Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Old May 27th 2014, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

minnie16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. I am looking to move to the UAE. Preferably Dubai /Abu Dhabi but am struggling to find positions.

I am 26, with a degree (BA Hons Business and Marketing) and background in Marketing and Business development. I currently have my own business essentially managing finance departments (in particular Credit Management) for SME's and PLC's.

Although young(ish) and being quintessentially British struggle to say, I am quite advanced for my age having roles at director level with a vast skill set.

I am engaged and soon to be married so it would be both of us moving and have been taking Arabic lessons to try to advance our chances.

Does anyone have any advice to offer of how to actually find a job, where to look, what makes an application stand out etc?

Currently applying with gulf talent, reed and guardian.

Any help would be much appreciated as we are desperate to move out there.

Many Thanks

Minnie16

Last edited by minnie16; May 27th 2014 at 1:29 pm.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

What nationality are you because that makes a big difference? You are not British, or if you are then the university which gave you your Hone(sic) degree obviously doesn't mind English being mangled in the way you have written your post.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mikewot

That should be BA Hons Degree (Trying to hurry and post)

I am British and my Degree was obtained here too.

Thanks
Old May 27th 2014, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

OK I will ask again, what is your country of origin? The hints for me are:

"being quintessentially British struggle to say"
"Engaged and to be married"
"so would be both of us moving"

Maybe you are being Indian isn't it?
Old May 27th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
OK I will ask again, what is your country of origin? The hints for me are:

"being quintessentially British struggle to say"
"Engaged and to be married"
"so would be both of us moving"

Maybe you are being Indian isn't it?
Mikewot

I was born in England and am white, Caucasian

Now that the equal opps form is completed do you have any tips at all?
Old May 27th 2014, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by minnie16
Now that the equal opps form is completed do you have any tips at all?
Yes:
1) Skin colour is totally forbidden to be discussed in UK, out here it very much makes a difference.
2) When asked a question don't make people repeat it twice.
3) You may consider that you can casually quickly make a post and not give a sh1t about your English when making the sort of enquiry which you have done. In general in this bored you don't have to worry too much but in this part of the site and given the audience I would be more careful about the impression you're making. Remember that first impressions cannot be taken back.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Mikewot

My intention as a ‘newbie’ to the forum was to obtain some useful information.
I am aware that skin colour is an important aspect to potential employees and as a result have included my picture on my CV.

Regarding your other points and as a Moderator of the forum I am surprised that you’re not aware of the description of the thread:

‘This forum is for discussions related to employment issues in the ME. It is NOT to be used for job postings, nor for employment agencies to tout for candidates’

And of the site rules. One including:

…..Should anyone use inappropriate language, start a personal attack, or engage in hate speech, they will be barred from all further discussions.

I would now appreciate if you would allow for my post to be responded to in the way it was intended as opposed to rude language and unnecessary hostility or review of my English Language ability.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:05 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Any help would be much appreciated as we are desperate to move out there.
Why is that? Just curious seeing as you seem to be doing well in the UK.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi Weasel decentral

I love the UAE. I love the culture, food and weather.

The UK just isn't the place for me.

Anyone I know who moves there adores the place too!
Old May 27th 2014, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the lecture Minnie :-) How long have you spent working out here in the UAE?
Old May 27th 2014, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Weasel decentral

I love the UAE. I love the culture, food and weather.

The UK just isn't the place for me.

Anyone I know who moves there adores the place too!
You seem to be a bit star struck. There is more culture in a pot of yoghurt than the UAE, the food is a mixture of fast food and shit, and clearly you haven't been there in summer otherwise you wouldn't make such a foolish comment.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking he is liking the Emirates for other reasons.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Come on chaps .. new member and all that. I know you don't pull any punches but it would be nice if we held back a little?
Old May 28th 2014, 5:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

In an effort to be nice, I would suggest you narrow your search down to very specific roles. I can't tell from your post what you actually do or what is your job title. Something like office manager or credit controller ? It seems quite general and if it is just general administrative stuff then there are millions from other nations who will do it for less than a western person. Companies here want to see experience from Europe that they can take advantage of or use in managerial positions, not routine admin roles in my opinion.

I would forget the general statements of having roles at director level, unless you are Mark Zukerberg what does that actually mean? If I was 26 with vast experience and had roles at director level of note, people would be coming to me not the other way round. It just reads as either naive or inflated to me.

No point in learning Arabic unless for personal reasons as English is the business language.

Anyhow good luck and don't take the criticism or anything else on here on in the UAE personally. It takes a certain thick skinned-ness to operate in the ME.
Old May 28th 2014, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yes:
1) Skin colour is totally forbidden to be discussed in UK, out here it very much makes a difference.
2) When asked a question don't make people repeat it twice.
3) You may consider that you can casually quickly make a post and not give a sh1t about your English when making the sort of enquiry which you have done. In general in this bored you don't have to worry too much but in this part of the site and given the audience I would be more careful about the impression you're making. Remember that first impressions cannot be taken back.
I think your hormones are out of wack, Mike. Have you tried hibiscus tea and the testosterone replacement tablets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.