Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

HELP: Job offer: Minimum Package for BH

HELP: Job offer: Minimum Package for BH

Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Highoward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP: Job offer: Minimum Package for BH

I hope someone here may help me.

I'm a young architect (2 years experience) made redundant this week in the United Kingdom.

I have mailed dozens of local architectural practices in the Middle East (Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia; not a single one in Dubai since I have been told it's totally ****ed up with the crisis).

I received a mail from one Bahrani practice asking for the package I would consider.

Anyone has an idea of the medium salary in Manama for a junior architect? How expensive the city is? As for car and housing allowance? Is a car compulsory in Manama as in Dubai or Kuwait is?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Highoward; Feb 15th 2009 at 12:54 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:02 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Re: HELP: Job offer: Minimum Package for BH

For what it's worth here is my two pennarth.

Average salaries seem to be around UK pounds 2,500 to 3,000 per month.

Housing is EXPENSIVE! If you are single you will get a flat somewhere decent for around 700 pounds per month plus electric, water and rates which will add another 150.

So you would ask for salary plus housing. Car might be a problem as hard to get a loan now, but if you are working on sites they should provide a car or allowance. You will need a car.

Cost of living high if you go out a lot. Food inexpensive.

Two good expat clubs with beer at 3 pounds a pint compaired to hotels at more than double.

But be careful as Bahrain is just starting to feel the pinch with lots of projects grinding to a halt.

Also, take into consideration that bahrain MPs have all voted to ban alcohol and pork so, if it comes into force Bahrain will not be a very attractive post. This could work for you in that not many expats will want to come here to work!

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

From 2007-early 08 experience
Bahrain in some ways is less hassle than Dubai or Abu Dhabi. When it comes to housing you should be able to get a reasonable 2 bed fully furnished, fully expensed apartment in Juffair or better still near the brit club for around 600 bhd a month. You also get a diplomatic clause in your contract which is basically a way of giving a months notice to leave the apartment if you need to leave the country which is better than we have here.
Ask for a car with the job because you can guarantee it will get bent, dented or written off by bladdered sodi on a weekend binge at some point. The driving in BH is some of the worse I have experienced.
Many companies are playing games with salaries at the moment because the
dinar is so strong so stick with a salary in BHD. 2-2.5k bhd a month was the going rate back in 07.
LMAO @ the pork n Booze ban. Be aware that only 3 clubs on the island can sell booze during ramadan, all the hotel bars are shut. I wouldnt be surprised to see them ban it all together as the other guy says,
Also be aware that tensions run high in bahrain between different factions and this can spread out into violence especially during December. One of my team was caught in cross fire between one group and the police, not nice.

Do your homework on BH first. There is next to sod all to do bar drink and drink more so if they ban booze then there will be absolutely sod all to do except whore it. There is nothing you could call a beach so you need to join a club.
As I like a drink I had no problem in BH and loved club life though the Brit club did resemble the Philipino club on a weekend.

Have fun and good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

123woody is an unknown quantity at this point

Find out what your "parachute" would be if it all goes wrong and what the company gives you.
Plenty of people across the ME have flown in to find job redundant.
May not have happened there yet but it's always a possibility.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

I have received another offer for Riyadh for a similar position. How would be the minimum required there?

Is KSA that bad? I have read quite a few things about Saudi Arabia and Riyadh and it seems like "Welcome to the XV Century". And besides Riyadh seems to have the worst-weather ever (too hot) and far from the sea.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:37 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

I have worked all over Saudi and Riyadh is not that bad. Sure it's hot as hell in summer but no humudity like we have in Bahrain and Jeddah.

Get a place on a decent compound and you will soon get into the social scene.

Join the British Businessmans Association as soon as you get in and they will introduce you to the embassy crowd and maybe a drink or two.

Also, buy yourself a couple of dustbins and get brewing!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eylesda
I have worked all over Saudi and Riyadh is not that bad. Sure it's hot as hell in summer but no humudity like we have in Bahrain and Jeddah.

Get a place on a decent compound and you will soon get into the social scene.

Join the British Businessmans Association as soon as you get in and they will introduce you to the embassy crowd and maybe a drink or two.

Also, buy yourself a couple of dustbins and get brewing!
Thanks for your reply, eylesda.

Salary proposed for KSA is really low by expat standars (it's my previous salary in London plus housing + car allowance ). But I'm a recent Graduate with 2 years experience and I know I can't ask for a great package since many people now consider moving to anywhere in Middle East as things are going so bad in Europe.

I wonder if once I'm in KSA, I could easily move after a few months and get another job in a more Western-friendly, relaxed country (Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi), with a better salary.

I have been told that people who has worked in DXB has easily transferable skills/employment in the rest of the Gulf region, so I guess that it also applies for KSA.