Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should I move to UAE even on a lower salary than now?

Should I move to UAE even on a lower salary than now?

Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should I move to UAE even on a lower salary than now?

I am moving to UAE soon on an offer that I have accepted, but I am worried I am accepting too little.

Initially I worked it all out and thought it was a decent offer, mainly because of the tax advantage, but after doing a more detailed comparison of my costs here and in UAE I see I will have much less left over as savings there compared to here in the UK.

My base in UAE is about 30% lower than my UK gross salary.

My question is whether it is worth me doing it to get a foot in the region, and then after a year I can move for more money?

I am<snip> for a major international bank<snip>. The role I'd be moving to is a similar position at a SWF but with no team.

I'm happy about the chance to move to the Middle East, but concerned that I will have less money left over than now and that I will then find it harder to move back up the pay scale in future.

Last edited by Bob; Dec 8th 2016 at 11:39 am. Reason: Identifiable info snipped
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move to UAE even on a lower salary than now?

In short, no.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

No.

30% more than what you currently make, gross, sure.

But 30% less? Even with housing etc separate?

No.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Housing is separate and is generous so I would be able to save some of that which closes the gap. Also there's other allowances. But it's still frustrating that they went low.

I pushed the agent but he said they wouldn't change their initial offer. Perhaps in retrospect I'd have been better negotiating with them directly, but too late for that now as I have agreed it.

I've more or less reached the point of no return now, having agreed a lease for my place in the UK. Only thing I haven't done is resign from work - so I could still change my mind if I have to.

It's a really hard decision for me and my mind is tormenting me every day. If I dont do it will I regret the opportunity. If I do do it will I regret selling myself cheap. Oh what to do what to do.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

A 30% reduction in salary ?

Simple answer would be "NO". If you wanted to try it - can you not take extended leave for 3 months and then try for the probationary period ? Remember there is a reason why the other side of the fence is green as it is due to the (horse) manure !
Old Dec 6th 2016, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

If there are kids - certainly no. If no kids, it is still probably no. Some costs are avoidable.

but... this is something that annoys me, you currently pay housing out of your salary. Thus if someone is now covering your housing, you need to compare salaries net of housing costs, or add the housing to the salary.

Anyway, I probably would ask for more.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 11:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The value of the total package is what counts.

Do not assume you will be able to find another role with a higher salary in a year's time.

Also bear in mind that you need to be out of the UK for at least one full tax year for your income here to not be liable for UK income tax. If you come out shortly and return in a year you would well be asked to pay tax on all your income and benefits in the UAE.

It's just not worth selling yourself short.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 12:22 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Factors:

Total saveable income. That is, how much do you save now versus how much you’d be able to save in the new position. Only you know whether the increase (assuming it is an increase) is worth it. If it’s not an increase, it’s definitely not worth it unless a) your first priority isn’t increased savings, or b) there are other priorities that, in aggregate, outweigh increased savings.

Job security. You don’t say if those <snip>years were with the same company, but if so that’s a fair chunk of likely security to be giving up. How much security are you likely to be giving up?

Future job progression. Probably far more difficult to achieve in UAE. What are your aims?

Are you running away from something? Seriously. Maybe it’s just boredom and the grey London skies.

Risk. As has been said often and widely (maybe not specifically to you): things can go wrong quickly and terminally in the Middle East, which can cost (especially tax and set-up costs). Are the financial (and other) advantages worth it?

We don’t need answers to the above. You do, and only you have those answers.

Last edited by Bob; Dec 8th 2016 at 11:41 am.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:05 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
It's a really hard decision for me and my mind is tormenting me every day. If I dont do it will I regret the opportunity. If I do do it will I regret selling myself cheap. Oh what to do what to do.
Don't do it unless there are other factors in play unrelated to the role. Other offers will come along, treat this as a learning experience that didn't cost too much.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
If there are kids - certainly no. If no kids, it is still probably no. Some costs are avoidable.

but... this is something that annoys me, you currently pay housing out of your salary. Thus if someone is now covering your housing, you need to compare salaries net of housing costs, or add the housing to the salary.

Anyway, I probably would ask for more.
Originally Posted by Meow
The value of the total package is what counts.

Consider all factors.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

KJinDoha is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you must tally the whole package and estimated costs to compare net amounts.

remember to include pension and public services in your calculation of the UK package, and 'end of service' and allowance pay into your calculation of the UAE package.

If your basic pay is substantially less in the UAE but other factors increase the net amount / disposable income then it may be worth it.

Then, as mentioned above, you may want to consider the risks of the UAE. Such as job security. I know of people who returned to the UK in less than a year and therefore were taxed on their UAE income and didn't receive the 'end of service' and allowance pay, they were substantially worse off by making the move.

KJ
Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've got more time today.

Give us some facts because I can't remember;

Family status? How many kids?

Current UK Salary:
Current UK Monthly Nett / take home:
Current Housing costs:
Current Transport costs:

UAE Offer:
Monthly AED
Housing?
Car?
Flights?
Other Extras?

Then we'll do some sums mate.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:05 am
Just Joined

sman987 is an unknown quantity at this point

If its at <snip> (as its one of only two SWF's in the UAE) I wouldn't advertise you might turn it down on here.

Last edited by Bob; Dec 8th 2016 at 11:42 am.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi - No it isnt. And actually the role is at a different type of company, but I had to anonymise it a little for here.

I've already decided to take the role and have signed the contract. I guess I was looking for input, which I should have done earlier in the process, as to what the norm is. I can't provide full details here as I don't want to risk jeopardizing it.

Thanks so much everyone for the input. It really helps, and I have taken it all on board. You're a great bunch of people on here.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:44 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Hi - No it isnt. And actually the role is at a different type of company, but I had to anonymise it a little for here.

I've already decided to take the role and have signed the contract. I guess I was looking for input, which I should have done earlier in the process, as to what the norm is. I can't provide full details here as I don't want to risk jeopardizing it.

Thanks so much everyone for the input. It really helps, and I have taken it all on board. You're a great bunch of people on here.
Good luck with the role, I hope it works out for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.