schools in Doha

Old May 12th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Haron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools in Doha

Hi guys
I 've read much about how difficult it is to get kids in schools in Doha. Is it still the case now as I got a job offer and my concern is to get my kids enrolled (I have 3). Also which schools are good affordable ones? If I travel in 2 months time (just before the school start) how likely can I get kids enrolled?

Thanks
Old May 13th 2013, 8:35 am
Just Joined

LMMB2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: schools in Doha

Hello getting school places in Doha is extremely difficult. Most school applications start the year before required entry. In addition to this children are required to sit entrance exams before gaining places or even being accepted on waiting lists. The age of your children and the type of curriculum you want are also important. There are a few British curriculum schools Doha College primary and secondary they have also opened a new primary however you will be extremely unlikely to gain a place for September, other British schools include Doha British school, Doha English speaking school ( primary only) Parkhouse English Speaking school. There are also a group of schools called Newton. I would say to give the schools a call , people leave all the time so you might be lucky but if you are thinking of bringing your family for the beginning of the new school year you may need to take what you can get IF BIG IF anything or homeschool until a place becomes available.

Other schools include Sherborne, Compass American School of Doha and ACS all have websites.

Sorry this email seems negative but better to be forewarned!!! Another consideration is are your school fees being paid by your company as they are expensive especially if you have three .I have three children and they will be starting Doha British School. Many of the schools will take your money simply to be added to the list knowing there is little chance of your children being offered a place. However if you are determined to make the move I am sure you will find a way be prepared to call, call, email lots and visit it pays off if they see you. Good luck any more questions feel free to ask. Expat Women Forum and Qatar living have lots of info on schools.
Old May 13th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks LMMB for your clear reply. My kids are in a primary school and I do not like the idea of home-schooling. Do you think this problem should put me off the job? The other point is I don't think I can afford British or Ameran schools for 3 kids. My perspective employer will offer 80k QR towards education. Do you think it is doable for them? (even if I pay on the top 10-20k).

Thanks
Old May 14th 2013, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

My friend has to children at compass and has just paid the yearly fees of 120k to give you an idea.
Good luck
Old May 14th 2013, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

Two children sorry
Old May 14th 2013, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Yes school places and fees are a massive consideration however I would urge you to contact the schools directly in order to get current available costs and available places. There are are group of schools called Newton which have mixed reviews from parents whose children attend they follow a British style curriculum and are more reasonably priced. You will most probably have to top up your school fees but I don't think this is as uncommon as some people might think. I would say it depends on what you are looking for, how long you anticipate staying etc. Many husbands go ahead of wives and families in order to obtain school places before moving across but the school of choice may not become available until September2014. There is a page on the site called Expat Woman which gives you a comparison of fees. One more thing to note is that you will be charged to go on the waiting lists and for entrance exams. Good luck!
Old May 14th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
My friend has to children at compass and has just paid the yearly fees of 120k to give you an idea.
Good luck
Thanks Crewgirl for your feedback
I presume this is a British or American school, which have the high fees compared to other schools.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LMMB2012
Yes school places and fees are a massive consideration however I would urge you to contact the schools directly in order to get current available costs and available places. There are are group of schools called Newton which have mixed reviews from parents whose children attend they follow a British style curriculum and are more reasonably priced. You will most probably have to top up your school fees but I don't think this is as uncommon as some people might think. I would say it depends on what you are looking for, how long you anticipate staying etc. Many husbands go ahead of wives and families in order to obtain school places before moving across but the school of choice may not become available until September2014. There is a page on the site called Expat Woman which gives you a comparison of fees. One more thing to note is that you will be charged to go on the waiting lists and for entrance exams. Good luck!
I looked at Newton school website, which has different categories. The International Newton school Tuition fees is 22,700 QR, in addition to other fees, which is affordable. However, the places problem remains unsolved. I don't like the idea of leaving family behind for a long time. BTW, normally the whole family get the visa or only the employee and then family follows?
Old May 14th 2013, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

I am not sure about visa issue as I think that may depend on the company. I believe , and I stand to be corrected, that it is quite possible for the whole family to come over together...you will be issued a work visa but until you have your RP residents permit you will be unable to sponser wife and children. However if you do not have an RP within a month/ two months your family would have to do a visa run e.g. Leave country and re enter. It depends very much on how quickly the company organise things. I believe, although not what we have chosen to do, that many families come altogether and make the move.....I would phone, phone again schools email and see what response is regarding places. It is impossible for someone to say what is best as all circumstances are different e.g. How much do you need this job? Are you going for an adventure? Are you a previous expat?

All I can say from personal experience is that it is a massive decision and one which we have not fully made yet..in that my husband has been in Doha since beginning of Nov myself and children have travelled to see him a couple of times. We have now sorted school and villa but this has been an ongoing process . Job was offered last June started in November so something else to think about. We will move over mid August.

Any other questions ask away but on this forum I am certainly not he most experienced. Bet of luck.
Old May 14th 2013, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_...ational_School

It looks as if the "British" branch is more expensive than the "International" branch.
Old May 14th 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks heaps LMMB2012 for your reply; much appreciated. The prospective employer said I can get the work visa and the rest of the family can accompany me and get tourist visas in the airport. I agree with you it is easier for the family to move when things are sorted i.e. accommodation and schools. but I find it hard to leave my family behind for longer than a month. The employer advised that I come for 2 weeks or so to see things on the ground before making the move, which I am considering now. It is a big step, but I have to move because otherwise I will stay where I am for ages, as I don't know when the next opportunity comes.
Old May 14th 2013, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

I know it is not easy being apart!!! Best of luck with your move
Old May 15th 2013, 8:19 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

School places are available but you will need to jump through the various hoops required - registration, possible tests, selection process etc. It is pointless moaning about these as they are common and what you have to do to get a place. This article gives you an idea of the shortages there are.

http://dohanews.co/post/50413677962/...ees-amid-child

Fees are high in any decent school here but you can send your kids to other cheaper options but they are cheaper for a reason. While it seems expensive coming from a "free" state school in the UK it is a private school here and private school fees apply so you have to include this in any financial justifications for coming here.

Of the schooling options these are my views:
Doha College - good choice but join the waiting list. They are opening a new primary / junior school but this is already full and you might not get in until 2014.
DESS - as per above. This is a primary / junior school and a feeder school of Doha College (DC) but as DC are opening the new primary / junior school the DESS kids will have to join the wait list like everyone else for the senior school.
Sherborne - good choice for academic but a bit out of the way and facilities could be better.
Campus - OK but spread over several locations so watch you don't have to travel all over the place to drop off / pick up (use the school bus if you dare)
Park House - Quite good (don't know much about it though)
Newton British - not great - international school is just that "international" in that it has a UK based curriculum but had mixed comments on teaching
American School - good school but you will be lucky to get in unless your company is a sponsor for the school or you work at the US embassy
ISL - only heard bad things about it
ACS - don't know much about it but follows American syllabus in older years.

There are probably a few others kicking around but couldn't give a view on them. If you have a British passport then you do get some preference but as there aren't enough spaces for the people here already new arrivals tend to join the lists - unless you know someone who knows someone!
Old May 15th 2013, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks P18PPS for your detailed reply

Originally Posted by P18PPS
(use the school bus if you dare)
what is the problem of using the school bus?
Old May 16th 2013, 1:39 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

All generalisations but:
Rubbish driving, poor vehicle safety, expensive, occasional horror stories about kids left on the bus after falling asleep or the driver wanting to do shopping etc., then if your kids do after school activities there might not be any service so you end up collecting them anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.