Quantity Surveyor - Qatar

Old Aug 26th 2015, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

olispence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quantity Surveyor - Qatar

Hi,

First post here so play nice

I have an offer on its way over to me that I am considering for a QS role in Doha. The offer comprises;
  • Basic Salary - 17,500QAR PM
  • Accommodation Allowance - 12,500QAR PM (Hotel for first two months)
  • Company car
  • 2 x Return flights home per year
  • Medical Insurance

I am 25 and will be going out on my own so don't have anyone to be caring for other than myself. How does this look to you? I feel the basic is a bit low but would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:56 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quantity Surveyor - Qatar

Assuming the accommodation allowance will fully pay for somewhere adequate to live, you'd have to be earning around £46k in UK to get that take-home, plus whatever your rent / mortgage / living-with-Mum-and-Dad costs you. I'm guessing at 25 you won't have 3 grand in your pocket each month after car, fuel and accommodation costs. So that probably leaves you in a positive position regarding savings.

On the down side you'll spend more in Qatar having fun than you would in UK, and--more importantly--your career is unlikely to advance as quickly. Having said that, my first job abroad was at the same age, and I never looked back (I was a QS, too).

If you're not giving up a job with great prospects in the UK, then go for it subject to the above provisos.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply mate. I certainly don't have 3k a month take home at the moment. I was more concerned with the basic uplift in salary, not considering tax savings, is only around £3.5k PA. I would actually be working for a company that is 49% owned by the business that I'm working for at the moment so I suppose I've got the safety net of coming back to my UK position if it's not all its cracked up to be. Having said that there seems to be a bit of a fast track up the business once you have worked for the international side of the business.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 4:03 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olispence
Thanks for your reply mate. I certainly don't have 3k a month take home at the moment. I was more concerned with the basic uplift in salary, not considering tax savings, is only around £3.5k PA. I would actually be working for a company that is 49% owned by the business that I'm working for at the moment so I suppose I've got the safety net of coming back to my UK position if it's not all its cracked up to be. Having said that there seems to be a bit of a fast track up the business once you have worked for the international side of the business.
Of course you'll have to comply with the tightening noose that is HMRC's regulations regarding non-resident status in order to permanently pocket your dosh tax free. The safety net sounds good, although generally overseas work boosts your further overseas work prospects but can work negatively in terms of your UK prospects; there are always exceptions, and if the overseas arm of your current employer provides mentoring, guidance and a good professional environment in Qatar, then the deal sounds good at the tender age of 25.

£3.5k increase isn't much, but your employer will be savvy enough to know that it probably represents a hefty increase in take-home / saveable / blowable income, but you'll have to do your very best to ensure that you comply with the aforementioned HMRC requirements--breach those and you'll end up having worked in Qatar for probably a net reduction in saveable income (factoring in the increased COL)...
Old Aug 27th 2015, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the lifestyle you adopt when out there.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

25 year old.
40k QAR a month.
Single Status.

You'd be ****ing mental to say no. Especially if it's a sort of transfer?

What kind of company? Contractor? Assuming so. (This now goes real time as I'm thinking)....**** ME I'M GOOD.

I guessed you worked for the traditional big contractor in the UK, they like building prisons and shit, end of the name rhymes with 'perv'.

Quickly worked out your name from your log in name, boom. Correct.

So, bit more information;
They're a decent outfit in Qatar. Try to find out what project you're going to be on. But they operate across Qatar, UAE and Oman at least. All under slightly different names but all with the same UK company as partner. In the UAE they're quite good. I've not got much bad to say about them and they generally look after (financially etc) their guys well.

Co Durham Boy might be able to offer lots more on them as he's in Qatar and I've only met them in Doha once and dealt with the top boy (GF) who appears to know his business well indeed.

In summary. If you don't do it, you're a ****ing idiot.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
25 year old.
40k QAR a month.
Single Status.

You'd be ****ing mental to say no. Especially if it's a sort of transfer?

What kind of company? Contractor? Assuming so. (This now goes real time as I'm thinking)....**** ME I'M GOOD.

I guessed you worked for the traditional big contractor in the UK, they like building prisons and shit, end of the name rhymes with 'perv'.

Quickly worked out your name from your log in name, boom. Correct.

So, bit more information;
They're a decent outfit in Qatar. Try to find out what project you're going to be on. But they operate across Qatar, UAE and Oman at least. All under slightly different names but all with the same UK company as partner. In the UAE they're quite good. I've not got much bad to say about them and they generally look after (financially etc) their guys well.

Co Durham Boy might be able to offer lots more on them as he's in Qatar and I've only met them in Doha once and dealt with the top boy (GF) who appears to know his business well indeed.

In summary. If you don't do it, you're a ****ing idiot.
Very good Mr Scamp, if I need a PI I will be straight on to you!

Your assumptions are all correct and I have accepted the job offer. Will be heading out to Qatar in early October! Excited and nervous at the moment but I suppose that's the same for everyone making a move like this!
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:48 pm
Hit 16's

Very good Mr Scamp, if I need a PI I will be straight on to you!

Your assumptions are all correct and I have accepted the job offer. Will be heading out to Qatar in early October! Excited and nervous at the moment but I suppose that's the same for everyone making a move like this!
Good for you. It certainly has the potential to be rewarding in many ways, and it's largely down to you as to if and to what extent that happens. Go with an open mind, the willingness to learn from others, and the determination to make it a success. Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

MikeRoberts is an unknown quantity at this point

not a bad deal Oli, give it 6 months and you'll be begging to get out.....

But, the good news is that by this time you'll have some GCC experience and after 6-12 months I'm sure a UAE firm will grab you then.

They'll probably offer the same or possibly a little less but the lifestyle over here is MUCH better than Doha!

Good luck mate
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

IrishManc is an unknown quantity at this point

Oli,

Your package is actually quite good for your age and experience.

I am also a QS who has been here since February. I am over here on my own sharing a villa with work colleagues and my package is slightly higher however I go out most weekends, got a loan for a car which I pay monthly and don't really look at cost for food shopping and eating out yet still manage to save half of my earnings every month so your package is plenty to survive on.

Dubai was my original choice however the job offers I received was for nearly half the package that was offered here in Doha, hence why I'm here. However, nearly 8 months in and I have no complaints so far.
Come with open eyes and a willingness to get off your a**e to do things and search things out and you will be sound. Its actually a decent place, and if you want to go mad for a weekend, Dubai is only an hours flight and quite cheap, which I do every few months.

Good luck with the move!!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

But think on what you will do afterwards. What is your exit plan ? Why are you going ? To earn lots and spend it all ? Or to save for something ?
Old Sep 20th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

First post here so play nice

I have an offer on its way over to me that I am considering for a QS role in Doha. The offer comprises;
  • Basic Salary - 17,500QAR PM
  • Accommodation Allowance - 12,500QAR PM (Hotel for first two months)
  • Company car
  • 2 x Return flights home per year
  • Medical Insurance

I am 25 and will be going out on my own so don't have anyone to be caring for other than myself. How does this look to you? I feel the basic is a bit low but would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
Great deal , snap their hands off fella . Good deal to cut your teeth overseas.