Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:55 am
Banned

Thrillhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by Deanov22
Apologies for not clarifying.

I am female and my partner is male. We are not married but have been living together a couple of years. I made my recruiter and ADIA aware of this in the initial stages.
If not married your fair game
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

If I am successful my partner will be emigrating with me. Will he be able to get a visa off the back of mine?
As you are not married, this is simple - no, he cannot. If you legally marry, yes he can - you will need to produce an attested marriage certificate to sponsor him, and also to get any company benefits applicable to spouses (insurance, flights etc). Otherwise he finds a job with his own visa, or he does the border-runs as already mentioned (though be aware, they changed the rules recently for Schengen passport holders, which means they can only be here for 90 days in every 180 days - doesn't apply to Brit passports, but I suppose it is possible they might do that for Brit passports also in the future).
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
but I suppose it is possible they might do that for Brit passports also in the future).
Unlikely. The Brit - UAE relationship is strong and the they've just announced a year of bonding or whatever between the 2 countries. They won't mess with the visa.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Unlikely. The Brit - UAE relationship is strong and the they've just announced a year of bonding or whatever between the 2 countries. They won't mess with the visa.
And you don't think the (for instance) French-UAE relationship is strong? It's naive to be so confident they won't change visa rules, especially on the border-run issues.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:07 pm
JSB
Just Joined

JSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - first time poster so apologies for the repetitive lness of the question....

I have a PDI test scheduled next week - I have read repetitively that it is relatively straightforward (hopefully so - I guess I will take heed from some of the advice and do some practise runs) but I had a quick couple of other questions:
1) are you allowed pencil and a paper? I know calculators are not allowed
2) what does the fictitious simulation involve? The instructions have stated that there is no need to memorise anything but any tips on what to expect would be greatly appreciated as I am a little perplexed as what to expect...

Thanks very much for your help in advance - this forum has been an invaluable source of information at all levels
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

expatca is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I will be travelling out to Abu Dhabi the end of Nov for my final (I think!) round interviews.

I have already had two VC interviews and have travelled to London for psychometric testing at Kornferry. Thankfully all pretty positive feedback thus far.

Although I have yet to get my itinerary, from what my recruiter told me it will be two days of interviews held with a number of people with viewings the second day.

I am interested in how other people have found the process. The thoughts of two full days being interviewed sounds slightly daunting and any tips would be great fully received!
If I am successful my partner will be emigrating with me. Will he be able to get a visa off the back of mine?

The role I am being interviewed for is P2 level. If anyone has any idea what this package would entail that would be great as currently I have very little information to go on.

Thanks all!
Congratulations for making to the final round of interviews! Abu Dhabi is definitely a nice city and a lot of places to visit!

For the compensation package, base salary of P2 will be higher than that of P1. Other elements are similar. If you are P3 management, your entire compensation package will be jump to a brand new level! In the meantime, your compensation package will be based on that given to a single as they will ask for your marriage certificate.

Another thing to remind you about is UAE is quite a conservative country...
Good luck!

-expatca
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JSB
Hi all - first time poster so apologies for the repetitive lness of the question....

I have a PDI test scheduled next week - I have read repetitively that it is relatively straightforward (hopefully so - I guess I will take heed from some of the advice and do some practise runs) but I had a quick couple of other questions:
1) are you allowed pencil and a paper? I know calculators are not allowed
2) what does the fictitious simulation involve? The instructions have stated that there is no need to memorise anything but any tips on what to expect would be greatly appreciated as I am a little perplexed as what to expect...

Thanks very much for your help in advance - this forum has been an invaluable source of information at all levels
1) Yes, you are allowed pencil and paper but I doubt you will have too much time writing things on the paper
2) The fictitious simulation means they will put you in a real-world corporate situation in which they will see how you would react to different scenarios or circumstances. No right or wrong answers to it but they want to see your cultural thinking and thought process...

Good luck!

-expatca
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:37 pm
JSB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by expatca
1) Yes, you are allowed pencil and paper but I doubt you will have too much time writing things on the paper
2) The fictitious simulation means they will put you in a real-world corporate situation in which they will see how you would react to different scenarios or circumstances. No right or wrong answers to it but they want to see your cultural thinking and thought process...

Good luck!

-expatca
Thanks very much - hopefully all goes well....

I was just wondering on the paper front as I am a lot better numerically if I can scribble on paper....

fingers crossed.

Last edited by JSB; Dec 5th 2016 at 2:47 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JSB
Thanks very much - hopefully all goes well....

I was just wondering on the paper front as I am a lot better numerically if I can scribble on paper....

fingers crossed.
They are math questions. A lot of similar kind of questions are available on the web. Practice should always help.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 16th 2017, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

ShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to all

Hello! I'm expecting to be invited to the final round of face to face interviews in Abu Dhabi, and my headhunter has said I should be prepared for an exam while I'm there - an LBO case study? Has anyone been through this? Would love to know what to expect, and any advice on how to prepare.
Any other tips / advice on the two day process will be appreciated too!
Many thanks!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
And you don't think the (for instance) French-UAE relationship is strong? It's naive to be so confident they won't change visa rules, especially on the border-run issues.
WTF have the Frenchies got to do with it?

Maybe it is strong, maybe it isn't.... but the 'relationship' between the UAE and UK is a lot more than just being country fwends. The UK and the UAE have a incredibly long history and unless we (the UK) do something incredibly stupid the visa stipulations are highly unlikely to change.

Naivety doesn't come into it.... History does.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:54 am
Just Joined

The_Black_Panther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jam25mack
The UK and the UAE have a incredibly long history
No sh*t. The original invaders. The original immigrants.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Both are eh statements.

Originally Posted by The_Black_Panther
No sh*t. The original invaders. The original immigrants.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:50 pm
JSB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ShirleyG102
Hello! I'm expecting to be invited to the final round of face to face interviews in Abu Dhabi, and my headhunter has said I should be prepared for an exam while I'm there - an LBO case study? Has anyone been through this? Would love to know what to expect, and any advice on how to prepare.
Any other tips / advice on the two day process will be appreciated too!
Many thanks!
Just to bring it back to point, this is the first I have heard of exams whilst out there.

Most of what i have heard advises to take the trip seriously, a further extension of the interviews you already have had (i.e. a trip out there doesn't guarantee you the job)...

From my understanding, ADIA HR sends you the schedule - that way you can ask them directly or see from the schedule as I can understand the headhunters are very vague at the best of times (I don't get it - they all seem to be very scared of questioning ADIA re anything)...

Sorry, doesn't really help but thought i would add my 2 bit
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, first time I've heard of an exam.

My experience was 2 days on interviews, from morning till evening.

The interviews were a mixture of competency based questions, questions on background, and some were not much more than chat.

As much as anything they will be looking to see whether you will fit in. You'll get lots of people asking about your impressions of Abu Dhabi (say nice things!), your impressions of ADIA (same!), and asking what you think the challenges and differences will be from your current job.

None of these "fit" questions are there to catch you out. They genuinely need to know that you understand what the move will encompass. From their perspective hiring someone who then discovers ADIA and the UAE isn't for them is an expensive mistake - so they will do everything to avoid that.

When you meet an Emirati (I had one interview with an Emirate out of 16 total) then it's important to be polite, friendly and respect their norms. They like to hear of your admiration for their country and of what has been achieved. Be prepared for a long handshake. The handshakes are not the UK style firm handshake. It's a much gentler handshake that is considered polite in the UAE.

The Emirati I met was a really nice guy, and was quite inspirational. It was clear that the department heads respected him highly.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Last edited by dominoman; Jan 20th 2017 at 11:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.