British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   nursing in middle east (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/nursing-middle-east-595093/)

littlesam Mar 3rd 2009 12:25 am

nursing in middle east

Hi.
I am an aussie RN looking to possibly nurse in the middle east, but don't seem to be able to find very much information on the web about pay rates etc. The agencies I have spoken to seem to be very evasive on this issue, which prompts me to wonder???
Anyone recently worked over there nursing and can shed some light?

shellie30 Mar 3rd 2009 12:49 am

Re: nursing in middle east

Originally Posted by littlesam (Post 7339278)
Hi.
I am an aussie RN looking to possibly nurse in the middle east, but don't seem to be able to find very much information on the web about pay rates etc. The agencies I have spoken to seem to be very evasive on this issue, which prompts me to wonder???
Anyone recently worked over there nursing and can shed some light?

Hi littlesam,

Which part of the middle east are you looking at? I have recently spent a year working in saudi as a nurse. The money is better in saudi then the UAE but you have more freedom in the UAE. Are you looking at any hospital in particular?

littlesam Mar 3rd 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by shellie30 (Post 7339326)
Hi littlesam,

Which part of the middle east are you looking at? I have recently spent a year working in saudi as a nurse. The money is better in saudi then the UAE but you have more freedom in the UAE. Are you looking at any hospital in particular?

Hi Shellie,
Thanks so much for your reply. Not looking at anywhere in particular - just where there is good money and nice lifestyle. Will be taking my family with me - husband and 11 year old son, so need to factor that into the equation.
Do you mind telling me what kind of money you were getting in Saudi? Don't seem to be able to find that info anywhere on the web. Have got a phone interview with a hospital in Qatar coming up, but even the agency that have organised it have been evasive with pay rates. It's like its some kind of secret or something! Makes it hard to try and plan your life and movements, espceially for me as we would be switching from 2 incomes to 1, hence my need to find out whether it would be worth our while.
Any info you can give me would be great!

shellie30 Mar 3rd 2009 1:17 am

Originally Posted by littlesam (Post 7339361)
Hi Shellie,
Thanks so much for your reply. Not looking at anywhere in particular - just where there is good money and nice lifestyle. Will be taking my family with me - husband and 11 year old son, so need to factor that into the equation.
Do you mind telling me what kind of money you were getting in Saudi? Don't seem to be able to find that info anywhere on the web. Have got a phone interview with a hospital in Qatar coming up, but even the agency that have organised it have been evasive with pay rates. It's like its some kind of secret or something! Makes it hard to try and plan your life and movements, espceially for me as we would be switching from 2 incomes to 1, hence my need to find out whether it would be worth our while.
Any info you can give me would be great!

In saudi you are looking around 6,700 aussie dollars a month if you are a speciality nurse, but it varies from hospital to hospital and a little more if you are a manager. Saudi aramco I believe pay the best. Its more difficult to get a job when you're looking to take your husband with you. A lot of hospitals in the middle east prefer single contracts for nurses. I'm not sure what the salary range is like in Qatar, sorry. But if you want to pm me i can give you a little more advice on what to expect from living and working in the middle east.