Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Family Office in Saudi - Salary?

Family Office in Saudi - Salary?

Old Oct 25th 2014, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold
Default Family Office in Saudi - Salary?

So last week I was contacted for a position in Riyadh, KSA through some contacts.

I am familiar with the GCC; I have lived in Abu Dhabi (09-11) and was considering a position in Doha which I have passed on. I have been once back in the day in Riyadh for 3 days but I didn't almost leave the Diplomatic Quarter (just for the hotel next to one of the two skyscrapers, the triangular one) so I got well boozed and well fed. Not very Saudi experience. In addition, it was in November so the weather was beautiful, no humidity. Yet it still felt oppressive.

They have shown me the position which is very interesting (on paper), and something I have experience on. It is not like I am the only person in the world who can do that, but I think they want my twist. They are asking me for a salary.

I have inquired two different people about this family, and they have mixed reviews about them.

So I made 20,000 AED + housing + car back in 2009 in Abu Dhabi (1-year experience in the middle of the Western downturn) and now I make EUR 62k in Brussels which is a decent salary for the country and my age (30). Granted taxes are horrible in Belgium, the UK is heaven by comparison.

Since I am not crazy about Saudi, I was thinking to go higher and ask SAR 40k pcm + package. On the paper is a Senior Manager for the Financial Sector. And this is a niche position for a family who have loads of monnies.

My question is:

- Is it normal they don't offer a salary and just ask "how much do you want"? Is that good or bad sign?

- Could they be put off by salary expectations and say good bye?

- Would they negotiate from there?

- How more (or less) pay Saudi today compared to the UAE?

- Do local companies there may on average more or less than Western?

What is your feeling about Saudi people and negotiating salary conditions? I am not that familiar with the country.

Thanks!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Family Office in Saudi - Salary?

No reply?

Well today at 7.30 AM Central European Time (9.30 AM in Riyadh with winter time, since there is working day) I sent back my proposal explaining them that I would be a great fit for their company.

I told them I would be interested on around SR 40k and the "typical expat package" yet I am on single status.

No reply yet. How long should I wait in Saudi Arabia to get back to them? They were so in a hurry for me to offer them a reply and now no reply.

Let's see...
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

My question is:

- Is it normal they don't offer a salary and just ask "how much do you want"? Is that good or bad sign?

Sometimes. We always ask how much the candidate is already earning and pitch our offer based on that, but also on our standard salary grades. They will have an idea of how much they want to pay you.

- Could they be put off by salary expectations and say good bye?
They won't be put off by negotiations generally. Of course, they will always try to get you for a lower salary.

- Would they negotiate from there?
Most probably.

- How more (or less) pay Saudi today compared to the UAE?
Don't know - I expect it's slightly higher.

- Do local companies there may on average more or less than Western?
Generally, speaking, the Westerners will be on par with the Saudi's in terms of salaries, so they will be on good salary packages. As you may know, salaries are pretty much based on nationalities. the more 'Western ' you are, the more you'll get. eg Western Europe / North American will attract the higher salaries.

What is your feeling about Saudi people and negotiating salary conditions? I am not that familiar with the country.
They'll always negotiate, but will have already have a limit of what they'll pay and stick to that.

As you know, the working week now is Sun to Thursday GMT+3. If they're interested, I'd imagine they'll get back to you pretty soon.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

nottmbantam, thanks for your reply. It is appreciated.

Monday (2nd working week there) and no reply. Would you call them in a few days? I would do that in the West but again I am not familiar with Saudi companies.

Btw, after exchanging some quick emails during last week, they sent me an email on Thursday afternoon and I delayed my reply to Sunday morning, considering it was the weekend there.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine they are mulling it over and will get back to you in good time. They can either move very quickly or very slowly - never seems to be anything inbetween.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I would imagine they are mulling it over and will get back to you in good time. They can either move very quickly or very slowly - never seems to be anything inbetween.
Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated.

I plan to come back to them later on the week or maybe by next week. Maybe I have frightened them.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

So it is "Monday" in Saudi and haven't heard back from them.

Would you call back?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:35 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewCaledonia
So it is "Monday" in Saudi and haven't heard back from them.

Would you call back?
When they get up off their arses they'll be in touch.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
When they get up off their arses they'll be in touch.
What i find strange is that they haven't replied. Something like "Hi NewCaledonia, thanks for your email. We will get back to you in due time".
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

There's geological time and then there's Saudi HR time....you will have to badger them gently and repeatedly to get a result..
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
There's geological time and then there's Saudi HR time....you will have to badger them gently and repeatedly to get a result..
Thanks. I actually didn't deal with HR but with my potential (Saudi) manager.

I don't like HR managers in general (sorry if someone if offended) and nonetheless in the Middle East (I worked in Abu Dhabi before) where your standard HR manager is a) an Indian who thinks you are coming from Pakistan and never took a plane, b) a Lebanese lady who is in her iPhone chatting the whole day or c) a local with very flexible working hours.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

desertman is an unknown quantity at this point

any updates?
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'd quite fancy Brussels. Are you not Belgian?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Well I passed on it.

First, communication was a bit on and off and I got pissed off and we didn't get an agreement.

Secondly, while talking to some people who know a bit about the country/region they discouraged me to move there with the current economic (oil price, and that was a friend at one large British oil company :P ) and political situation.

And honestly I know I would get tired of it... I guess I am older and less keen to deal with the Arab / GCC mentality. If you know what I mean...

Then also I thought about moving to the region. That would involve all the visa issues but then buying a car, renting a flat (I guess in Saudi it is also 1 year lease)... too many headaches. At least I know if I would move to let's say, London, I can ride the metro and more flexibility in rentals.

Originally Posted by flares
I'd quite fancy Brussels. Are you not Belgian?
No, I just live there.