Qatar Salary Package

Old Oct 25th 2010, 3:15 am
Just Joined

aussie82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar Salary Package

Hi, I just found out about this forum today. I have a few questions, if someone can kindly help me.

I am an Australian citizen, residing in Brisbane currently, with Civil Engineering degree and 4 years experience. I have been offered a job in Doha, Qatar as Transport Engineer with a total salary package of QAR 24,000 per month. The company will pay one-time relocation costs of QAR 20,000 on top, and will pay basic medical cover for me and my wife during our time in Doha. The total salary package of QAR 24,000 per month is all the company will pay, and I have to budget my costs within it.

My wife is currently pregnant and we are expecting our 1st kid in 6 months time. As an Australian expat (i.e. not getting any special health benefits that Qatari locals may enjoy), how much money should I budget for if we want to have the delivery in Qatar, whether we opt for government or private hospitals? How are medical facilities in Doha?

I am wondering if someone can help me about the salary package too? Is it a good deal? Will I be able to afford a 2 bedroom fully-furnished apartment in Doha for around QAR 10,000 per month? How much are food costs, if we eat at home most of the time and seldom eat out? How much cost is required in running a car in Doha (petrol, insurance, general maintenance) if I buy a decent 2nd hand car? How much is electricity, gas, water and other utilities? Also, I need to know about phone, mobile and internet, in terms of costs?

If I live with medium standards, will I be able to save around QAR 8,000 per month or more?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I and my wife are both confused since its a huge move leaving Australia and settling in the Middle-East; but then we are really excited too

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of
Default Re: Qatar Salary Package

Originally Posted by aussie82
I am an Australian citizen, residing in Brisbane...as Transport Engineer...

My wife is currently pregnant and we are expecting our 1st kid in 6 months time. As an Australian expat...how much money should I budget for if we want to have the delivery in Qatar...How are medical facilities in Doha?
Dont do it...Just don't do it.

Medical facilities in the ME are borderline third world. Locals travel to Europe or Singapore for medical treatment.

Ok...I'm waiting for the squealing to begin...but just put yourself in the position, that there is the slightest complication...you moved to the ME, to Qatar, and put your child in the hands of a doctor who wont speak your language, will likely have 'interesting' qualifications and is in Qatar to make just to make money...

You will be seen by a doctor from the Middle East, India or Pakistan. Now, I'm not saying that they are all substandard - by my couple experiences at Al Noor and Shiek Khalifa Medical City...well...how much money is it worth to you?

BTW...you are probably working in one of the best cities in the world currently for Transport Engineering opportunities, and if you have four years experience, you are are not going to get much in the way of critical development and mentoring that you need at this stage of your career right now. (Unless you happen to be working for a large English consultancy that has several senior associates who are also co-located in the Doha office).
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment on Qatar healthcare but I have to say I have been very happy with the healthcare we have had in Dubai
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ehhhh.....

If you were single, sure, do it.

But that is not a lot of money to support a wife and a newborn kiddie. 10K a month out of 24K for your flat? Never live in a place where you have to spend more than 25% of your income on rent.

At the end of the day you could live quite decently in Doha on that income but I'd be surprised if you banked more than 10-15% of it.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Dont do it...Just don't do it.

Medical facilities in the ME are borderline third world. Locals travel to Europe or Singapore for medical treatment.

Ok...I'm waiting for the squealing to begin...but just put yourself in the position, that there is the slightest complication...you moved to the ME, to Qatar, and put your child in the hands of a doctor who wont speak your language, will likely have 'interesting' qualifications and is in Qatar to make just to make money...

You will be seen by a doctor from the Middle East, India or Pakistan. Now, I'm not saying that they are all substandard - by my couple experiences at Al Noor and Shiek Khalifa Medical City...well...how much money is it worth to you?

BTW...you are probably working in one of the best cities in the world currently for Transport Engineering opportunities, and if you have four years experience, you are are not going to get much in the way of critical development and mentoring that you need at this stage of your career right now. (Unless you happen to be working for a large English consultancy that has several senior associates who are also co-located in the Doha office).
My previous Brit boss's wife gave birth to both their children here in Abu Dhabi and were entirely happy with the experience. I'm sure they also consulted other couples here before making the decision, and felt comfortable with doing it a second time. Anectdotal maybe...
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

xpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nice

Well, I just left Qatar 1 month ago with two kids. I hope some of these info can give an idea cost of living there.

2 bedroom apt furnished: 9K - 12K
(If you want to live in a community with swimming pool and family oriented, nothing below 10K. By the way, rent in Qatar is in high demand now since people are moving there from UAE a lot so don't expect to have many choices)

Medical expenses are quite high unless your medical insurance covers everything especially your wife is expecting a baby. These medical professionals including dentists think we expat make a lot of money and they can blantly charge anything they want. Doctor visit (300), normal blood test (500 - 800), not sure about hospical charge per diem. Definitely stay away from government hospital, your wife might take a plane home the next day. Filthy dirty!

Food in Qatar is a bit higher than usual but it all depends on you. If you eat at home more often, it's not that big chunk out of your salary. Mine is about 2,500 a month for family of 4 including gas and mobile.

Car rental is about 1800 for the most basic vehicle (Chevy Aveo). I wouldn't buy a car yet until you know for sure you stay there. On the good side, gas is very cheap in Qatar. It's about 25 cent USD per gallon.

Most furnished apt includes free landline telephone. However, you can't call to mobile number. Utilities in Qatar are not too bad either, around 200-300 per month. However, the internet is quite expensive, about 500.

So do your number and see if it's worth it. Good Luck!

You can also find serviced apt that including everything (rent, utilities, internet) for about 12K. However, the facilities such as gym and pool are very limited.

Check out this website: www.qatarliving.com

One more thing, be sure you are happy with your salary. You cannot change employer before 1 year. After one year, you still can't work for someone else unless your company agrees to. Keep that in mind before you commit working there.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

You should really get them to pay for your housing and for your medical bills.
With that covered, you are doing ok.
I know quite a few people that have given birth here in Qatar. They went to Al ahli hospital, and they were happy with the experience. They did not have any complications though. Now, health care in general is not very good here...you have to try and find a doctor you like...not an easy task.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My previous Brit boss's wife gave birth to both their children here in Abu Dhabi and were entirely happy with the experience. I'm sure they also consulted other couples here before making the decision, and felt comfortable with doing it a second time. Anectdotal maybe...
Agreed - its not all doom and gloom, one of my employees had a child while we were in AD, and had no issues. Things were not complicated, and I believe the Corniche hospital is referred to as the baby factory...as long as things run to plan.

However, we had a fair few issues with our youngest, who we ended up having to send back to Aus to get treatment for a reflux issue, which was persistently mis-diagnosed - and dont get me started about the ENT at Al Noor.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - its not all doom and gloom, one of my employees had a child while we were in AD, and had no issues. Things were not complicated, and I believe the Corniche hospital is referred to as the baby factory...as long as things run to plan.

However, we had a fair few issues with our youngest, who we ended up having to send back to Aus to get treatment for a reflux issue, which was persistently mis-diagnosed - and dont get me started about the ENT at Al Noor.
The Corniche hospital has excellent facilities and it's where the private hospitals send you to if you have any problems. I know of a few people who had very premature babies and the Corniche hospital care was brilliant. However this hospital is in Abu Dhabi and not Qatar so doesn't help the OP - sorry I can't comment in Qatar as we only lived there for about a year in the aerly 90s so things will have changed (for the better!).

Last edited by soukie; Oct 27th 2010 at 3:00 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:29 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I just found out about this forum today. I have a few questions, if someone can kindly help me.

I am an Australian citizen, residing in Brisbane currently, with Civil Engineering degree and 4 years experience. I have been offered a job in Doha, Qatar as Transport Engineer with a total salary package of QAR 24,000 per month. The company will pay one-time relocation costs of QAR 20,000 on top, and will pay basic medical cover for me and my wife during our time in Doha. The total salary package of QAR 24,000 per month is all the company will pay, and I have to budget my costs within it.

My wife is currently pregnant and we are expecting our 1st kid in 6 months time. As an Australian expat (i.e. not getting any special health benefits that Qatari locals may enjoy), how much money should I budget for if we want to have the delivery in Qatar, whether we opt for government or private hospitals? How are medical facilities in Doha?

I am wondering if someone can help me about the salary package too? Is it a good deal? Will I be able to afford a 2 bedroom fully-furnished apartment in Doha for around QAR 10,000 per month? How much are food costs, if we eat at home most of the time and seldom eat out? How much cost is required in running a car in Doha (petrol, insurance, general maintenance) if I buy a decent 2nd hand car? How much is electricity, gas, water and other utilities? Also, I need to know about phone, mobile and internet, in terms of costs?

If I live with medium standards, will I be able to save around QAR 8,000 per month or more?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I and my wife are both confused since its a huge move leaving Australia and settling in the Middle-East; but then we are really excited too

Cheers
Dont do it.. Doha is a hell hole, AD, Dubai not much better. If you can, stay put.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
24,000 total package is not enough i'm afraid , you want to be looking at 24,000 Basic , then your add ons on top of that.especially if you are degree qualified.

Don't put yourself under pressure as you only come here for money and money only , the burdens less in the U.A.E but this ain't no holiday resort . Make sure your deals right.

I wouldn't look at any deal in the construction industry here in the Gulf if it didn't cover all my basics , housing , car , fights , medical , bonus , etc either by allowance or total gross cost.

Good luck
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Hello, I believe some of the costs are a little unrealistic. In my humble opinion is -
Two bed apartment at Beverley Hills Al Rayan 9000 PCM ff.
Food 1600 PCM
Utilities 400 PCM
Car rental 2000 pcm.
Internet and phone 350 pcm
Mobiles x2 @ 100 each PCM
Going out 1000 PCM
Petty expenses 2400 PCM
Total 17000 pcm
Just to show you we are living in a brand new 5 bedroom villa on a compound with facilities such as pool and gym for 10000 pcm with 12 cheques but unfurnished.

Government health care is ok and we use it regularly and as good as the care we received in Australia when living there.
In UK we are used to Asian doctors as they are in the majority in the NHS and it's a bit racist for people to suggest that they are worse doctors. They do have a different bedside manner though.
Pm if you need more info as I work in a large consultancy.

Doha is not a shit hole as some would have you believe on this forum but it can be limiting at times.
We have a young family and it is a good place for families.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nogoingback
In UK we are used to Asian doctors as they are in the majority in the NHS and it's a bit racist for people to suggest that they are worse doctors. They do have a different bedside manner though.
There we go...the race card...had to wait a while, but sure enough.

Why cant I point out the simple fact that the doctors are likely to be Arab or Indian, and have english as a second language or different standards of education? Why is that racist?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

There we go...the race card...had to wait a while, but sure enough.

Why cant I point out the simple fact that the doctors are likely to be Arab or Indian, and have english as a second language or different standards of education? Why is that racist?
that isn't racist it's the truth, maybe you should have said the Doctors here appear not to have qualified in a reputable country known for good health care
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Was Harrold Shipman a good British White doctor? Come on it is racist to not think some one may not be good at their job because of where they received their qualifications.
I don't think you should ever consent to be seen by a doctor who is colored or did not train in the West do you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.