Is everything so slow?!?!?

Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Headstart is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is everything so slow?!?!?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can give us some advice on jojb applications timescales?

We are looking to move out to the ME and my husband has been applying (since july ) for many civil engineering postitons (has 20 yrs exp) has had one telephone interview and shortlisted for this job (they found him) but everything is soooooooooo slow - took one week to email JD to him and still waiting for the syco tests to arrive two weeks later........it this the normal timescales?

We are so looking forward to moving and getting on with our new lives but this is so demoralising!!!!

Thanks for any advice (and I so hope its postive!!!)
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is everything so slow?!?!?

Originally Posted by Headstart
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can give us some advice on jojb applications timescales?

We are looking to move out to the ME and my husband has been applying (since july ) for many civil engineering postitons (has 20 yrs exp) has had one telephone interview and shortlisted for this job (they found him) but everything is soooooooooo slow - took one week to email JD to him and still waiting for the syco tests to arrive two weeks later........it this the normal timescales?

We are so looking forward to moving and getting on with our new lives but this is so demoralising!!!!

only two weeks?!

things here don't move first. The first thing you learn is patience, then it's dealing with administration, then it's just acceptance.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to middle east
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks, that made me smile!! and feel more postive now thanks
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

From my first interview (with the only company I applied with) to when I was hired was approximately.....ta de dah....two weeks.

But this was during the boom. Things are different now.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Headstart
Hi

unfortunately yes it is slow, and there are many people here that have uae experience and are cheaper to employ on a local contract than bringing new people over. expect the procedure to take months sometimes. there are quite a few people here in the civils profession with more than 20 years experience too. fact of life here waiting and waiting and waiting, as called lalalalaland.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

waiting for the syco tests to arrive two weeks later........it this the normal timescales?

think you have lost the letter "p".
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

from being offered the job, negotiating my package and moving out took me a total 6 months more or less! then they give you 2 weeks in a hotel to find somewhere to live
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

from first interview to starting the new job in Dubai... 7 months.

I've been in the new job 2 months... still no health insurance card, blackberry, remote IT access, mobile phone, car parking space, security card for the door, signed employment contract...

yet I have a visa, no idea how they did it without the key documentation in place!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the insight everyone - I'll pack the t-shirts and unpack the christmas tree

and if and when we do get lucky and now know what to expect!!

Thanks
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:45 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to re-assure you. I've heard stories of promised contracts that have arrived exceptionaly late, caused all sorts of delays and ended up in situations where the employer tries to bully their new employee to drop everything and come out on 3-4 days notice.

Meh..still faster than life in Africa though where tomorrow is another day.