In house legal salaries

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

GreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really nice
Default In house legal salaries

HI Gang

Well have just returned from a trip to your part of the world for a job interview with one of the airlines. All seemed to go well.

Next question is that I have done some extensive research on the net about inhouse legal salaries in the ME but this is my last port of call (not wanting to bother others until I had spent some time doing research).

Now I know that it all comes down to experience and sector but was hoping that someone could give me an indication of basic salary for a 8+ year lawyer in the aviation area (I am not general counsel level - one day... maybe.. once someone performs the lobotomy) .

I know from discussions with the prospective employer that a housing allowance and some other things would be included, so assuming they are what do you think is a decent basic package, ie excluding any options ( I understand that you need to look at a package in total, but am trying to work out the parts of the package as the sum of the parts will then determine the whole ).

Information I have would suggest that somewhere in the 40-65k a month range would be about right (I know thats a big range but about all I could garner from the net). But would be interested to hear other views.
Thanks for your time
Cheers

Last edited by GreenApples; Oct 3rd 2010 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:18 am
Just Joined

GreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really niceGreenApples is just really nice
Default Re: In house legal salaries

Actually, should add a little more detail:

The package would be made up of:
  • Basic Salary
  • Accommodation component - but live in housing also an option
  • Return airfares (not so much a problem or key issue as I am told I would be able to get unlimited 90% reduced airfares - assuming available seats - and obviously having enough leave up your sleeve)
  • Car allowance
  • Medical

So while I can work out the value/worth to me of the components listed above, am interested to know people's view on the basic salary. I had quoted them a figure (which may have been a little high, but then again may not have been) in the job interview based on some private practice salaries that I could find information for on the net. But thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here as to how spot on or otherwise I was?!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by GreenApples; Oct 4th 2010 at 4:20 am.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help on salary level, but as to tactics: never, ever, ever give them a figure--it will only move in one direction from there, and you run the risk of giving them a figure far higher than their expectations that you'll scare them off (ie, they'll think "If he believes he's worth 100 but the max we can go to is 60, and if he does accept, then he'll constantly feel undervalued..."); or if the figure you give them is pretty close, it'll still only shrink and you run the risk of leaving money on the table.

If they want you (or at least are pretty interested), force them to propose a figure, and work up from there. You should know enough about body language to tell when they've reached the point above which they can't go.

Good luck.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Can't help on salary level, but as to tactics: never, ever, ever give them a figure--it will only move in one direction from there, and you run the risk of giving them a figure far higher than their expectations that you'll scare them off (ie, they'll think "If he believes he's worth 100 but the max we can go to is 60, and if he does accept, then he'll constantly feel undervalued..."); or if the figure you give them is pretty close, it'll still only shrink and you run the risk of leaving money on the table.
Thanks for the response Bahtatboy - and good advice.

Cheers