff and THEN claim that they got no money. Before it is simply unacceptable. They have plenty of assets to get read for something called *cash*.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:48 pm
Up in the air

Easy tiger...
Thanks for the PM...Now I can see your angle bright and clear...
Good luck...
No worries
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
Fucius, it would just *good* to see them selling all their mercedes, all of their villas, blings and stuff and THEN claim that they got no money. Before it is simply unacceptable. They have plenty of assets to get read for something called *cash*.
Let me demonstrate the mindset of an arab businessman: the last thing that they will sell to cover business debts is personal belongings...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.