Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ease of Changing Jobs Later

Ease of Changing Jobs Later

Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:58 am
Just Joined

spf50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ease of Changing Jobs Later

I have been offered a job in UAE. The situation is that the job doesn't match my career plans and has a lower salary than I was earning before but due to economic necessity I don't have other options at moment but to accept, which is a similar situation to many other people just now.

I am a UK engineer and want to understand the ease of moving jobs at a later date and how cooperative international companies in the UAE typically tend to be. I know after 3 years you can move without an NOC and after 1 year if the company gives an NOC you can move. 3 years bondage is too much!! 1 to 2 years I can put up with.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ease of Changing Jobs Later

Not easy- but depends on your company I guess. Within my contract I'm not allowed to work for a competitor in the Middle East for 36 months after my end of work- unheard of in the UK! Usually I would get 6 months gardening leave in the UK but I signed the contract as I don't actually think there are any competitors here with their design offices based out here so not an issue for me really.

I have heard of people having to pay x ammount of money for every month they leave before their 3 year period is up- so if you leave after 12 months you would have to pay x ammount X 24, I heard of it being 5 grand a month.... so a wopping 120000 AED. Also paying to get out of being banned for 6 months is possible without the NOC.

If you have a trail period you could extend it to 6 months which would make it easier to leave early.

How you ask your company on their policies before you start working for them I'm not sure!

Personally I would say if your not sure don't take it.

PS I may be wrong on some of this but am just saying what i have heard.

Godd luck
kittycat
xxx
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Within my contract I'm not allowed to work for a competitor in the Middle East for 36 months after my end of work-
I realise it is not an issue for you but hypothetically isn't the contract terminated when you leave? So how would ex-employers be able to pursue you for this. There is no longer a contract!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's part of your contract- I know of people (ok one person) in the UK that have broken their gardening leave and have been sued by their previous employer.

I'll probably go back to being self employed once I've finished here so different kettle of fish entirely. Always seemed silly to me that as a consultant you can have several clients that are competitors and it isn't a problem and you know all the private and confidential stuff as much as when you're a full time employee, and as a consultant I've never been asked to sign a contract- its always me that asks them! But when your reputation is everything you wouldn't abuse the information that you are given. Unless you're selling out for a lot of money
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kittycat1
How you ask your company on their policies before you start working for them I'm not sure!

Personally I would say if your not sure don't take it.

Godd luck
kittycat
xxx
I did think about asking but not sure how to frame it without showing lack of commitment at the outset.

I agree in principle that if you are not sure don't take it, but practicalities are another thing particularly when you have a family to support. I think many people are having to compromise like this in ME just now.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand that, but being out here can be miserable at the best of times let alone if you are stuck in a job you hate. I always say trust yoru gut instict- it's rarely wrong

xxx
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:13 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

3 years with the same employer is bondage?

Would hate to see your CV.....
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

I think you are taking things out of context.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:13 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

Depends entirely on industry and career stage, not an issue in many industries and desirable to have moved in some (including mine).

On OPs question: A fixed term contract may well be different but on an open contract moving jobs isn't as hard as people make out. If you're working within a freezone and move to another company in the freezone it's not even considered a move since your sponsorship is with the freezone and moving to any government entity (which is a large proportion of employers here) is never an issue as there's no need for an NOC.

It's a perfectly valid tactical move right now to find less than ideal employment and keep your head down for couple of years - you never know, it might open up into something you hadn't thought of that you really like.