Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Saudi - "Engineer" Iqama Profession New Rule

Saudi - "Engineer" Iqama Profession New Rule

Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

melb_ksa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi - "Engineer" Iqama Profession New Rule

I got this happy e-mail from my HR the other day:

As announced by the Passport Department today, those bearing the profession of “Engineer” on their Iqama’s will not have their Iqama renewed unless they provide a professional membership card to an “engineering society” syndicate.

Additionally, employees with “Engineer” classification on their Iqama are required to personally visit the “Profession Committee” in the Ministry of Commerce with the following documents:
1. Original Iqama
2. Copy of passport
3. Diploma / Supporting official university documents
So as to set a qualification examination date to receive membership to the “Saudi Engineering Society” before having their Iqama renewed.
I'm a "Computer Engineer" according to my Iqama profession. However, my degree is a Bachelor of Comp Science.
Has anyone been through this ordeal already? Any hints?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi - "Engineer" Iqama Profession New Rule

Despite being a Chartered Loss Adjuster by profession (needing six years solid of exam-taking to obtain the requisite qualifications), my Iqama had me down as an "engineer" too, but no idea why. Fortunately, I left the Magic Kingdom over four years ago. Looks like they are trying to catch certain dodgy recruitment companies who (for example) describe ox-drivers as skilled crane operators.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

melb_ksa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Despite being a Chartered Loss Adjuster by profession (needing six years solid of exam-taking to obtain the requisite qualifications), my Iqama had me down as an "engineer" too, but no idea why. Fortunately, I left the Magic Kingdom over four years ago. Looks like they are trying to catch certain dodgy recruitment companies who (for example) describe ox-drivers as skilled crane operators.
I agree. What's really annoying is that I have become an engineer now - without even knowing!
I might ask them to change my profession on the Iqama, but that's probably going to be just as hard ...
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

The rules require companies to apply for block visas with different nationalities and different professions/trades there are millions of possible combinations so you end up having to take whatever profession they have approved to match your nationality.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:06 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
The rules require companies to apply for block visas with different nationalities and different professions/trades there are millions of possible combinations so you end up having to take whatever profession they have approved to match your nationality.
then when you go to the embassy for your iqama the embassy ask you for qualifications to prove you are a heart surgeon even though you are employed as a mechanic or something else... what a system

on the other side I am glad at the professional membership rule as 90% of the people called engineer in KSA would never be accredited as one..i dont mean the mislabelled people ..i mean the ones who are claiming really to be engineers!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes like in some shops the title of an Sales Engineer!!!
Yea right some brain dead Indian sales man who needs a calculator to add up simple Maths.