Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Structural Engineer Salary for Expat in Saudi Arabia

Structural Engineer Salary for Expat in Saudi Arabia

Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Structural Engineer Salary for Expat in Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by internationalcanuck
Weasel deCentral
Yes, the role is more of a structural consultant, we will be doing QA on construction project.
ok like a resident engineer type?

Well what I mentioned is about the best you will achieve, especially if you are doing QA not design. Any higher and you'll price yourself out against more local engineers such as egyptians, jordanians etc

look for 5 days work as standard (if possible) also and overtime to be paid after that. as most of these companies charge against the contractor for so called "out of hours" work.
Left KSA about 18 months ago but still involved in tenders there, and live projects (but remotely involved thank god)
Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
You won't get 40% above gross, not a chance right now.
No, I realise that, but Saudi still carries a premium over the rest of the Gulf, and negotiations always have to start somewhere, just a case, I suppose of not pricing yourself out the market. Good point.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:00 am
Just Joined

internationalcanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

They told me it's a 48 hour workweek. 5.5 days per week.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:04 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

ok well normally it ksa its a 6 day week, 8 hours per day for 6 days. but the reality is maybe 10 hours per day (so 60 hours)

if you can get the overtime written in, its a good money making exercise as when in ksa you might as well be working, as otherwise there is zero else to do.

want to hint at the project or location, and I might know more.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to be doing longer hours, as if that is what they have told you then the chances are that the lies have already started...
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:06 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by OleJanx
No, I realise that, but Saudi still carries a premium over the rest of the Gulf, and negotiations always have to start somewhere, just a case, I suppose of not pricing yourself out the market. Good point.
I am seeing the packages on offer in the gulf or otherwise and in general its depressed at the moment. What i mentioned is at the upper end of achievable right now as far as I can see.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Apr 7th 2012 at 8:10 am.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Hey Weasel deCentral,

I would be working on the KAFD (King Abdullah Financial District)
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I am seeing the packages on offer in the gulf or otherwise and in general its depressed at the moment. What i mentioned is at the upper end of achievable right now as far as I can see.
OPs first offer was $110k all - in. Start bouncing accomodation, transportation and sundry other odds and sods, and it isn't the most generous package going.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:23 am
Knee deep and rising

Hey Weasel deCentral,

I would be working on the KAFD (King Abdullah Financial District)
Ok i know it well, on the plus side this one is near the airport! I am dealing with something there at the moment through MACE group, and also Hill international. The consultants I have are Nikken from Japan.
If this is your project you can be sure its going to be 60 hours or more per week. The site is very busy, a huge number of towers happening at the same time and they have some ridiculous schedules at the moment.
Also there is not a huge amount of offices on the project site (due to space constraints) so many of the people are in remote offices and have to visit the site, this might be relevant to your transport claim
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:27 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by OleJanx
OPs first offer was $110k all - in. Start bouncing accomodation, transportation and sundry other odds and sods, and it isn't the most generous package going.

I figured 80k minimum salary, plus accommodation (25k maybe), plus transport (18k ish) plus 3 flights to wherever (10k) was the upper range. so that's 133k all in roughly.

but for sure you don't want the huge headache of sourcing the house yourself
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:30 am
Just Joined

weasel decentral,
Thanks for this info, this is great to know.
I know talking with some other western expats there now, a lot of younger single people don't seem to be in compounds, and are given housing allowances.

I figured it is a tight construction timeline. My company would like me over there ASAP.
They are saying that I'd be on some work/business visit, and would have to leave the country every 30 days, and return to my country of origin every 90 days (all expensespaid for by the company), because it takes too long to get the longer-stay permit?
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Chatting with some other expats, I've heard Al Aqiq is neighbourhood close to KAFD, and a decent neighbourhood to live?
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:37 am
Knee deep and rising

Chatting with some other expats, I've heard Al Aqiq is neighbourhood close to KAFD, and a decent neighbourhood to live?
not sure of the neighbourhoods really as i lived in compounds, its not like you'll be out and about in your neighbourhood anyhow.
You are close to grenada mall from there, and not too far from the city centre (basically just more malls and restaurants)

the visa thing means you go to bahrain every month which is a good escape, and home every 90 days is good. make sure its written clearly on the contract.

the main reason for this is because companies have to block book resident visas (iqama) in advance and obviously they do not have one for you so must do it this way. its not uncommon

as you can tell i am having a slow morning in work !!
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

If I don't have a resident visa, can I still purchase a car? or rent an apartment?
I guess that is why I should have the company take care of those things?

KSA is a bloody complicated country.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Basic salary (excluding allowances) you should aim for your gross salary, as take home in Gulf.

Company housing - you must get this organised & paid for by your company.

Car allowance - some people say it's essential, I think it's a nice perk but not worth necessarily sticking your neck out for, unless you need a 4WD for the job i.e. lots of site visits, and then it should be a company paid, company maintained car, but insist on seeing the insurance details - are you covered?!

3 flights per year is unrealistic nowadays. Yes, that used to happen and still does in sh*tholes like Nigeria or PNG, but not in the Gulf (in my experience). 1 per year minimum. See if you can swing business.

Leave - should be about 6 whole weeks per year (paid). Some companies work on week days, others work on calendar days. Some make you work 5 days a week, others 6 days a week. Bottom line is though, that you should be able to take a two week chunk of leave around Christmas and four weeks at Summer and not be out of pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.