KAUST - job interview

Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

HeyJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KAUST - job interview

Hi All

In need for some advice here.
I got a call from KAUST HR for an engineering position. The position is below my usual rank, but I don't really care as long as I can learn and grow and as long as it pays well (most important in my case). I landed the job I have now (contract) by applying for a lower position and then getting a better offer. I have a wife and two kids.
The HR said he will delegate my name for a technical interview.

Now, I'm not sure what to expect really, but I am kean on finding a good ME job and even staying for 5-10 years. (and take a big big rest from London)

What is the salary range I can expect?
Do I get paid accommodation or I need to find one?
Is nursery&schooling free?
What is there for my wife to do while I'm working?
Any advice?

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KAUST - job interview

You'll need to give exact details on the role for anyone to help you.

One point from my side, promotion is next to impossible for expats typically. You'll stay on the contract you started with.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
You'll need to give exact details on the role for anyone to help you.

One point from my side, promotion is next to impossible for expats typically. You'll stay on the contract you started with.
Lead Electrical Engineer, I think. I was baffled a little bit after I took a look at their job listing and there are roles much closer to what I'm qualified for, but hey, who am I to judge...

Regarding promotions... as long as I am paid well, I do not care. CV is strong as it is. By growing I meant knowledge growth. I also want enough time to wrap up writing my book/manual.

Last edited by HeyJoe; Nov 6th 2017 at 1:56 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:29 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeyJoe
Lead Electrical Engineer, I think. I was baffled a little bit after I took a look at their job listing and there are roles much closer to what I'm qualified for, but hey, who am I to judge...

Regarding promotions... as long as I am paid well, I do not care. CV is strong as it is. By growing I meant knowledge growth. I also want enough time to wrap up writing my book/manual.
Lead design engineer or lead engineer for actual work execution or facilities maintenance ? I'd hazard a guess at $2-4000 USD per month plus accommodation included if you are in the university itself.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Lead design engineer or lead engineer for actual work execution or facilities maintenance ? I'd hazard a guess at $2-4000 USD per month plus accommodation included if you are in the university itself.
Lead Maintenence Eng. In charge of 7 engineers&technicians.

4000$ ? I don't think so. My office manager was earning that much. Where did you get that info?

When it comes to myself, as consultant/designer in ME, my salary was 7k GBP and that was 4 years ago. Now I'm worth 8-9k.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 1:51 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by HeyJoe
Lead Maintenence Eng. In charge of 7 engineers&technicians.

4000$ ? I don't think so. My office manager was earning that much. Where did you get that info?

When it comes to myself, as consultant/designer in ME, my salary was 7k GBP and that was 4 years ago. Now I'm worth 8-9k.
That's roughly what we paid our guys (construction company and facilities management) the lead engineers were Arab nationals or Indians, it wasn't generally a western expat role.

I guess you'll know as soon as you get the offer.