Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Scope for salary negotiation in Qatar?

Scope for salary negotiation in Qatar?

Old Sep 29th 2015, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scope for salary negotiation in Qatar?

Hello,

I am looking for advice from expats with experience of working in Qatar!

My husband is in the process of accepting a job in Qatar. The next stage will be discussing salary. I am aware of the 'formula' for calculating salary offers in this company, but how rigid are these offers generally? The job was advertised with a salary 'window'. How much scope is there usually to negotiate?

(Just looking at current exchange rates, the salary QAR isn't as favourable as when he first applied several months ago).

Many thanks.

Last edited by Sarah_Jane; Sep 29th 2015 at 8:13 am.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scope for salary negotiation in Qatar?

Well, you could help us help you by sharing more information. For example what is the formula that you refer to? Based on this 'formula', what is the expected salary? What is your husband's background and what is the company or sector he is being interviewed for?

With this info, one might be able to (try to) *really* answer your question, as opposed to just speculate.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks Omega 7.

I guess I am just asking whether it's common practice to negotiate salary in Qatar?

The company offering the job is government owned. I was told (and have read here before) that salaries offered are generally 20% more than your current uk salary and then a 1/3 added on to cover housing and traveling expenses. The package includes flights, healthcare and contribution towards moving expenses and schooling.

But I notice that the exchange rate can make a considerable difference to the amount of savings you can put by in the UK. If my husband was offered the job in Oct last year, he would have automatically been offered the higher pay band. With current exchange rates (which seem to be very low compared to the average over the last 5 years) they might offer the mid band salary, which will impact on our hopes for savings if the exchange rate returns towards it's average (which I must assume they will).

Looking at it objectively, I think we'll have to negotiate, whether it's common practice or not!

I just wondered if anyone has had experience in this area?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you can always ask for more; this is not an issue. Whether they'll indeed offer more though is a different story. Govnt salaries are usually based on the job's grade. There is some room for negotiation (within each grade's salary range) but not much.

Govnt agencies may also provide special contracts. These are annual (but renewable) and the salary is all-inclusive. Usually this kind of package is more generous than what one would receive by getting assigned to a specific grade. However, you are also (usually) not eligible for end-of-service benefits.

Re the formula, the +20% is more like a rule of thumb and it is by no means something that you can fully rely on. Especially in Qatar i don't think that they'd really pay too much attention, when deciding on what salary to offer, on what your husband earns now (note: for a major employer in KSA though it could be a different story). Consequently, the change in the FX won't make much of a difference in what they offer as a salary.

Now FX can make a big difference though on what you end up saving; but this is a risk you'd need to consider and why not hedge against.

Last edited by omega7; Sep 29th 2015 at 12:49 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you again Omega7,yes, that is my thinking exactly. He would be looking to negotiate within the offered pay band, and the higher rate would reduce some of the risk, at least as far as the FX is concerned.Your thoughts are much appreciated Omega7 - many thanks.