Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Seeking work – Security Engineer and Lawyer

Seeking work – Security Engineer and Lawyer

Old Jan 30th 2017, 11:29 am
Just Joined

advocate1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking work – Security Engineer and Lawyer

Hello everyone,

My husband (Security Engineer) and I (Lawyer) are planning to visit the Middle-East/East Asia in view of seeking work. We currently live in London and we previously worked in other European and East African countries. A few years ago we really enjoyed our short holiday in Dubai and Doha, so this time we are planning a new visit - hoping we can meet prospective employers.

What are the prospects of getting work whilst on a short visit? For example in Dubai/Abu Dhabi?

Do you have any details of agencies/people you know in these particular sectors that can assist expats who visit, to find work locally?

I do appreciate reading the BE threads and we will be happy to hear from anyone with information to guide us to the right direction.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:55 am
Just Joined

AdamLM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeking work – Security Engineer and Lawyer

There are a few things to consider based on your career choices.

First of all is the fact that as a British qualified solicitor I think you will only be able to get a job as a paralegal. You may find that you are only accepted if you can speak and write Arabic also.

If your husband is an engineer it also depends at what level in his career he is at. He could probably get a job at senior management level but the middle east is loaded with cheap engineers from Asia.

I'm not saying that neither of you will get jobs but you need to consider the reality of things. Do your own research, use google to look at job opportunities. If there is no salary listed for a particular job then think to yourself if the job could be done by an equally qualified or even less qualified expat from Asia.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

advocate1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeking work – Security Engineer and Lawyer

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your reply - sure, we must consider the reality of things and your post helps us to note the options that are available for us.

We are currently in contact with a few firms - so, we do hope the negotiations will go well.

Thanks and best wishes to you.