Made redundant

Old May 12th 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Zela is on a distinguished road
Default Made redundant

My husband just been made redundant, but still have one more month to work. So we was wondering is anyone out there layer or at least have some good advice for us.
Like what we should expect from company etc. At moment they only said they will pay us flight back to UK,but what happens with our staff,who pays for shipping???
We have flat on our name,(Company payed for whole year but we paying back to company) so do we still have to pay for rest,as our flat is rented until end of november.

Any advice is good advice.

Oh yes does anybody knows about tax in UK? If we were here less then year,do we have to pay tax on bringing money to UK?

Thank you so much
Old May 12th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Made redundant

Originally Posted by Zela
My husband just been made redundant, but still have one more month to work. So we was wondering is anyone out there layer or at least have some good advice for us.
Like what we should expect from company etc. At moment they only said they will pay us flight back to UK,but what happens with our staff,who pays for shipping???
We have flat on our name,(Company payed for whole year but we paying back to company) so do we still have to pay for rest,as our flat is rented until end of november.

Oh yes does anybody knows about tax in UK? If we were here less then year,do we have to pay tax on bringing money to UK?

Thank you so much

Your 'staff' - assume you mean stuff - your husband should look in the contract and see what provision there is for termination, this goes as well for any final salary payment he is due - again this will depend on his contract, as if its a fixed term contract and he has fulfilled his probationary period, he is due 3 months salary for them breaking it, if that is the case.

Regarding your apartment, you are going to have to speak to your landlord and either negotiate, or find another tenant for your 'flat' - they call them apartments here its posher. Obviously with rents going down, if you have to find another tenant, you are going to take a hit on the rent.

Regarding tax, yes it is virtually a certainty that you are going to have to pay back UAE earnings as tax deductable in the UK because of your limited time here. Best to speak to HMRC as soon as possible and explain all your circumstances - they are there to help, not just take money (although inevitably you are going to have to hand over some cash).

Other option, is go and get the biggest loans you can, max out some credit cards and skip the country - not forgetting to leave your car (another loan of course) at the airport on the way out.

The last bit was a joke, just in case you were wondering.
Old May 12th 2009, 9:07 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by admon
Other option, is go and get the biggest loans you can, max out some credit cards and skip the country - not forgetting to leave your car (another loan of course) at the airport on the way out.

careful admon, you'll get some nasty replies to that suggestion! you know what some people are like around here with a sense of humour... (or lack of it)

Last edited by still.unsure; May 12th 2009 at 9:12 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
careful admon, you'll get some nasty replies to that suggestion!
tell me something I don't know..
Old May 12th 2009, 10:39 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but what does "layer" mean?
Old May 12th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

I agree. I did this. I borrowed 300 000 dhs on a top up loan AFTER I found out I had lost my job, had my platinum credit cards maxed out with cash withdrawals, bought a car with the cash and smuggled it back to my home country, pissed in Sheikh Khalifa's turkish coffee, left my first car at the airport with a loan on it worth more than the car, stole cash from the companies petty cash box because I was pissed off and took it personally that they sacked me, borrowed money from my closest friends in the UAE after crying to them about my job loss and financial situation and intentionally didn't pay them back yet, got my girlfriend to do the same thing and she should be out of the country within a couple of weeks with her takings.

Lifes good.

Old May 12th 2009, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much
sorry to hear yur bad news
just been through it myself

Yes they will have to pay for your flights back. as for your stuff that will depend on whats in his contract.

as someone else said you will be liable for tax. can you not head somewhere else whilst he finds work. then you can avoid that tax burden
Old May 12th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
I agree. I did this. I borrowed 300 000 dhs on a top up loan AFTER I found out I had lost my job, had my platinum credit cards maxed out with cash withdrawals, bought a car with the cash and smuggled it back to my home country, pissed in Sheikh Khalifa's turkish coffee, left my first car at the airport with a loan on it worth more than the car, stole cash from the companies petty cash box because I was pissed off and took it personally that they sacked me, borrowed money from my closest friends in the UAE after crying to them about my job loss and financial situation and intentionally didn't pay them back yet, got my girlfriend to do the same thing and she should be out of the country within a couple of weeks with her takings.

Lifes good.

you forgot to add:
but now for some inane reason I'm drawn back to an expat Middle East forum where I spout my bitter hard luck story to anyone that will listen..
Old May 12th 2009, 11:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld

Lifes good.

wind up
Old May 12th 2009, 11:28 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

you forgot to add:
but now for some inane reason I'm drawn back to an expat Middle East forum where I spout my bitter hard luck story to anyone that will listen..
and...

"if i continue to do this i will look like the ranting lunatic that mantronic is/was..."

anotherworld, am sure you've got some invaluable advice to impart on how to exit the UAE if in a desperate situation, how about focusing on that instead?
Old May 12th 2009, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Zela is on a distinguished road

Thanks for some answers. Just going throught contract. It may not all be bad.
Yes we have "appartment" to deal with and new car but it can't be that bad.

Its funny to see how some people are nasty and rude,or should i just call them sad. You should never laugh at somebodys bad luck as things can change very quickly. Specialy here. At least we are still happy, not like you, hiding behind and making fun of other peoples luck.

For whoever asked answers is 'lawyer" .

And when comes to Tax we may just go and do that traveling we always dreamed of,instead going back to UK and giving somebody alse our money.

Will decide soon.

But thanks to people who understands and who really give helpful advice.

x
Old May 12th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Well my post here was sarcastic as most of you will probably know.

The rest is segregated to another post.

I'd say the rest of my posts are not necessarily raving lunatic material. Well maybe a tad...

still.unsure, I do focus on my experiences, I just tend to drift a lot.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the flat is in your name but the company paid upfront for the flat, and is deducting a certain amount from each month's salary, then I imagine the company has to absorb the loss.

The landlord has been paid for the year, so you owe him nothing. If the company chose to let you go, you owe the company nothing for housing.

Unless your husband signed a contract that stipulated all advance housing allowance must be repaid upon termination.

For cheap travel: go hang out on a Thai beach for a few months till you can return to the UK.

Thanks for some answers. Just going throught contract. It may not all be bad.
Yes we have "appartment" to deal with and new car but it can't be that bad.

Its funny to see how some people are nasty and rude,or should i just call them sad. You should never laugh at somebodys bad luck as things can change very quickly. Specialy here. At least we are still happy, not like you, hiding behind and making fun of other peoples luck.

For whoever asked answers is 'lawyer" .

And when comes to Tax we may just go and do that traveling we always dreamed of,instead going back to UK and giving somebody alse our money.

Will decide soon.

But thanks to people who understands and who really give helpful advice.

x
Old May 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

I've got no advice to offer, I just hope your luck changes soon. Enjoy your travelling.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

ipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really nice

Can relate to your problems, I was terminated in January after only a few months here.

I can advise the following, check your contract although that doesnt mean too much here. Has your hubby been terminated or has he signed a Voluntary Separation agreement. If so any incentives for VS rather than termination.

Most Companies should pay repatriation depending on whether they brought you to Dubai or not.

In terms of upfront loans for rent. If the company loaned you cash for the rent they will usually deduct it from any redundancy payment. If there is any money left after this good luck. You may end up still owing the Company money. Check the terms of any separation agreement.

The company will also advise the bank when they make the final salary payment, and this usually results in the account being frozen. My advice clear the account prior to final salary particularly if you owe anybody any money.

In terms of tax, if you are UK , you have to out of the Uk for a complete tax year. ie if you arrived between 6th Apr 2008 and 5th Apr 2009 you can not return to the Uk before 5th April 2010 without paying tax.

Ie go somewhere for a holiday for a few months or pay the taxman. That's one of lifes easier decisions

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.