Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Railway Jobs in Saudi Arabia

Railway Jobs in Saudi Arabia

Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Railway Jobs in Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by Popebanku
Thanks for that. I checked their website but no info on pay. Will probably email to enquire about it. Any clue as to what freight drivers earn in UAE?
Dunno but will be at Etihad Rail in Marfa next week so will ask if I get the chance. Last I heard, the blokes were still on UK contracts with DB Schenker. I would call/email Toton shed, they should be able to tell you.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Popebanku is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Standanista! You're a legend!! I'll await any info you get when you return from your trip. Will also take your advice and contact Toton shed.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popebanku
Thanks Standanista! You're a legend!! I'll await any info you get when you return from your trip. Will also take your advice and contact Toton shed.
Good stuff mate, I'll try and grab a couple of drivers next week, see what the story is. I should think the money for ex-UK drivers would be similar ballpark but tax free. If they start to recruit from India etc that could well drop, but there would still be slots for Driver-Trainers etc on better £££. Was the job advertised or word of mouth?
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Popebanku is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Standanista
Good stuff mate, I'll try and grab a couple of drivers next week, see what the story is. I should think the money for ex-UK drivers would be similar ballpark but tax free. If they start to recruit from India etc that could well drop, but there would still be slots for Driver-Trainers etc on better £££. Was the job advertised or word of mouth?
Thanks man! The job is on the DB website. Considering coming out there so I can get experience in other countries. Will look good on my cv
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

thebhoys01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys/girls though I haven't saw any female posts.
I have a proposed offer through Etihad Rail for a train drivers position. The offer is in the region of 37,000AED per month which is made up of 60% basic salary 32% accommodation allowance and 8% expenses allowance. On working days accommodation and food are provided free of charge at the depot in Mirfa. I have decided against bringing my family out and therefore would be on my own. How does this salary stand up there in todays market or should I be looking at more. I can also say that provided I have worked out the currency rate properly the base salary is less per annum than I get in the UK although it is tax free. Any one have any advice on this for me.

thanks in advance
Old Dec 4th 2015, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

I visited Etihad Rail DB a few weeks back and was very impressed. They've got a really good setup and I think it would be a decent place to work. The joint venture is 51% Emirati owned and 49% German, so a good combination of plenty of money put into it plus Teutonic efficiency. The management team seemed to be largely British and German with Emirati top brass. The EMD locos are beasts, 4500hp, plus there's the usual collection of yellow machines including some top-spec tamping kit and a sand plough. They run 1.8km, 110-wagon consists with three locos on the front and ERTMS level 2 train control. 100% of the traffic on this phase of the project is sulphur, which is a by-product of gas extraction, and the operation is pretty much merry-go-round except for a bit of shunting back at depot. Money-wise, nobody would give me a figure on driver salaries, unfortunately, but I wouldn't personally come for anything other than a decent premium on what you're making now, all costs considered; it's a nice railway but ultimately you're stuck right out in the desert and the maths needs to work to make up for the hardship.

The current accommodation is out at a camp in Ruwais, near the Saudi border, where there's more to do than in Mirfa/Marfa itself (well, Ruwais has got a shopping mall and a few extra palm trees and black hosepipes), but they're building permanent accommodation in Mirfa township near the depot.

I would check up on the exact accommodation arrangements because days off can get pricey. There's a single hotel in Mirfa on the seafront which is good quality (officially a 3-star but good for that, the rooms are massive) and has a bar and restaurant, but it's not cheap, and there's nothing to do around town beyond a supermarket, a few other shops/hair salons and going fishing. Some of the ERDB fellas I talked to head into Abu Dhabi on their days off. Dubai can be a long drive just for the weekend if you hit traffic. Doha is 4 hours by car from Mirfa (less from Ruwais), but you'd need permission to get through Saudi and I don't know how that works.

Good luck, would be interested to hear how you get on.

Last edited by Standanista; Dec 4th 2015 at 6:07 am.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Standanista
I visited Etihad Rail DB a few weeks back and was very impressed. They've got a really good setup and I think it would be a decent place to work. The joint venture is 51% Emirati owned and 49% German, so a good combination of plenty of money put into it plus Teutonic efficiency. The management team seemed to be largely British and German with Emirati top brass. The EMD locos are beasts, 4500hp, plus there's the usual collection of yellow machines including some top-spec tamping kit and a sand plough. They run 1.8km, 110-wagon consists with three locos on the front and ERTMS level 2 train control. 100% of the traffic on this phase of the project is sulphur, which is a by-product of gas extraction, and the operation is pretty much merry-go-round except for a bit of shunting back at depot. Money-wise, nobody would give me a figure on driver salaries, unfortunately, but I wouldn't personally come for anything other than a decent premium on what you're making now, all costs considered; it's a nice railway but ultimately you're stuck right out in the desert and the maths needs to work to make up for the hardship. The current accommodation is out at a camp in Ruwais, near the Saudi border, where there's more to do than in Mirfa/Marfa itself (well, Ruwais has got a shopping mall and a few extra palm trees and black hosepipes), but they're building permanent accommodation in Mirfa township near the depot. I would check up on the exact accommodation arrangements because days off can get pricey. There's a single hotel in Mirfa on the seafront which is good quality (officially a 3-star but good for that, the rooms are massive) and has a bar and restaurant, but it's not cheap, and there's nothing to do around town beyond a supermarket, a few other shops/hair salons and going fishing. Some of the ERDB fellas I talked to head into Abu Dhabi on their days off. Dubai can be a long drive just for the weekend if you hit traffic. Doha is 4 hours by car from Mirfa (less from Ruwais), but you'd need permission to get through Saudi and I don't know how that works. Good luck, would be interested to hear how you get on.
Rob, very informative post for people who are considering the move to ERDB, many thanks!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebhoys01
Hi guys/girls though I haven't saw any female posts.
I have a proposed offer through Etihad Rail for a train drivers position. The offer is in the region of 37,000AED per month which is made up of 60% basic salary 32% accommodation allowance and 8% expenses allowance. On working days accommodation and food are provided free of charge at the depot in Mirfa. I have decided against bringing my family out and therefore would be on my own. How does this salary stand up there in todays market or should I be looking at more. I can also say that provided I have worked out the currency rate properly the base salary is less per annum than I get in the UK although it is tax free. Any one have any advice on this for me.

thanks in advance
Just re-reading thebhoys01's post, if the base is less but the overall package more, plus you have 5/7ths food and accommodation paid, plus it's tax free, plus there's the end of service gratuity, and no booze to spend your money on while on shift, that looks an okay deal to me. That's a £6,666 salary. You could send home £5k a month.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

No worries Tahir.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 11:37 am
Just Joined

thebhoys01 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you think of the package Ive been offered Sandanista, is that livable with money to save or just enough to get by
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebhoys01
What do you think of the package Ive been offered Sandanista, is that livable with money to save or just enough to get by
Yeah mate you'll save a packet on that, single status, stuck in the back end of beyond 5 days a week with accom/food paid. £6.7 grand a month, you need to find hotel/beer/food/fun money 2 days a week, I reckon you could save minimum £4k a month, likely more.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:47 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Not KSA but sooner rather than later......
Etihad Rail cuts 30% of workforce in restructuring initiative | The National
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yea, just picked up this post on LinkedIn
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Now Doha Report: Qatar to curb new construction spending by 24 percent this year - Doha News
Old Jan 18th 2016, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Salary expectation for testing and commissioning engineer (rolling stock) in KSA

Fellow Forum members, I am to formulate my response for salary expectation for yet another role in KSA and I am confused, again! A multinational firm is looking to place rail engineers in Riyadh Metro project.I have been asked to quote either an all inclusive figure per month or a broken down offer i.e. accommodation allowance, relocation etc. I need practical numbers to quote in order for this to progress. I have an idea of base salary which I will be happy with (around 75K which is 20K or so more than current salary). I am struggling to put a value for accommodation, relocation and any other allowance that you experienced folks think should be added to this. I have been asked that they prefer if I quoted a single figure (all inclusive) offer but have given me the option to break down. Your advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.