Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

guess what.... but a little different.. :)

guess what.... but a little different.. :)

Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Rhino1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default guess what.... but a little different.. :)

Hey folks,

Ok I'm new here so please go easy

I also looked around for similar posts and found this one:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776596

...did some homework

I moved to the UAE around 4 years ago for 18k with accommodation paid (1 bedroom flat) the apartment is nice and spacious so no issues there, yearly ticket, and rubbish working hours [1.5 days off a week]..

however;
I'm a bachelor with no commitments and no debts. In those 4 years the salary has increased to 20k only. I'm in the IT industry (IT Manager) and am now seriously thinking of moving back to London. I've done a little research on the salaries there which are around 45k. The 20k AED works out at around 58k UK.

I was wondering if it may be time to do so I know the salary is lower in the UK but the difference is around 600 pounds. I'm beginning to feel that the difference should at least be 1500 by now.. I'm only here to make money but is the 600 difference _really_ worth it.

What do you all think? Is that about right or underpaid?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: guess what.... but a little different.. :)

I just noticed this is probably in the wrong discussion group.

Does anybody know how to move it to the ME Job Discussions?

(p.s - if I do move back to the UK I have my parents house to stay in which I dont really mind)

p.s. I'm 30 btw...
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

London calling

lots of other varibles to consider though.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhino1
I just noticed this is probably in the wrong discussion group.

Done
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rhino-

Firstly I don't really understand your numbers, your looking at a 45K annual job in London, and you earn 58K tax free here but you work it out at 600 quid? Maybe I'm being blonde...

are you any good at your job- genuine question, do you deserve a payrise? Its very well at lookingat jobs in London but will you actually get that salary? Will you even get the job- you've been out the country for 4 years- sometimes this can be held against you in a competitive job market.

Would it be worth speaking with your line manager? It does sound like a pretty good salary for a 30 year old to me ( if you are earning 58K sterling a eyear). Bare in mind the costs of living in London, the tax alone will hit you hard, its an expensive place to live that I was never able to save money in. If you have saved what you wanted to save then go for it, but don't expect to save in London- its still not over the recession and is hard and expensive at the moment.

If my pay differenece between here and the UK was only 600 quid I'd be on the next plane home personally.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by saudiflares
London calling

lots of other varibles to consider though.
This.

Life is full of experiences, and then you die. Money is just money. But if money is your main issue, have a look around Europe. Not all countries in Europe have their economy in the shitter, and not all countries pay equally as shitty wages as the UK in terms of cost of living either, nor apply as many stealth taxes. Scandinavia is thought of as expensive and grim, but doable when your salary is twice what it would be in the UK..not saying yours will..just an idea to look into.

edit: I left the UK when although I initially in my last position got a pay rise early on, I ended up with anywhere from 10 to 20 percent pay cuts for 2 years. Hardly the place to look to go for a good pay rise at the moment..infact, avoid Europe mostly, enjoy the rest of the world. You say you are single, so no one to worry about.

Last edited by Paracletus; Jan 12th 2013 at 4:48 am.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

SaudiFlares - Thanks for the respone. I have been thinking this for around 6 months now. It's becoming more & more a reality. The place has no life or spirit.

Bob - You da man!

KittyKat - Maybe I did my calcs wrong. I went to listentotaxman.com and kept inputting values until it reached to my salary tax free. So 3300 sterling ended up at around 58K per year after tax. Then I did the same for 45K (around the job value market in UK) sterling and that ended up at around 2750 sterling. Did the plus and minus and got around 550 - 600 (maybe i did it all wrong) I worked out the cost of living to be "around" the same so the difference matches after removing expenses. I'm loosing life to this place.

Paracletus - Thanks mate. I totally agree about the experiences part. I've saved an amount that I think is sufficient too. I've also had 2 pay decrements in the last 2 years! "company is downsizing and loosing money" ya whatever. The company may no longer be making 20 million and now 15.
Makes me sick. Went from 21,200 to 20,000 (around 200 pounds)

I mean the country has its perks and some people in etisalat (telcom) company are earning ridiculous amounts and they really do jack s***

(baring in mind accomodation is paid and doesnt come out of my 20k)

Any opinions changed?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rhino,

Ok I'd say forget the money, you sound like you've just had enough- how much money would make it worth your while to stay? I'd say by the vibe of your message your shit bucket is full, 4 years is a good innings, maybe it is time to call it a day.

Listen to your gut, and trust it. If you're done you're done, no ammount of money will make it worth being miserable long term.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Rhino,

Ok I'd say forget the money, you sound like you've just had enough- how much money would make it worth your while to stay? I'd say by the vibe of your message your shit bucket is full, 4 years is a good innings, maybe it is time to call it a day.

Listen to your gut, and trust it. If you're done you're done, no ammount of money will make it worth being miserable long term.
Yea, tbh I think i've had enough. London has things no other city has.
I'm thinking at around the 4000 mark will give me a little more motive to push, so 24,000 AED. Does that sound wishful, or even worth..??
[sorry for worth it comment]

"Listen to your gut..." One of the best things to hear.. long term misery is a regret (that can be avoided - in some respect). regret is usually baaad.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I miss London terribly and everytime I go back I loathe to come back here, I have sobbed at the airport waiting for my flight more than once, plenty of people don't get it, whats to miss about london? but I completely understand. I sometimes wonder if its a good or bad thing I go there so often for work, but I have a little save the church style chart which is my house deposit. Gets me through the dark days. Would a trip home help you get past it if its just a bit of homesickness or if your just done you really are done?

So whats the harm is asking for more, if they say no it seals your decision if they say yes you have to decide if you are prepared to sell your soul.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Kitty - I feel the EXACT same pain. I came back from my Christmas vacation and stepped out into the open on the exit gates were the taxi stand is and literally shed a tear. Nobody get's it as you say. London has charisma. You go out and you WILL meet someone, even if they just ask you for a light
There are parks! for heavens sake at least there is a 'usable' pavement.

Going to tesco, sainsbury, waitrose, wherever and hearing them say thanks while handing your change makes you feel warm.

I go as often as I can. Even for 10 days. I miss ALL my family and friends.

I've tried asking for a payrise in November but apparently the company hasnt got much money at the present time.

I love your selling soul message - this is indeed what we are doing.
Money rules us - no matter how much we deny, money really is the power.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well if you have just got back from holiday is this a bit of holiday blues?

I go back at the end of the week and cannot wait! I'm starting to get lots of job offers back home so the market seems to be picking up in my trade.

The question comes- what do you want more- money or your life- money comes and goes in life but you can't get back the years. Maybe you don't need to leave immediately but you could start to work on your exit plan- makes you feel a bit more positive.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

It could indeed be the holiday blues but they seem to be a little more and longer lasting then those when you visit the beach in thailand or ibiza (if your into that sort of thing)

You LUCKY spirit..!

No matter how much we say life, we just have a magnet reaction to that "stupid / gorgeous" cotton paper that says "Bank of England" 50 note

I am definitely going to start to look for jobs from tonight, Another 6-8 weeks probably wont hurt (if I find one in that time).. but I'm never going to change who I am. London 4 life..!!

God bless hyde-park... lost and found so many friends there!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

So 3300 sterling ended up at around 58K per year after tax.
Negative taxation?

(p.s - if I do move back to the UK I have my parents house to stay in which I dont really mind)

p.s. I'm 30 btw...
Do you have like a separate building to live in? Otherwise, have you lived with your parents when you were 25+ more than a few months in a row?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think Kit and Rhino should go out on a date. Although, I suspect it would all end in tears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.