Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Old Apr 19th 2013, 9:55 am
Just Joined

InDubnial is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Millhouse, why not JBR or Marina for us? What's the difference please?

Also, can anyone recommend JLT, they look pretty good value and well located to me?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sandboy
what about dropping and collecting from school ?
I understand most schools do transport (for a fee)?

Maybe a maid if schools are close. We probably couldn't afford to provide a car for her though.

Or my wife could drop (though I doubt pick up unless really close to work).
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:05 am
Just Joined

My wife would join me after six months with the kids. She would arrange work while in the UK.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InDubnial
Millhouse, why not JBR or Marina for us? What's the difference please?

Also, can anyone recommend JLT, they look pretty good value and well located to me?
Marina / JBR - very high rises, tiny apartments, shitty traffic, no grass or decent play areas nearby and expensive. BUT, shops and bars nearby. The beach is further than you think.

JLT - multiple cheaply built, poorly maintained towers in a dusty wasteland. A one way system to screw your brain. No redeeming features other than price.

Greens - loads of grass, tress and outdoor spaces, pools, decent apartments and a Nandos. Near stuff.

MotorCity - Out the way, no traffic, loads of shops and restaurants in walking distance, open spaces and pools. No one will ever visit you as its miles away from anywhere. You will need two cars to live here.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 19th 2013 at 10:38 am.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I understand most schools do transport (for a fee)?

Maybe a maid if schools are close. We probably couldn't afford to provide a car for her though.

Or my wife could drop (though I doubt pick up unless really close to work).
who will look after your kids after school finishes (2.30pm) and before you/ your wife gets home (6.30pm)... face it, you're gonna need a maid.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Guys, the offer looks to have fallen through - we couldn't meet in the middle.

Thanks again to everyone for all your advice - it is isn't wasted, as we'd still love to work and live in Dubai for at least a few years, so I will keep an eye out. But financially it just doesn't stack up under the current offer.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Guys, the offer looks to have fallen through - we couldn't meet in the middle.

Thanks again to everyone for all your advice - it is isn't wasted, as we'd still love to work and live in Dubai for at least a few years, so I will keep an eye out. But financially it just doesn't stack up under the current offer.
It breaks my heart when a recruiter might have just lost a fee...
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 1:24 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp - hunh

you know the worst thing a recruiter said to me to switch me off them?

"but other people in your company have gone to work for XYZ company, and they were happy with the money"

showed me she was desperate - when I had clearly outlined my current salary base & expectations of package based on what current company offers, and said look if company XYZ can't offer that let's not waste each others time....
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Scamp - hunh

you know the worst thing a recruiter said to me to switch me off them?

"but other people in your company have gone to work for XYZ company, and they were happy with the money"

showed me she was desperate - when I had clearly outlined my current salary base & expectations of package based on what current company offers, and said look if company XYZ can't offer that let's not waste each others time....
Ah, recruiters. We're a right bunch of ****ing idiots eh.

I can't be bothere trying to get someone to take less / not what they want. I'll tell people we can't get to what they want, even if we thought we could (honestly, thought we could). It's up to them, then.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:45 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

good for you. this "lady" was the most pushy unprofessional recruiter I've ever met.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
good for you. this "lady" was the most pushy unprofessional recruiter I've ever met.
I can be too. But over the right things, at least I like to think.

Still, everyone has their faults and I definitely do.