package worth it?

Old Aug 16th 2015, 11:47 am
Just Joined

UKSmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default package worth it?

Hi All

I am at the final interview stage now for a Senior Network Engineer role with a bank in Abu Dhabi and wanted to know what the general consensus was of the following package

24k AED / Month inclusive of accommodation/travel allowance
Medical cover for me and wife
Flights home for me and wife (once a year)
1 months accommodation upon arrival

The above is for sure, and on top I think they may provide assistance in shipping stuff over etc but waiting on first getting an official offer before I try negotiating a higher salary/further allowances.

As its just me and my wife, no kids. Would this be enough to live a reasonable lifestyle? My wife also has a PGCE so potentially will be working also...
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: package worth it?

If you RTFF similar questions have been asked and I think you will find that the general consensus is not really enough. Accommodation will likely cost you 10,000 a month (one year upfront), car (2000 a month roughly), electricity, water, fuel (petrol just went up 25%), food and so on.
Oh I see you've already asked in this forum and received the same answer I just gave you. Does not matter how many times you ask the answer will still be it's not enough.

Last edited by mikewot; Aug 16th 2015 at 2:28 pm. Reason: OP already asked this and had answers.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
If you RTFF similar questions have been asked and I think you will find that the general consensus is not really enough. Accommodation will likely cost you 10,000 a month (one year upfront), car (2000 a month roughly), electricity, water, fuel (petrol just went up 25%), food and so on.
Oh I see you've already asked in this forum and received the same answer I just gave you. Does not matter how many times you ask the answer will still be it's not enough.
Thank you for the helpful response mikewot (!)

The reason for asking the second time is because I'm getting different responses on different forums to the same questions but its a matter if opinion on how much one needs to live.

Of course the Internet is full of all sorts so not your fault.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKSmurf
Of course the Internet is full of all sorts so not your fault.
??? Confused.com. As others in this forum, who actually live here, will tell you and have told you it is not sufficient for a couple. You will not be living the feather bed, gold plated, luxury Western Expat lifestyle some may assume. Your package is more like a junior network engineer or perhaps a senior from the Indian sub continent.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

My point is others on other forums have told me that it is enough so its a difference of opinion.

Not everyone expects "the feather bed, gold plated, luxury Western Expat lifestyle " and us mere mortals are happy with the kind of lifestyle we have in the UK but with better weather
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

My point is others on other forums have told me that it is enough so its a difference of opinion.
So why bother to repeat your question on this site?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Give other people an opportunity as its now becoming a reality whereas previously it was hypothetical.

Believe it or not the purpose is to get the opinion of more than one person
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Give other people an opportunity as its now becoming a reality whereas previously it was hypothetical.
Silly me! Yes of course now it's changed from possible to probable that makes all the difference! We were just winding you up before about the offer, trying to keep it secret how this really is the land of milk n honey because we don't want just any old plonker coming out here diluting our good times and jacking prices up.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Thought as much!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The point you may not have grasped yet is that it cost tonnes of money to maintain a bog standard UK lifestyle in the UAE.

You can live inexpensively but it would not be up to average UK standards.

In Abu Dhabi you'll probably spend at least 80,000 + utilities and internet for a decent and unremarkable 1-bedroom in Al Reef or an older building near the Corniche. That's a third of your package.

Basic car rental is 2K a month.

Groceries are expensive. Anywhere from 500 to 1,000 weekly if you want a standard western diet.

Dinner out at a midrange western restaurant with one drink apiece is probably 300-350 AED.

If your wife finds a job that pays decently enough you can live in some comfort. But don't pretend that 24K a month for the two of you is going to be anything more than a very basic and simple lifestyle.

Not everyone expects "the feather bed, gold plated, luxury Western Expat lifestyle " and us mere mortals are happy with the kind of lifestyle we have in the UK but with better weather

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Aug 16th 2015 at 5:20 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The point you may not have grasped yet is that it cost tonnes of money to maintain a bog standard UK lifestyle in the UAE.

You can live inexpensively but it would not be up to average UK standards.

In Abu Dhabi you'll probably spend at least 80,000 + utilities and internet for a decent and unremarkable 1-bedroom in Al Reef or an older building near the Corniche. That's a third of your package.

Basic car rental is 2K a month.

Groceries are expensive. Anywhere from 500 to 1,000 weekly if you want a standard western diet.

Dinner out at a midrange western restaurant with one drink apiece is probably 300-350 AED.

If your wife finds a job that pays decently enough you can live in some comfort. But don't pretend that 24K a month for the two of you is going to be anything more than a very basic and simple lifestyle.

Short answer....
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:31 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

dejavu!

"24k wont cut it for a couple mate
and whatever costs you are looking at for living in the UAE, rent, groceries, electricity etc, wait till the 1st of August and I am sure everything will go up...how much I am not sure but fuel prices will almost be doubled so inflation is DEFINITELY coming!
prices going up and salaries / business not increasing...bleak future!
you are good where you are mate, trust me
if you were single then maybe it would have been fun for you but without any savings
by the way in AD you have to pay upfront rent for the whole year so thats money out of your pocket which you havent earned yet, and if you decide to foxtrot oscar out of there within that year then you dont get anything back, just fyi "
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Ok so how much would you reckon is required for a not basic and simple lifestyle? Not a flash one either. 24 + Accommodation?

Last edited by UKSmurf; Aug 17th 2015 at 9:05 am.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:12 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

for a bachelor
if rent (in a decent area), utilities, car and medical is paid by the company then I reckon 30k should be a good starter for a mid level job
if you have a wife to support then notch up another 10k, but as you said she can work as well (IF she finds a job that is, job scene is bad I have heard) so whatever she brings in would be a bonus
see I dont believe in living hand to mouth, you need to be able to save every month as well, otherwise whats the use of doing it all, might as well take up a job in 'wherethefvkami', Alaska and just live with the essentials only
but having said all that, every situation is different and every couple out there have a different approach to life (listen to me, I sound like my old man ffs!) so you do whats right by you mate, I can guarantee you this much that if you guys do decide to move, it will definitely be an experience, good or bad now that is up to you, we are just giving you advice based on our experiences that if you want it to be a good experience then u will need more money. One more factor that I feel I should add here, living in the middle east, it is a sort of a cab meter that one acquires (experience wise) and that meter starts AFTER you have spent 2 years here (I only have spent 3 here so Im technically a noob) so if you manage to duke it out for more than 2 years here and then apply for another job here, you will most probably be given a better package based on those 2 years and then so on and so forth ofcourse.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Just to back up the sage advice above: my mate is on 25k and is here in Dubai with his wife and daughter. They scrape by with all three sharing a bedroom, in a 2-bedder flat with another couple, in a cheap area (Al Nahda), with his wife doing part-time work, a basic second-hand car and rarely going out eating/drinking, and they find money very tight. Granted, they also have a kid to support, but they're not trying to replicate some lavish back-home-UK-standard lifestyle either (they're Filipinos). Anyway, 24k is nowhere near enough for a couple, IMHO.

Last edited by Standanista; Aug 18th 2015 at 8:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.