Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

How does your company cover school fees?

View Poll Results: How does your company cover school fees?
A
54.17%
B
16.67%
C
16.67%
D
12.50%
E
4.17%
33.33%
20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

How does your company cover school fees?

Old May 31st 2011, 12:17 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Company will pay a multiple of basic salary towards school fees which varies by grade - but all nationalities treated equally.

For the driver, this is enough to cover all of his kids school fees back in Kerala though for some relatively senior professionals it doesn't cover full school fees here in UAE.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Whilst looking down on those with all in packages
I don't understand this (I would like too for sure). If you negotiate an all in package that covers your school fees, maids, golf, housing, utilities and savings aspirations does it really matter?

It's the total value that counts, not how your employer tells you how to apportion it.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I don't understand this (I would like too for sure). If you negotiate an all in package that covers your school fees, maids, golf, housing, utilities and savings aspirations does it really matter?

It's the total value that counts, not how your employer tells you how to apportion it.
Its purely down to having to having little financial commitment with a real package. So if things do ever go pear shaped we just walk away and then come back when things settled without having to worry about the 40,000 sterling you just paid for a years rent etc.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

23k each rest is up to me
Old May 31st 2011, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Its purely down to having to having little financial commitment with a real package. So if things do ever go pear shaped we just walk away and then come back when things settled without having to worry about the 40,000 sterling you just paid for a years rent etc.
fair point - I'm now on 4 cheques so no big deal - when it was a year, My employer paid and did monthly deductions. This is why I pay the school fees on the first day of term
Old May 31st 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

And thats just a B
Old May 31st 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

$25,000 per child....but it's a known but unwritten fact that more than 2 kids and you don't get a move.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

School fees aren't salaries. It's an use it or lose it benefit. Expats in Dubai have to use the international schools and the school fees are just an indirect transfer of wealth from the companies to the schools.

So much for a tax free state....

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Too bloody right. I've always found it odd and a little hard to accept that someone is effectively paid more simply because they have more children.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Never mind school fees that are fortunately a given with my employer, what about nursery fees and summer school fees that arent
5000 aed a term for nursery fees (3 days a week) and 1000 aed a week (3 days) for summer school.

My package really does need amending to cover these.

Whilst looking down on those with all in packages I still look up to our Directors packages which include maids allowances and club memberships. Aspirational and long may those packages continue. All spoken with Messers Barker, Corbett and Clees intonation before the all in package mob get frightfully upset
Would you rather your company provided a host of employees for you so that you never in fact in have to go near your kids?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:09 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Would you rather your company provided a host of employees for you so that you never in fact in have to go near your kids?
we get a grand total of... nowt for school fees. Didn't in Mr Kitty's previous company either - such is the lot of the all-in packager.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
we get a grand total of... nowt for school fees. Didn't in Mr Kitty's previous company either - such is the lot of the all-in packager.
Thats the way so many are going now.

Sign of the times. Millhouse made a good point about being better off if you have kids compared to if you dont...sometimes packages work that way.

I like the all-in system, it's more real and more suitable to to such a 'soft' expat posting like Dubai.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:22 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Sign of the times. Millhouse made a good point about being better off if you have kids compared to if you dont...sometimes packages work that way.

I like the all-in system, it's more real and more suitable to to such a 'soft' expat posting like Dubai.
A lot of organizations still offer quite complex packages, and there are good reasons for doing so including the obvious issue of 'basic salary' being used as the basis for end of service, performance related/bonus calculations etc. Having remuneration spread across other allowances with a smaller basic salary can save a company a lot of money in the long run.

Even though Dubai is relatively a soft expat posting, it is much harder to have employees relocate an entire family than for singles/DINKYs. Family friendly packages are a key mechanism for getting experienced staff out here rather than younger people with little experience who think they know everything already (but don't).

Kids are very expensive, I can't see how you can possibly be 'better off' ie. more disposable income, even with family packages.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:30 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I voted D and E, by the way. Get paid nowt but we can afford the childcare that we want (it's nursery, not schooling at the moment), but of course, 60k for the two of them from September is going to dent our savings goal!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A 'family expat' will cost more to employ. However, one would hope that it is because they are a bit older and have more experience. However, a guy with 3 kids should cost no more to employ than a guy with 2 kids if they bring the same experience and skills to the table.

Remember, kids are the decision of the parent not the employer.

Now, don't me started on Mother & Child parking bays.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I voted D and E, by the way. Get paid nowt but we can afford the childcare that we want (it's nursery, not schooling at the moment), but of course, 60k for the two of them from September is going to dent our savings goal!
I hope that this is all accounted for in Microsoft Money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.