Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Introducing Myself - Abu Dhabi

Introducing Myself - Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:09 am
Just Joined

strontium is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Introducing Myself - Abu Dhabi

Hey here,

I have been working in AUH on secondment sine May and have decided to accept a job offer with my company to relocate out here on a work visa.

If anyone wants to throw their 10p in on my offer feel free:

I am single
I am a civil engineer with 8 years experience
I am 41 (second career and went to uni at 30)
I have a masters degree (MEng)

Offer is 27k a month with no accommodation allowance
I have a UK pension that I will contribute 6% o my previous UK salary to and so will my employer
Obviously I get medical cover
23 days holiday a year
No return flights

I know it's not a blow you away offer but I think it's pretty reasonable and I have the back up that I am with the company I have worked for in UK for 3 years so continuous service, no probation and I can return to UK job with same company in a few years if I want to.

I just really wanted to say hello really but I thought I'd list the offer anyway.

I have enjoyed living here since May and hope to contribute to the forum... oh while I think of it, does anyone have any recommendations on a specific bank and credit card set up? I was considering ADCB.

Stront
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introducing Myself - Abu Dhabi

How much will accommodation cost you ?
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:24 am
Just Joined

strontium is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
How much will accommodation cost you ?
I am looking at one bed aparts with a pool so about 100k a year so I guess that's 8.4k a month. My company will provide the cheques for the two instalments but I pay it back to them interest free on a monthly basis.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:10 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! A few of comments from me...

That deal isn't good, I'd have thought 35-40k all-in based on your quaifications. >50k if you can get UK Chartered and a bit more experience.

Double check that you will get your 'end-of-term' gratuity, which is the law in the UAE. Works out at 21 days pay per year worked, from memory.

As a non-tax paying expat, the maximum you can pay into a UK pension fund is £2,880 per tax year (£3,600 gross, after 20% basic tax relief, which is free money).
Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

What is the basic salary, as it would appear that your flights and accom have been included?
Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11

Double check that you will get your 'end-of-term' gratuity, which is the law in the UAE. Works out at 21 days pay per year worked, from memory.
That's a moot point in practice. No doubt he'll "contract out" of the EOTG as a quid pro quo for the pension contributions. Legally it may not be strictly right, but he'd be hard-pressed to enforce payment of both.

The salary sounds low for a civil engineer, even if accommodation was provided. The rent loan from the employer is a big plus, though. It all comes down to whether or not all the factors make the move worthwhile--he's been there since May so has a good feel for what his costs and lifestyle will be. Needs to ensure that he factors in all accommodation costs, preferably with the rent being inclusive of utilities.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

babylon is an unknown quantity at this point

strontium

do you want to share some information on how your negotiations
Old Nov 26th 2015, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't really worth studying all that time for was it
Old Dec 1st 2015, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strontium
Hey here,

I have been working in AUH on secondment sine May and have decided to accept a job offer with my company to relocate out here on a work visa.

If anyone wants to throw their 10p in on my offer feel free:

I am single
I am a civil engineer with 8 years experience
I am 41 (second career and went to uni at 30)
I have a masters degree (MEng)

Offer is 27k a month with no accommodation allowance
I have a UK pension that I will contribute 6% o my previous UK salary to and so will my employer
Obviously I get medical cover
23 days holiday a year
No return flights

I know it's not a blow you away offer but I think it's pretty reasonable and I have the back up that I am with the company I have worked for in UK for 3 years so continuous service, no probation and I can return to UK job with same company in a few years if I want to.

I just really wanted to say hello really but I thought I'd list the offer anyway.

I have enjoyed living here since May and hope to contribute to the forum... oh while I think of it, does anyone have any recommendations on a specific bank and credit card set up? I was considering ADCB.

Stront
Hi Stront

Welcome to BE and AD since May
I would do what you feel is right for you, as mentioned you've been here since May and have got a feel for the place and cost of living ect.... 27K is a comfortable amount to live on but yes you should expect more and even try and push for more! It's good the company will help out with the cheques and you pay them monthly, that's a great help.
Do you still need to pay into your UK pension or could you not transfer it to an offshore account then pay no tax?
It sounds like you have done your research into acomodation too and are happy with the offer which is fab. Also being able to walk back into your position within the same company in the UK is good too.
Ask your work colleagues who are on the company visa and see what their salary is in comparison to your offer and job title, always worth being cheeky and trying for more, all they can do is say no.

As for banks and credit cards, I think majority of the banks offer the same kind of benefits, have a look maybe into a cc that offers air miles with Etihad especially as your flights aren't included in job offer. I personally bank with ADIB and have been very happy with them, although I don't have a credit card with them and the debit card I have is very basic and cannot be used to purchase things online which is a ball ache but the bank itself it great.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision