Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

International Driving Licence from UK!

International Driving Licence from UK!

Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Driving Licence from UK!

For one of the vacancies I am considering applying for in Saudi Arabia, there is a requirement for an international driving licence. I have enquired around and what is available from UK is what's called an International driving permit (IDP). It is clearly stated that this is not an international driving licence. So my question is, how do you get an international licence from UK, if it isn't IDP.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Driving Licence from UK!

I suspect they just need a license from a western (?) country. You'll need anyway to get (or better convert to) a Saudi license once you get there. They just want you to own one prior to coming so that you don't start driving lessons there !
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by omega7
I suspect they just need a license from a western (?) country. You'll need anyway to get (or better convert to) a Saudi license once you get there. They just want you to own one prior to coming so that you don't start driving lessons there !
Hi Omega7, I enquired the agency, and they said that UK's licence is not accepted and they want international licence. My thinking is that IDP is what they are referring to. How do you convert into Saudi licence, do you have to retake the test when you are there?
Old Sep 30th 2015, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you can always get the permit, just in case.

The conversion is simply through an application once you are there of course and i believe only after you get your iqama (i.e. your Saudi ID).