British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Salary advice - Abu Dhabi job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/salary-advice-abu-dhabi-job-587541/)

Bennett1 Jan 28th 2009 1:55 am

Salary advice - Abu Dhabi job

Hi

I have been searching on this forum with regards to salary and packages offers, plus have read the wikki, but I would like a bit more advice. My OH has been offered a job (in IT sector of large multi national - nothing to do with construction). The package is:
Salary 34,000 AED pcm
Accomodation 190,000 p.a.
Relocation costs 20,000 AED
Medical insurance for all family members (2 adults, 1 baby).
1 return flight for each family member per year to home country.

So any thoughts?

rowell Jan 28th 2009 2:44 am

Re: Salary advice - Abu Dhabi job

Originally Posted by Bennett1 (Post 7220294)
Hi

I have been searching on this forum with regards to salary and packages offers, plus have read the wikki, but I would like a bit more advice. My OH has been offered a job (in IT sector of large multi national - nothing to do with construction). The package is:
Salary 34,000 AED pcm

So any thoughts?

Doesn't seem a bad package in itself, but those from AD will comment further I am in Dubai at the moment.

al dente Jan 28th 2009 3:03 am

Hi

Salary 34,000 AED pcm

So any thoughts?

I believe apartments are about 250k, so be prepared to do some topping up. I would say that it's an OK deal but you will be unlikely to have any savings in the first year as the relocation costs are a lot more than you think. If you live relatively carefully you will be able to save after the first year. WIll they help you with a car loan? Be careful when buying cars as this seems to be where most people come unstuck and spend BIG!

commander Jan 28th 2009 3:03 am

Hi

Salary 34,000 AED pcm

So any thoughts?

seems pretty good.

190,000K just now for accom is on the low side. You will require at least a 2 bed...which are, i beleive well into the 200K mark. A rip off i know but thats the state of affairs here

Bennett1 Jan 28th 2009 3:18 am

Thanks for the quick response. From reading the awful experience of poor Mrs Haps we will be leasing 1 cheap car and seeing how things go.

On another completely separate note - does anyone keep a private horse at the Abu dhabi equestrian centre ??? I have got a cost of 2000 AED per month (I have horse at moment and that is cheaper than I pay in Oz - that's one for Mantronic!!! horse ownership cheaper in Abu Dhabi than Sydney!!!). Anyone know the cost of buying a horse or cost of flying a horse out to Abu Dhabi (trying to persuade OH to take mine if we go).

admon Jan 28th 2009 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Bennett1 (Post 7220461)
Thanks for the quick response. From reading the awful experience of poor Mrs Haps we will be leasing 1 cheap car and seeing how things go.

On another completely separate note - does anyone keep a private horse at the Abu dhabi equestrian centre ??? I have got a cost of 2000 AED per month (I have horse at moment and that is cheaper than I pay in Oz - that's one for Mantronic!!! horse ownership cheaper in Abu Dhabi than Sydney!!!). Anyone know the cost of buying a horse or cost of flying a horse out to Abu Dhabi (trying to persuade OH to take mine if we go).

I would imagine that flying a horse from Oz to Abu Dhabi would cost more than the GDP of Umm Al Quwain (about 800,000dhs)

Blue Cat Jan 28th 2009 3:55 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7220478)
I would imagine that flying a horse from Oz to Abu Dhabi would cost more than the GDP of Umm Al Quwain (about 800,000dhs)

:eek:

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Bennett1 (Post 7220461)
Thanks for the quick response. From reading the awful experience of poor Mrs Haps we will be leasing 1 cheap car and seeing how things go

Best thing to do.

IMHO I would not fly a horse over here, or would i keep a horse at the equestrian center.

Bennett1 Jan 28th 2009 4:45 am

is the Equestrian Centre a real dive?

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Bennett1 (Post 7220594)
is the Equestrian Centre a real dive?

um i wouldn't say dive, but i wouldn't compare to livery in Eire or UK, thats just my opinion.

Are you not coming over to check out AD before you accept the job?

Bennett1 Jan 28th 2009 5:00 am

Husband is but I wasn't planning to. We're in Aus (Sydney) and the livery over here isn't great compared to UK - tiny sand paddocks, no grass, horses all fed hay and hard feed. So horse used to heat and no nice grassy paddocks. Just had a quote for the flight 30,000 AED.

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Bennett1 (Post 7220623)
Husband is but I wasn't planning to. We're in Aus (Sydney) and the livery over here isn't great compared to UK - tiny sand paddocks, no grass, horses all fed hay and hard feed. So horse used to heat and no nice grassy paddocks. Just had a quote for the flight 30,000 AED.

So from what u have said then the equestrian will be ok for you.

I wouldn't spend that amount of money flying it over here, what if you hate it here, job doesn't work out, etc etc.

Keep your expenses to the minimum in case shit happens.

Blue Cat Jan 28th 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7220633)
So from what u have said then the equestrian will be ok for you.

I wouldn't spend that amount of money flying it over here, what if you hate it here, job doesn't work out, etc etc.

Keep your expenses to the minimum in case shit happens.

good advise, horses come up for sale every so often, see how things pan out.

al dente Jan 28th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Bennett1 (Post 7220623)

We moved here from Sydney (no horse though). If i were you i'd wait until you found somewhere to live and settled in before you spent that kind of money on your horse. You cannot budget for everything in the move as there are always things that surprise you - e.g. grass, light fittings etc

Grace O Malley Jan 28th 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 7221135)
We moved here from Sydney (no horse though). If i were you i'd wait until you found somewhere to live and settled in before you spent that kind of money on your horse. You cannot budget for everything in the move as there are always things that surprise you - e.g. grass, light fittings etc

lol grass???