Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Formulating a target salary

Formulating a target salary

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

stormwynd is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Formulating a target salary

Hello!

I've had my first interview for an IT job @ an oil production firm in Doha, and would like to have a salary indication ready for when they ask (if I get to that point).

I've used the "is it worth it" guide to put a target budget together - the question mark comes in for the "savings" category. Of course I want to save as much as possible.

Some details...
  • I have roughly 4 years of experience that directly apply to this job, including a few certifications.
  • My current before-tax salary (in Denmark) equates to 33k QAR/month.
  • I'm American, single, 32... not a big party lifestyle.
  • Annual flight home is provided as a standard benefit
  • The job is in the oil production industry
  • It's direct-hire as an employee, not contractor etc.
  • Health insurance is provided.
  • The job has responsibility over several applications... that they are up and running, do what they need to do, are changed/enhanced as needed... with a touch of development work as well. (This isnt a "my keyboard doesnt work" IT role)
  • An end-of-service bonus is offered, basically 1 month salary. Annual bonuses are offered based on company + personal performance. Annual increases given according to my performance.
  • I work for the overall same company here, just in a different sector. I have a high performance record which the hiring manager has full access to see. The Doha employee handbook indicates I would get a housing + transport allowance suited to my job level, but no idea how much. Accom/car won't be provided.

Assuming the "is it worth it guide" has guided me correctly ... I would be quite happy with an all-inclusive package of 42750 QAR/mo... and wouldn't want anything below 37000 QAR/mo. Note that they don't have a real pension - they instead just give a 10% "allowance" on top of the salary. So the range could be seen as 33k - 38k +pension. (Probably not exactly as the 10% may not be based on the housing/transport allowances... but you get the picture)

So with all that info -- can anyone shed light on my target range... am I aiming too high? Online salary websites seem to have very limited and broad-ranged salary data, but they point to a range of 25-30k QAR/mo, which tells me the hiring manager might think I'm nuts to ask for 45k (assuming a counter would take place).

Appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by stormwynd; Jul 23rd 2014 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:27 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formulating a target salary

I think they will make you an offer very similar to your before tax salary that you are getting with them now, only with some differing allowances made for the new location, perhaps for accommodation etc.

Health insurance and EOSB are legally mandatory. I can't comment from experience in your particular industry but I would be surprised to see a 30% rise on your current salary.

But you never know I guess.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AaronAdair
You would be lucky to have that much increase in your current salary as according to your experience and performance record before tax salary is quite sufficient. Pension and helthcare facility must be mandatory and they really trust you as a hard worker.
You seem to be a rather misguided soul, don't you?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OleJanx
You seem to be a rather misguided soul, don't you?
What are you implying
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I guess I'm just trying to find where the line in the sand is... there are posts all over this forum of "I wouldn't move to Doha for X piddly amount"... "the only reason to take a job in the ME is to build savings" ... etc.

Anyhoo, in my current situation I can tuck away about $1k USD per month living a comfortable life. Judging by the replies here, if I take a Doha salary roughly equal to my current pretax pay... my savings 'potential' would be $3k USD per month.

Flights anywhere outside the ME don't look cheap at all so any number of weekend trips would be quite expensive... overall tripling my savings capability is still nice though I guess. I was just hoping for something shinier. Yes, from greed :P
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stormwynd
What are you implying
Aaron Adair. He's made a few needless posts, generally stating the bloody obvious. A potential spammer and no mistake.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:27 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I guess I'm just trying to find where the line in the sand is... there are posts all over this forum of "I wouldn't move to Doha for X piddly amount"... "the only reason to take a job in the ME is to build savings" ... etc.

Anyhoo, in my current situation I can tuck away about $1k USD per month living a comfortable life. Judging by the replies here, if I take a Doha salary roughly equal to my current pretax pay... my savings 'potential' would be $3k USD per month.

Flights anywhere outside the ME don't look cheap at all so any number of weekend trips would be quite expensive... overall tripling my savings capability is still nice though I guess. I was just hoping for something shinier. Yes, from greed :P
I think you have to understand that everyone is coming from a different perspective and try to make your decision based on your circumstances.

Without being patronising, I think matching your salary would be good, an increase would be great. Basing it on having only 4 years experience, being in an IT type role (which is generally non western in the ME), and the fact that you don't have a party lifestyle. So the normal implied compensation people look for is to make up for an expected 'reduced' lifestyle to what they have now, doesn't apply in your case.
Personally speaking having been on an extended holiday in Denmark last year, I loved the place and wouldn't leave it for UAE especially at 32. I think that another 4-6 years experience, perhaps moving to a more managerial role rather than hands on will be much more financially rewarding at that stage. Career advancement is not generally on the cards in the ME. But at 32 I was much more concerned with having a good time rather than saving so I suppose that is the difference.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I think you have to understand that everyone is coming from a different perspective and try to make your decision based on your circumstances.

Without being patronising, I think matching your salary would be good, an increase would be great. Basing it on having only 4 years experience, being in an IT type role (which is generally non western in the ME), and the fact that you don't have a party lifestyle. So the normal implied compensation people look for is to make up for an expected 'reduced' lifestyle to what they have now, doesn't apply in your case.
Personally speaking having been on an extended holiday in Denmark last year, I loved the place and wouldn't leave it for UAE especially at 32. I think that another 4-6 years experience, perhaps moving to a more managerial role rather than hands on will be much more financially rewarding at that stage. Career advancement is not generally on the cards in the ME. But at 32 I was much more concerned with having a good time rather than saving so I suppose that is the difference.
Thanks weasel... your logic makes sense.

There's nothing wrong with Denmark necessarily, although I'd guess you didn't come holiday here in the winter... and yes I'd agree summer can be paradise. Last summer was the best year here out of the last 5. It can also be cloudy and rainy and then dump you right back into the dark winter.

Anyhow, my main reason for moving on is simply that I've been here for 5 years now and I really want to move on, experience more places, people, culture.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AaronAdair
Preferences are not same for all the people as here his primary concern is saving and nothing else so he must go for that.
Off goes Yoda again with with his witless observations.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Off goes Yoda again with with his witless observations.
Hpefully the door will hit him as he leaves the building
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:42 am
Just Joined

The company has gone silent after the first interview, so I'm assuming that's a dead end.

Now going after an opportunity in Dubai; can I leave all my figures in "is it worth it..." the same? Or are there drastic differences between costs of Dubai vs Doha?

Thks
Andrew
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The company has gone silent after the first interview, so I'm assuming that's a dead end.

Now going after an opportunity in Dubai; can I leave all my figures in "is it worth it..." the same? Or are there drastic differences between costs of Dubai vs Doha?

Thks
Andrew
Semi irrelevant question.

If you'd budgeted 10,000 a month for accommodation in Doha, you'll find something for 10,000 in Dubai. Easily.