Qatar IT contractor

Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Roosta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar IT contractor

Hi All

I just this very minute joined this forum so have not trawled through any previous posts yet... Hoping to do so in the coming days.

I wanted to ask if anyone here is currently working as an IT contractor in Doha. In the UK my daily rate is 425GBP... I have around 18 years experience in the Enterprise area.

I was wondering on average what a good daily rate would be in Qatar for those that are currently there... And the kind of top end rate one could expect.

My current offer is coming in at just under 500GBP a day... XE tells me this equates to around 2800QAR a day. This is an all inclusive rate... Only thing included are the flight in and flight out.

Thoughts please?

Roosta
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Qatar IT contractor

Oops... Sorry. I guys that was the first newbie jump straight in mistake!

Apologies and thank you for putting me in the tight forum
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:51 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roosta
Hi All

I just this very minute joined this forum so have not trawled through any previous posts yet... Hoping to do so in the coming days.

I wanted to ask if anyone here is currently working as an IT contractor in Doha. In the UK my daily rate is 425GBP... I have around 18 years experience in the Enterprise area.

I was wondering on average what a good daily rate would be in Qatar for those that are currently there... And the kind of top end rate one could expect.

My current offer is coming in at just under 500GBP a day... XE tells me this equates to around 2800QAR a day. This is an all inclusive rate... Only thing included are the flight in and flight out.

Thoughts please?

Roosta
I'm not aware of any contract work in Qatar that comes near to UK rates. Most IT departments are staffed by Indians/Pakistanis on relatively low wages.

To get a decent package you need to look for IT management roles or working for one of the big vendors.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Northernlad,

Thanks for the response... very much appreciated.

I'm not in IT management yet, but maybe this could be a good step to getting there!

From your response...i'm assuming then that the offer I have is probably as good as its going to get?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Northernlad,

Thanks for the response... very much appreciated.

I'm not in IT management yet, but maybe this could be a good step to getting there!

From your response...i'm assuming then that the offer I have is probably as good as its going to get?
It all depends...is it a contract similar to UK (no paid vacation, not paid on weekends) and what is the length?

What field of IT is this for?

£500 a day is a fairly good offer, I'd just be wary about the length of the contract, you'll have setup costs to cover.

Personally I'd only take up a permanent role in this region, it gives you slightly more security and protection if things go pear shaped.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Hi Northernlad,

Thanks again for the response.

In response, yes its similar to UK... no paid vacation... its for 9 months initially.

The work is bordering IT Architecture, but mostly engineering.

I too would prefer a permanent based role, but unfortunately no offers.

Yep... I need to look into setup costs. I'd be happy if I can clear £350-£400/day after costs... I'm not sure how far £150/day will get me... I live a pretty simple life... just need half decent accommodation (inc bills), food, and travel to work and back...
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough I saw some UK agency (Spring??) looking for a Senior PM for a 6 month contract in Bahrain paying GBP 500 per day. First time I have ever heard of that happening here. It would be an okay deal if they pay for the hotel I suppose, but why bother coming out to the Middle East to contract. You can easily get that kind of money contracting in London...
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately no it doesnt pay for the accommodation... which is why I am hoping £100-£150/day (£2000-£3000/month) will be enough for to cover all my costs.

I totally get your point around why bother... but I think it will be a good experience for a year, it'll make a nice change to get out of London for a little while.

Am I living in dreamland thinking £3000/month will be enough to cover my living cost?

Thanks for the response Norsk and keeping my thread alive.

Roo
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately no it doesnt pay for the accommodation... which is why I am hoping £100-£150/day (£2000-£3000/month) will be enough for to cover all my costs.

I totally get your point around why bother... but I think it will be a good experience for a year, it'll make a nice change to get out of London for a little while.

Am I living in dreamland thinking £3000/month will be enough to cover my living cost?

Thanks for the response Norsk and keeping my thread alive.

Roo
In Bahrain that would be simple and you would have money left at the end. In Qatar I have no idea, but I would have thought it is possible. Do a search online for prices of hotel apartments and rental cars.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Yup... Thats exactly what I;ve been doing...

I guess sometimes its reassuring to hear it from someone thats a few steps ahead
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:57 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that you will be liable for full UK tax and NI on your worldwide earnings until you become UK non-resident, which for you will be 6th April 2016 at the very earliest. But this can be backdated to the day after you left the UK under a split year concession, if you leave the UK to work under a full-time employment and complete a full tax year. Doha can be a tough assignment, and many don't last that length of time here.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Johnnyboy11

Thanks for the advice... Very much appreciated.

Would you mind telling me what you mean by a tough assignment and many not lasting long? Do you mean the contracts don't often get renewed or it's a tough life out there and that most people pack it in and come back?

Thanks again