British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   teaching jobs in abu dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/teaching-jobs-abu-dhabi-595024/)

genan Mar 2nd 2009 6:55 pm

teaching jobs in abu dhabi

I have recently attended two interviews for 2 schools in Abu Dhabi namely Emirates National and Pearl Primary. However i am a little worried about the accommodation. Does any one know what teaching is like over there and what the accommodation is like for teachers?

hawkhead Mar 3rd 2009 4:09 am

Re: teaching jobs in abu dhabi

Don't know anything about accommodation (didn't you ask them in the interview?) but I wouldn't touch ENS with a barge-pole. I know several people who work(ed) there and it sounds a complete nightmare. You should be fine with Pearl Primary. If you have a PGCE and experience of teaching in the UK you could also try BSAK (British School Al Khubairat).

genan Mar 3rd 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7339697)
Don't know anything about accommodation (didn't you ask them in the interview?) but I wouldn't touch ENS with a barge-pole. I know several people who work(ed) there and it sounds a complete nightmare. You should be fine with Pearl Primary. If you have a PGCE and experience of teaching in the UK you could also try BSAK (British School Al Khubairat).

I did ask about accommodation and they both said single furnished appartment but I wanted to know what it look like.

By the way I do have a PGCE and have been teaching in UK for 5 years.

Applied to BSAK but didn't get interview.

What other schools would you recommend in Abu Dhabi?

hawkhead Mar 4th 2009 4:29 am

I would have thought BSAK and PP would be your best bet. Otherwise you could try Al Rabia (sp?) which is a private school but a lot of the staff are western and they seem happy enough (I have some friends working there).

busybee2 Mar 4th 2009 7:11 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7339697)

yes do go anywhere near ens. bsak or pearl or yasmina (brit curr schools) are fine. they wont tell you where because they may not have any accommodation (big prob here) but i know a lot of teachers from bsak/pp/yasima and its fine.

genan Mar 4th 2009 9:05 am

Thanks for the advice :)

lanarkwitch Mar 4th 2009 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by genan (Post 7340448)
I did ask about accommodation and they both said single furnished appartment but I wanted to know what it look like.

By the way I do have a PGCE and have been teaching in UK for 5 years.

Applied to BSAK but didn't get interview.

What other schools would you recommend in Abu Dhabi?

New British International School opening in Sept is now recruiting, try searching on Nord Anglia

genan Mar 6th 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for that Lanarkwitch:thumbsup: