Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

How does your company cover school fees?

View Poll Results: How does your company cover school fees?
A
54.17%
B
16.67%
C
16.67%
D
12.50%
E
4.17%
33.33%
20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

How does your company cover school fees?

Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:13 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

I still get lots of clients with families to relocate...did one today, 4 kids between 5 and 12 years old, planning to be here for 5 years, 250,000 dhs housing allowance, utilities paid for, school fees fully paid for...and they are not an exception at all.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:15 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I still get lots of clients with families to relocate...did one today, 4 kids between 5 and 12 years old, planning to be here for 5 years, 250,000 dhs housing allowance, utilities paid for, school fees fully paid for...and they are not an exception at all.
are these jobs in construction or what? I'm starting to really wonder what someone has to do/be to get such a package...
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:22 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
are these jobs in construction or what? I'm starting to really wonder what someone has to do/be to get such a package...
no, never even had a client that works in construction...
these are people working for major international companies in different fields, but they were already working for these companies and were asked to relocate to Dubai...oil companies, medical/pharmaceutical companies, chemical companies....
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

They've got to be the exception , they might not be the exception for your dealings but i imagine you'll be doing business with a very specific group of expats , specific enough to hire somebody to help them out as a start up service ?

Obviously these deals are still around and they'll still be around for years to come but they're not the norm that's impossible , the breakdown on industry and geographical home countries of expats will give you an indicator. Also the collapse of the Construction market and Property market will have had a massive effect on these packages along with the demise of the Quasi Governmental Developers who were the biggest package whores in the GCC.

I've worked for Construction companies overseas for nearly 20 years and packages now are on the wane and drastically , case in point Dubai ,especially for the construction , property and manufacturing related entities.

There's nothing to build , sell or make anymore so there's no need for big deals. Different professions will obviously have different constraints , that i can't comment on but i'm sure there's differentials out there.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:45 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

no, never even had a client that works in construction...
these are people working for major international companies in different fields, but they were already working for these companies and were asked to relocate to Dubai...oil companies, medical/pharmaceutical companies, chemical companies....
phew - that's reassuring in a way! I was starting to think we were missing a trick!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by co durham boy
They've got to be the exception , they might not be the exception for your dealings but i imagine you'll be doing business with a very specific group of expats , specific enough to hire somebody to help them out as a start up service ?

Obviously these deals are still around and they'll still be around for years to come but they're not the norm that's impossible , the breakdown on industry and geographical home countries of expats will give you an indicator. Also the collapse of the Construction market and Property market will have had a massive effect on these packages along with the demise of the Quasi Governmental Developers who were the biggest package whores in the GCC.

I've worked for Construction companies overseas for nearly 20 years and packages now are on the wane and drastically , case in point Dubai ,especially for the construction , property and manufacturing related entities.

There's nothing to build , sell or make anymore so there's no need for big deals. Different professions will obviously have different constraints , that i can't comment on but i'm sure there's differentials out there.

as I said, I have never had anyone working in construction, so I have no idea about that area...the companies that hire us are big multinationals, and they offer the relocation assistance to their newcomers, and they are not all big shot CEOs or MDs, just your avarage 'manager' types. We have about 20 consultants working, and I have about 5 to 6 clients per month with about half of them coming over with their family...I am assuming that the same goes for my collegues.

'my' oil people get housing allowances up to 280,000, no difference for singles or families, lots of single guys living it up in massive penthouses in the Marina, lol (was 325,000 until June 1 when they brought it down) with everything paid for including schools. And again, these are just guys with 'normal' type jobs.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at my neighbours, one side Canadian Chinese, 4 kids, other side American 6 kids.

In terms of the wider compound Australian 4, Uk/Us 4, US 4, Uk, 4, Ozzie 3, British 3, Danish 3 and loads of 2s. They were mostly recruited over the past couple of years with all their kids. Anecdotally, it was understood that Emirati's like big families.

I didn't even know of any families with more than 4 kids before i got here and am now surrounded by them.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

as I said, I have never had anyone working in construction, so I have no idea about that area...the companies that hire us are big multinationals, and they offer the relocation assistance to their newcomers, and they are not all big shot CEOs or MDs, just your avarage 'manager' types. We have about 20 consultants working, and I have about 5 to 6 clients per month with about half of them coming over with their family...I am assuming that the same goes for my collegues.

'my' oil people get housing allowances up to 280,000, no difference for singles or families, lots of single guys living it up in massive penthouses in the Marina, lol (was 325,000 until June 1 when they brought it down) with everything paid for including schools. And again, these are just guys with 'normal' type jobs.
The specific industry and level will dictate the terms of the package but it's not the norm , i wish it was , well saying that i don't think i'd be able to spend 280,000 in Qatar...
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:45 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

thing is, the age at which someone has kids is generally around the 15-20 years work experience, and quite frankly those folks are better to hire for complicated jobs than a single guy with 2-3 years experience.

penny wise, pound foolish.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:34 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, I love when these questions pop up every so often.

Lets see...

Housing Allowance, Schooling paid for any and all kids, Car allowance, All utilities paid (Havent seen a DEWA bill in 4 years, have no idea how much that stuff costs...), phone, internet and TV paid, full international medical for all family members..

Oh, and a cracking salary..

I love feather beds....
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Ahhh, I love when these questions pop up every so often.

Lets see...

Housing Allowance, Schooling paid for any and all kids, Car allowance, All utilities paid (Havent seen a DEWA bill in 4 years, have no idea how much that stuff costs...), phone, internet and TV paid, full international medical for all family members..

Oh, and a cracking salary..

I love feather beds....
Yes mate, and welcome to the 'Real World' of The Middle East! - Nice Temptations, but were they ever paid? I can remember coming home after an especially Hot Afternoon on site during August, only to find that 'The Company' had decided to change its policy and NOT pay for Utility Bills! - The change in policy was made three months earlier, but no one was informed! - DEWA came to call!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:18 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Yes mate, and welcome to the 'Real World' of The Middle East! - Nice Temptations, but were they ever paid? I can remember coming home after an especially Hot Afternoon on site during August, only to find that 'The Company' had decided to change its policy and NOT pay for Utility Bills! - The change in policy was made three months earlier, but no one was informed! - DEWA came to call!
You are working for the wrong company, mate...

9 years and never had anything cut..

In fact, raises...!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
You are working for the wrong company, mate...

9 years and never had anything cut..

In fact, raises...!!!!
It depends who you work for! - I got a bit 'Niggled' that night!